We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Good Mosquito Repellent for Cyprus

Options

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As others have suggested, Avon skin-so-soft is effective. I would use it where you are going.

However, if I'm going to a malarial country I always use Autan products. I have never been bitten using Autan.

If possible, wear socks and trousers to keep your feet/ankles covered.......it's the mozzies favourite dining area.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    Options
    Can someone please recommend a tried and trusted brand of Mosquito repellent.

We normally go to Florida and don't bothered as much over there.

I've heard it can be quite bad in Cyprus in July and would welcome any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
    i've been to Cyprus 3 times now and to be honest i've never been bit at all let alone even see a mozzie and usually i'm the one with bites all over me, so you may be ok.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Used Skin so Soft in India (though not type mentioned here, just bought bog standard one) Also used it in conjunction with eating garlic cloves twice a day. Worked a treat...and didn't smell too bad as curry was oozing out of everyone's pores!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • dobba
    dobba Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I would recommend Bens 100 to anyone.

Very effective, will last all day and doesn't smell and get to the back of your throat like most of the repellent sprays you buy in the supermarkets.. The pack may be small but a couple of sprays will cover your whole body and the pack will last for years of holidays.
  • dobba
    dobba Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    PS Bens 100 is available from

http://www.afterbite.co.uk/

Cost is £5.99

People swear by it who have been prone to being bitten even through other repellents.
  • Otago
    Otago Posts: 108 Forumite
    Options
    something to also think about- I usually get bitten quite badly so try everything. In Oz before going to the rainforest, I took high potency Vitamin B1 and garlic every day. This coupled with repellant worked!
    P.s you need to have 2 weeks worth of B1 in your system before you arrive ;)
  • loopyloo_4
    loopyloo_4 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh david, I thought you were my brother then! he he. (same name)
    I have NEVER been bitten in cyprus and am normally covered in bites everywhere else regardless of what repellent i use. However, someone told me a few years ago to wear a citrus oil and that seems to work for me.
    Have a fab holiday
    Life is not about how many breaths you take.... Its about how many moments take your breath away

Member of £2 coin savers = total so far £8
  • nikkig_3
    nikkig_3 Posts: 142 Forumite
    Options
    a good tip I was given is carry the mozzy spray in your hand luggage and as soon as you get to the arrivals lounge have a good spray especially if on a night flight!
  • trisha
    trisha Posts: 488 Forumite
    Options
    Boots own brand, I also use Boots Soltan Sun lotion with insect repellant and when I go out in the evening I apply Boots aftersun with insect repellant, I keep a rollon repellent with me and keep applying it to my ankles and feet etcwhen I am out in the evening, you have to wage war on them
  • HLK
    HLK Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    I'm also severely allergic to mossie bites, one bite can end up about 8 inches accross and half an inch deep.. and they LOVE me! Forested areas are the worst. I have tried everything but usually end up at a gp's getting antihistamine inhjections or a combination of creams and tablets. I was advised a few years ago to take calcium tablets starting about 6 weeks before i plan to travel. If I remeber to do this I'm usually fine, but I don't know the science behind it. I guess the 'silver lining' to this tale, is no-one around me for some distance seems to get bothered, and I do not let it stop me travelling.
    Going to try the Avon thing though, heard the SAS use it.
    HLK

"Karma - it's a wonderful thing" - Just ask Earl!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure