Harrassed by a Bully

Options

Comments

• FoxyGuyHawoo
    Options
    I think this is what happened:

- Cinzano became a regular parker during business hours, but bought nothing from his particular shop
    - The shop owner felt his business threatened because the parking space was ideal for customers
    - The shop owner had to communicate to Cinzano to stop it. Had he directly asked her to move on, she'd remind him that she's perfectly within her rights. Then, if he tried to covertly force her out, she'd be able to suss out who was doing it and why, and knowing why (that he wanted to move her on when she was perfectly within her rights) she'd just do it even more and everyone else would do it when word spreads and he'd have his hands tied because everyone would know it's him that's trying to force people out of that space etc. etc.
    - Therefore the shop owner decided to make a low-key expression of his disgust by parking right close to her. In doing so, he was asking her: "You can leave, l am stuck here. What's it worth to you, really?"
    - The shop owner's plan to keep everything low-key backfired when Cinzano called his bluff and got OH to weigh in. By the way, l can't understand why Cinzano escalated by getting her OH involved. That was actually the defining moment of this whole saga.
    - Now shop owner is in a situation, fuelled by ego and desperate needs that are semi-legit. Deep down inside he probably doesn't want this.
    - Cinzano is in that situation with him, fuelled by legit ego and some semi-legit desperation (he's making nuisance calls, not really that dangerous though). Deep down inside, does she want OH to battle it out? Or does she just want to get out of the situation the easiest way possible?
    - The police seem to agree that the shop owner is being ego (i.e. a total jerk) plus having semi-legit desperate needs. Also, he pays business rates and therefore their wages.
    - Everything about this tells me that Cinzano should just back away, park elsewhere - and the police agree with me on this.

Other possible factors:
    - Business rates and keeping shop - massive headache
    - Shop owner has the hots for Cinzano
    - Is the shop owner dashing in any way? Maternal instincts?
    - Shop owner has family / marital problems
    - Drugs
    - And more.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    - The police seem to agree that the shop owner is being ego (i.e. a total jerk) plus having semi-legit desperate needs. Also, he pays business rates and therefore their wages.

Hahahahahahaa

Zero justification in any of your points, but that takes the biscuit.
  • FoxyGuyHawoo
    Options
    stugib wrote: »
    Hahahahahahaa

Zero justification in any of your points, but that takes the biscuit.

Of course it's unreasonable (least of all because Cinzano also pays taxes, by working and even by buying petrol for her car), but there's a small element of truth there. I was just being tongue in cheek, weaving through different slants on the issue to reach a conclusion that captures the essence of everyone involved.
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    I was just being tongue in cheek
    Glad to hear it!!
  • FoxyGuyHawoo
    Options
    Had he directly asked her to move on, she'd remind him that she's perfectly within her rights. .

Nowhere am l saying it's fair, but it's just a day in the life. Until the shop owner got weird.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    And yes, there might even be a real need for that parking space to be cleared.

So, l'll end with the same question that nasty (and he is nasty) shop owner was subliminally asking you right from the very beginning: "What's it worth to you?"

To those arguing the real need for the space.....he lost a second space while hemming her in. If parking were such an issue then he might have cost himself customers.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Another angle - do we *know* who owns and operates the spaces in the pull-in? It could quite easily be private property, and there's no automatic right to park there, for instance.
  • cinzano
    cinzano Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    .The layby is on a public road owned by the council. No restrictions or yellow lines. During the past 3 years I have been parking in the layby I have never witnessed any customers in his shop. He sells alcohol only so maybe at the times I was parking it was not a busy time for his trade. I checked the layby again today and no cars parked there at all. The shop keepers tend to park on the large paved area directly in front of the shops. Only 3 shops open during the day.
  • RS2000.
    RS2000. Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    It's the council who deal with anti social behaviour. Speak to them if the police can't /won't help.
    You need to keep a diary.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/taking-action-about-discrimination/taking-action-about-harassment/

Er no it's a police matter.

As already stated make a complaint of harassment or malicious communications and get them to serve a Police Information Notice.
  • cinzano
    cinzano Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Would I be able to do this if he is withholding his number? After all I have no evidence it is him. Although what he gains from ringing a number that never answers is beyond me. No customers and bored I suppose !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure