I am in a mess and don't know what to do

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,683 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Can you move any of the cards on to 0% deals? You would normally start clearing the one with the highest interest rate first by paying minimum payment on others and throwing everything you can spare to that one.

Do you need two cars if you no longer work or do you need that because of your health?

You have admitted the spending is psychological because of depression and well done for cutting up the cards. The next thing is to find something else to focus on when you are feeling depressed. Do you have a good friend or someone you can talk to if you really cannot tell your OH? The weight and worry of the debt is no doubt adding to your depression so sharing that may help.

Finally although it looks like a mountain to you, £20k is by no means the largest amount of debt to deal with so you can do it but it would be easier with your partners' help. Incidentally what are you spending on? Has your partner not noticed lots of new purchases?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I still need my car for health issues. Both cars are fully paid for, no finance on them.
    I spend on items for my hobbies, lunch when I am out but alot if it just disappears with nothing to show for it.
    Oh never looks at bank statement. He trusts me
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sat here trying to work out how to cut back on items. Going to look back through receipts in my handbag and work out what I spend in the supermarket
  • amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    Keep a spending diary; even if only on your phone. I stopped taking my purse out with me when walking into town, just take enough for a coffee and nothing else, that way I'm not tempted.
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • amorge
    amorge Posts: 386 Forumite
    Options
    and what about doing online surveys? They can be quite time consuming but if you're at home a lot it might be worth it :)
    LBM 18/06/15 - [STRIKE]£20,276.64[/STRIKE] :eek:
    01/07/15 - £19,897.02
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    do you and your OH have any joint finances (bills? bank accounts?) if so you HAVE to discuss this with your partner. IF you don't it's not fair on him and you're just sticking your head in the sand. Sorry, but that's the truth.
  • joeblags
    joeblags Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    £300'000 house but only a mortgage of £506 a month? im just randomly reading around and this thread confused me. I have a bigger monthly wage and the most mortgage I could get if I ever wanted wouldn't be much more than £100'00
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    do you and your OH have any joint finances (bills? bank accounts?) if so you HAVE to discuss this with your partner. IF you don't it's not fair on him and you're just sticking your head in the sand. Sorry, but that's the truth.

As said previously it is not going to be discussed with oh
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    joeblags wrote: »
    £300'000 house but only a mortgage of £506 a month? im just randomly reading around and this thread confused me. I have a bigger monthly wage and the most mortgage I could get if I ever wanted wouldn't be much more than £100'00

The house was new when we bought it 15yrs since and the cost was £123995. Our mortgage was £98000. We have an offset mortgage and this is now the figure outstanding.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have acknowledged you have a problem which is a big step. Many people just ignore the debt but you want to tackle it so good on you!

I would start by getting rid of the spending temptation. Get rid of the cards and don't borrow. Then get spending money out each week / fortnight or month and put it in an envelope. That's your spending money and what you have to stick to. Once its gone its gone and you have to wait for the next one.
    Next I would speak to your creditors and negotiate a repayment plan if you can. They might stop the interest and allow a fixed sum each month. You need some money left over. If you feel skint all the time you will get fed up and probably go and overspend at some point. Be aware it will negatively impact your credit rating but that might be worth it for peace of mind, knowing you can afford your debts and they won't be getting any bigger and at a certain point they will be gone.
    I have a lot more debt than you and that's what I did. The weight off my mind knowing I had discussed it with my creditors and come to an arrangement was great.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure