MSE News: Motorist takes parking charge challenge to highest UK court

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
105 replies 10.1K views
Former_MSE_PalomaFormer_MSE_Paloma
531 Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
A motorist who vowed to fight on after losing a private parking case has today filed appeal papers to the Supreme Court ...
Read the full story:

Motorist takes parking charge challenge to highest UK court

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We know about this at least a month ago?

Edit: 41 days, according to that article.

I mean, it's good that it's getting covered and all, but it's not news.
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    67.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE Paloma shouldn't this be on the parking and other fines/penalties sub board?
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Herzlos wrote: »
    We know about this at least a month ago?

Edit: 41 days, according to that article.

I mean, it's good that it's getting covered and all, but it's not news.

I think the papers were only filed at the supreme court today
  • arthurx1234arthurx1234 Forumite
    421 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    • In April 2013, Beavis left his car in a retail outlet car park in Chelmsford, Essex, that offered two hours of free parking.
    • Beavis overstayed by 56 minutes and was sent a parking ticket by ParkingEye Limited, which managed the site, ordering him to pay £85, reduced to £50 if he paid within 14 days.
    Beavis overstayed by 56 minutes = GUILTY PAY UP AND SHUT UP

Arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
  • matttyematttye Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    • In April 2013, Beavis left his car in a retail outlet car park in Chelmsford, Essex, that offered two hours of free parking.
    • Beavis overstayed by 56 minutes and was sent a parking ticket by ParkingEye Limited, which managed the site, ordering him to pay £85, reduced to £50 if he paid within 14 days.

Arthur

Do you think £50 or nearly £1 per minute is an acceptable amount to charge for an overstay?
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
  • EctophileEctophile Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭

Arthur

It's a charge for parking - private companies have no legal authority to impose fines, nor to pronounce people "guilty". Is £1 per minute a reasonable parking charge?
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • edited 4 June 2015 at 8:42AM
    arthurx1234arthurx1234 Forumite
    421 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 4 June 2015 at 8:42AM
    It is unreasonable to break the rules and so prevent another person from parking.
    The fine is a deterent.
    He knew the rules and ignored them
    The landowner has been perfectly reasonable by allowing people to park for 2 hours and charging nothing
    He is no better than able bodied motorists who park in supermarket disabled bays
    The rules are there for all
    He has wasted alot of time by dragging this through the courts, but has generated much publicity for his chip shop
    What right has he to overstay by almost 1 hour
    He has abused the 2 hour free parking
    HE SHOULD PAY UP AND SHUT UP

"Do you think £50 or nearly £1 per minute is an acceptable amount to charge for an overstay? " YES It is to deter inconsiderate/ unreasonable/ shameless / selfish/ stupid/ ignorant people from overstaying

Arthur
    BREXIT OOPS
  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is unreasonable to break the rules and so prevent another person from parking.
    The fine is a deterent.
    The landowner has been perfectly reasonable by allowing people to park for 2 hours and charging nothing
    He is no better than able bodied motorists who park in supermarket disabled bays
    He has wasted alot of time by dragging this through the courts, but has generated much publicity for his chip shop

"Do you think £50 or nearly £1 per minute is an acceptable amount to charge for an overstay? " YES It is to deter inconsiderate people from overstaying

Arthur

It's got nothing to do with what's considerate or inconsiderate.

Do they fine people who park over two spaces? When people do this, the car park "thinks" there are more spaces available than there are, it then lets people in who cannot park. This harms people, whereas overstaying only harms the already filthy rich parking company....... So what's actually more "inconsiderate"?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • edited 4 June 2015 at 9:10AM
    ampersandampersand Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 June 2015 at 9:10AM
    ' Last edited by arthurx1234; Today at 8:42 AM.. Reason: spelling'

You missed one -'deterrent'.
    #
    Ignorance galore, as befits this late in the day storyline pick-up by mse.

Go to the Motoring Forum, then click on the blue Parking Ticket sub-Thread.

Read the Newbies Stickies, more than once. Absorb. Learn.

Private Parking scumpanies cannot, do not, issue 'f- - - s'.

Only Police, Council traffic Wardens, and London Transport Police can do that for 'parking events'.

Read Parking Prankster's blog.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• HerzlosHerzlos Forumite
    12.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fine is a deterent.

"Do you think £50 or nearly £1 per minute is an acceptable amount to charge for an overstay? " YES It is to deter inconsiderate/ unreasonable/ shameless / selfish/ stupid/ ignorant people from overstaying

Arthur

You're making a lot of assumptions there.

Plus, as you said it's a deterrent, and private companies aren't allowed to issue fines. So whether he should have parked for as long as he did or not, the penalty isn't actually legal.

If it was a council run car park I'd agree with you, but it wasn't.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals