I am in a mess and don't know what to do

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know that balance on all my cards. It is worse than I thought :eek:I am looking at my SOA to see what I can cut down on. I could cut out the presents, entertainment and clothing budget. I think I may be able to manage the grocery budget for £40 a week once I have filled the freezer this week.

I spoke to water company yesterday and they have agreed to payment by DD when the bill arrives rather than on a monthly payment plan. If I multiply the bill we received recently by 2 (6 monthly metered bills) the monthly figure could be cut down to £26 a month.

Not much but better than nothing
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Depending on how your house was constructed, you may well find that your storm water goes to a soak-a-way rather than away via the drainage system.

You can ask the water company if they can check this out with a quick dye test. If your storm water goes to a soakaway, then your water bill will be reduced to reflect this.

Some people have made mention of Bank accounts being closed when the Bank / Building Society sees you have entered a DMP or IVA. This normally only occurs if the account is overdrawn and is therefore classed as a 'debt' by whoever it is who handles your DMP or IVA.

I will say that it is worth speaking to your credit card providers ad explaining the situation. A former workmate spoke to his when his financial situation changed and they stopped the interest payments for 12 months whilst he got himself sorted.
    It did,however, mean that his card was frozen and could not be used, but it also meant that by continuing to pay the same amount each month, he was reducing the balance by not only the minimum payment, but by the amount they would have charged him in interest as well.

If you don't ask, then you will never know.

Oh, and you can do a DMP by yourself. There are a few peole on here who have undertaken self-managed DMP's. It just means that you have to do a bit of work yourself to set it up, but it also means that the payments out of your joint account wion't show as 'Payplan' or 'Step Change', but as the same name as they always have.
    This makes it easier to hide the debts from your husband.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The water goes into the drains. I am not doing a DMP
  • racing_blue
    racing_blue Posts: 961 Forumite
    Options
    Sell your house. Repay the mortgage and the loans. Buy a cheaper place outright with some of the cash you have left. Buy in the place you spend your daily life, then you will only need one car. Sell the other car. Sorted with a bigger bank balance, a smaller house (less to heat and clean) and a simpler life?

Admittedly this "final solution" would involve telling your OH!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    uselessnow wrote: »
    He works all over the country so there is no where that is near his work. He works from home some weeks as well.
    We prefer to stay here because I am near my family and that is a great help with my health condition.

We can not afford to sell the house and there is nowhere we can move at present.

As said in previous posts I need my car for my disability.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am going under. I can't cope
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    uselessnow wrote: »
    I am going under. I can't cope
    Are you sure there's no way you can talk to your husband about this? If it's weighing on you this heavily then you need his support.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Are you sure there's no way you can talk to your husband about this? If it's weighing on you this heavily then you need his support.

No I can't talk to him. At the moment things are going very wrong in the marriage and we argue every day. This is without him knowing anything about the huge debts I have. I am scared of him when he gets angry eventhough he has never hit me

I am on my own in all this
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you have a friend or family member who you feel you can trust. Just to get things off your chest sometimes help you think straight.

If not a lot of folks here rate Christians Against poverty. It's someone to talk to and help you think. And sometimes it's easier to talk to a stranger who doesn't know you.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Have you stopped adding to your debts?

If your SOA is accurate then you can make all your minimum payments so you are not yet in debt crisis. By paying the minimums each month your debt is reducing very slowly, but it is reducing.

If you can't work, what about doing surveys online? The vouchers could pay for Christmas presents and thus save you the presents budget to pay off cards. I'm thinking there is no pressure in doing occasional surveys and you can fit them around you.

Start by using a spending diary to ensure your SOA is accurate. You can also look at old bank statements to ensure nothing is missing.
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure