Marriage Allowance

Options

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    r6mile said:
    My wife submitted her tax return today and applied to transfer marriage allowance to me. I then submitted my own tax return - but my calculation (understandably) did not include the marriage allowance yet. How long should I expect it to take for it to show up on my tax account? Or does it get paid separately from any other tax refunds?
    It's not separate.  Don't know accurate timescales but I wouldn't do anything for at least a couple of weeks.

You should get a new calculation with the Marriage Allowance tax reducer included in due course.
  • fatlazyvegan
    Options
    Hi,
    sorry if this has been previously asked but with so many pages chances are that I missed it.
    I have been a non earner for a while and my wife is a basic rate tax payer. We transferred my tax allowance to her but I will be starting a full-time job soon. My wife will still be earning more than me. Should I now transfer my tax allowance back to me, or will it be done automatically?

Thanks in advance for any advice
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 May 2023 at 2:54PM
    Options
    It won't be done automatically, you will need to cancel it and it will take effect in the 24-25 tax year. Keeping it going will not make any difference to your joint income, just you will pay a bit more tax and her a bit less.  You are still eligible, it is just that is unlikely to be of any benefit.
  • Rizzles69
    Options
    I gave the marriage allowance to my husband and had to pay a small amount of tax myself but then my husband was off work ill most of last year so didn't use the allowance. I wasn't able to cancel as you can only do this for the next financial year. Should I be able to claim my part of the allowance back?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Rizzles69 said:
    I gave the marriage allowance to my husband and had to pay a small amount of tax myself but then my husband was off work ill most of last year so didn't use the allowance. I wasn't able to cancel as you can only do this for the next financial year. Should I be able to claim my part of the allowance back?
    Do you mean you paid some tax in a tax year where your husband (definitely)'didn't receive any benefit from having Marriage Allowance?

If so you could try calling the number here and explaining what's happened and if the application can be cancelled for that year?

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-allowance/if-your-circumstances-change
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your husband could transfer Marriage Allowance to you for that year only.

You don't get your allowances back but you get his marriage allowance transfered to you

I did that when my husband did not need the allowance .
  • Jonty6262
    Jonty6262 Posts: 236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 17 September 2023 at 11:46AM
    Options
    I tranfered the 10% married allowance to my partner and its been that way for the last few tax years. If I remove the transfer and put it back on my allowance using my online account today (17th September 2023/24 tax year) will my partner and I automatically keep the current tax allowances until the start of 2024/25 tax year? We are still together. 

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    Jonty6262 said:
    I tranfered the 10% married allowance to my partner and its been that way for the last few tax years. If I remove the transfer and put it back on my allowance using my online account today (17th September 2023/24 tax year) will my partner and I automatically keep the current tax allowances until the start of 2024/25 tax year? We are still together. 

Yes, that's the standard procedure.

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 September 2023 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Also looking at dropping it for next year.  A whole different tax world out there now with the increase in pensions, increase in interest rates and freezing of allowances means we will likely be better off on our own allowances - will lose a few £ in direct tax which we currently gain from the 19% tax rate but MrsM will get extra tax free interest which it looks like we will need next year.  Will wait until later in the year to see what happens.
  • Jonty6262
    Options
    Jonty6262 said:

Yes, that's the standard procedure.

Thank you, does the same procedure take place if a partner gives you 10% of their allowance? For clarity if they give you 10% today(17th september tax year 2023/24)does that only come into effect from start of 2024/25 tax year or in that scenario would it be backdated to the start of this current tax year(2023/24)?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback