Benefits, self-emplyment, "gainful employment" and "minimum income floor"?

Options
Can anyone please explain these all to me? Particularly what is meant and how benefits are affected by:
  • gainful employment
  • minimum income floor
I just can't work out how this is going to apply to us, even if I wasn't a student.
I'm studying at uni, we have three kids (youngest is almost three) so claim CTC and HB, and my wife has just started a home bakery business so we've started claiming WTC (our area isn't UC yet). We're trying to be prepared for when the youngest hit full-time school age and my wife will be forced to find work in order for us to keep receiving the various benefits.
So how do they asses if it counts as 'gainful employment', and how do they work out the 'minimum income floor' for us as a couple? I read somewhere that my income counts towards it as a couple? Its not written anywhere in plain and simple English.
Also, if anyone knows what's going to happen long-term in terms of HB, that'd be great too!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
- Mark Twain
Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
«13456712

Comments

  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naf wrote: »
    Can anyone please explain these all to me? Particularly what is meant and how benefits are affected by:
    • gainful employment
    • minimum income floor
    I just can't work out how this is going to apply to us, even if I wasn't a student.
    I'm studying at uni, we have three kids (youngest is almost three) so claim CTC and HB, and my wife has just started a home bakery business so we've started claiming WTC (our area isn't UC yet). We're trying to be prepared for when the youngest hit full-time school age and my wife will be forced to find work in order for us to keep receiving the various benefits.
    So how do they asses if it counts as 'gainful employment', and how do they work out the 'minimum income floor' for us as a couple? I read somewhere that my income counts towards it as a couple? Its not written anywhere in plain and simple English.
    Also, if anyone knows what's going to happen long-term in terms of HB, that'd be great too!

    Isn't the idea to work so you can stop claiming benefits?
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Isn't the idea to work so you can stop claiming benefits?

    Very helpful [/s]

    Eventually, yes. But to get off benefits right now we'd need to work more hours than is possible. That's why I'm at uni, to improve my earning potential.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Naf wrote: »
    Very helpful [/s]

    Eventually, yes. But to get off benefits right now we'd need to work more hours than is possible. That's why I'm at uni, to improve my earning potential.

    It isn't a question of the number of hours worked, surely if your wife is starting a business she wants it to be successful? Why assume as soon as she's started it that it's going to be unsuccessful,only make a pittance and leave the family on benefits?

    I hope you're not as negative about this venture to your wife as you seem to be on here.
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It isn't a question of the number of hours worked, surely if your wife is starting a business she wants it to be successful? Why assume as soon as she's started it that it's going to be unsuccessful,only make a pittance and leave the family on benefits?

    I hope you're not as negative about this venture to your wife as you seem to be on here.

    You're making a lot of assumptions yourself, I've given you no information that justifies your conclusions, nor have you bothered to ask. So instead of being snarky, could you please be either helpful or quiet?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 June 2015 at 7:58PM
    Options
    Naf wrote: »
    You're making a lot of assumptions yourself, I've given you no information that justifies your conclusions, nor have you bothered to ask. So instead of being snarky, could you please be either helpful or quiet?

    I'm making assumptions based on the information you've provided, which sounds very much as if your wife's "business" is something she's doing to enable her to claim benefits, rather than to make money.

    It isn't even really an assumption on my part as you've stated as much yourself. Fortunately, many of these loopholes are being tightened up nowadays.

    Anyway, FYI

    http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/spru/pubs/pdf/rrep829summ.pdf
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps you could read this link. Claiming WTC - Self Employed
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Options
    Are you asking about Universal Credit or the new working tax credit rules?

    IQ
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm making assumptions based on the information you've provided, which sounds very much as if your wife's "business" is something she's doing to enable her to claim benefits, rather than to make money.

    It isn't even really an assumption on my part as you've stated as much yourself. Fortunately, many of these loopholes are being tightened up nowadays.


    No you're drawing your own conclusions from very little information at all, then holding that against me. I'm not looking for loopholes, I'm trying to find out how it works to determine if we can live, or if we'll end up homeless. Because the way the system is structured, from my perspective, there's not a third option.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
  • bloolagoon
    bloolagoon Posts: 7,973 Forumite
    Options
    I don't get you. Your wife is surely expecting her business to be profitable otherwise why bother you'd just work. Maybe not now as it takes time but you appear to be expecting it to fail before it's had a chance
    Tomorrow is the most important thing in life
  • Naf
    Naf Posts: 3,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Icequeen99 wrote: »
    Are you asking about Universal Credit or the new working tax credit rules?

    IQ

    How new are the rules? She's only been going a couple of months, so presumably whatever the new ones are?
    But ultimately, I expect, UC is going to take over sooner or later - how different are the rules?
    We just want to make sure we can live, without her going out to work and earning less than nothing after childcare costs. Working from home makes things much more flexible around the kids.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards