I am in a mess and don't know what to do

Options
I need help please!!!!!!!
I am in a terrible mess with money and I don't know how to sort it out. I have had advice before but I have no real memory of what I was told. I apologise asking for help again but because of my illness my memory isn't as good as it was.

I am approx. £20000 in debt :eek:. The majority of it is mine. OH doesn't know anything about it and he can not find out. The card that we both spend on for petrol, food etc is paid off in full every month.

I can't get my head around how to try and sort it all out.

Comments

• dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make a cup,of tea and sit down and work out your SOA.

Have you anything you can sell ?
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    How do I do a SOA please?

I think I have sold most things that were around
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's here

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

At the end format for MSE

It can be sorted :)
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's a statement of affairs (soa) there is a link here on the site somewhere. I hope someone will be along with it shortly.

Nothing is hopeless but you do need to try and focus on what is causing you to overspend so much. Sorry it's got so stressful for you.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,917 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    uselessnow wrote: »
    How do I do a SOA please?

I think I have sold most things that were around

Link here :

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi

I have been there so I can really sympathise. My OH knew we were in debt but didnt know how bad it was, or understand what a mess our finances were in.

Is this debt from before you were together? Although you say the majority of the debt is yours is it really? In my case the debt was mainly from us living beyond our means which was as much OHs fault as mine. I just kept it a secret from him. It took me a while to get my head around this.

Before you post any figures make sure they are accurate - not what you would like them to be! You maybe need to go back over the last few bank statements and work out exactly where your money is going - very scary stuff but very important. You cant work out a plan for the future if you dont know where you are now. There are options but you need to be brave and take control of it.

Good luck. I can absolutely guarantee that there will be someone on here who has been in a worse situation and sorted it out. We have nearly cleared our debts now and although money is still very tight I have learned so much about budgeting and managing our finances.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    uselessnow wrote: »
    I am approx. £20000 in debt :eek:. The majority of it is mine.

Whose is the bit that isn't yours, how much is it, and why are you including it in the balance of your debt?
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everything is better once it's shared. Are you sure you can't tell your husband?

To sort out debt at that level you both need to be onboard really, and you are doing him a huge disservice not sharing it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 21 June 2015 at 8:48PM
    Options
    About £18500 is mine. Rest is everyday living. I spend when my depression kicks in. It has all appeared over last 8 yrs since diagnosed with illness and made redundant.
  • katsu
    katsu Posts: 4,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Can you get rid of your other cards so you can't spend any more? Cut them up or put them in the freezer etc.

Maybe allow yourself eg £20 per month to spend on treats and have that in cash - if you run out, you have to wait for next month. That way you can still have tasty treats or clothes from the supermarket or charity shop - might be easier than trying to not spend anything?
    Debt at highest: £8k. Debt Free 31/12/2009. Original MFD May 2036, MF Dec 2018.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure