Harrassed by a Bully

Options
For the past 3 years I have been parking my car in a layby on a public road. There is a parade of shops set back in front of the layby. Some of which I regularly use. Over the last couple of months one of the owner of the shops has been parking his car extremely close to mine on purpose The whole of the layby is regularly empty and I only have a small car. The owner of the shop in question only opens at 10am and I am gone by 12.30pm.
The man has never once asked me not to park my car there. On Friday he had parked so close he had almost hit my car. You could not run your finger between the two. Again, he stayed in his shop and never spoke to me. I took a picture and forwarded it to my OH. My OH called into his shop on Friday evening and asked why he was intimidating me in this manner. He screamed at my husband to get out of his shop and confronted him as well as spitting in his face as he spoke. He took a photograph of my husbands van and has since bombarded us with 'anonymous' calls. My OH has answered the calls on 2 occasions and he laughs and puts the phone down. He leaves a 1 to 2 minute gap and then rings again sometimes for up to half an hour. I spoke to the police and they have advised to me to give him a wide berth and park elsewhere even though I am quite right to park where I have been. They also agreed that this man is a bully and a coward who would not be able to intimidate a man in the same way, but unfortunately as no crime had been committed there is little they can do. I am starting to feel the stress of these calls now. I have not parked in the layby since Friday.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Report him to the phone operator as a nuisance caller.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 June 2015 at 7:48AM
    Options
    It's the council who deal with anti social behaviour. Speak to them if the police can't /won't help.
    You need to keep a diary.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/taking-action-about-discrimination/taking-action-about-harassment/
  • hollydays
    Options
    Do you mean you took a picture of the car or him?
  • pendragon_arther
    Options
    How did he get your phone number and name?
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
  • hollydays
    Options
    How did he get your phone number and name?
    Number off husbands van?
  • cinzano
    cinzano Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Hollydays .... I took a picture of how close he had parked to my car but my husband took a picture of him whist he was screaming abuse at him. He did indeed get the number off my husbands van but he's not to know that number belongs to him. It could be a company van. I don't think he cares that much, he is just enjoying harassing whoever. I have told my OH not to answer any more calls in the hope he will get fed up.
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you park your car at either end of the layby, giving you enough room to get out but not enough room for someone to block you in; so no matter how close they park to you , you always have the space to manoeuvre ?
    Contact your phone provider with all the different numbers he phones you on and get them to block them.
    Don't retaliate keep calm and professional as you both have been.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • cinzano
    cinzano Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks enjoyyourshoes I have started to park somewhere completely different since Monday. The coward is not brave enough to show his phone number. It is always 'no caller id'
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Nodding_Donkey Posts: 2,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    His tactics have worked though haven't they :(
  • hollydays
    Options
    His tactics have worked though haven't they :(
    Not sure what you are saying here?
    I'm sure the op is well aware of feeling anxious and harrassed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure