Options
1235»

Comments

• mufi
    mufi Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    geerex wrote: »
    Its not even about planning ahead.... Unless i take the day off, midweek daytime slots are no good, nor are mid/late evening due to various other commitments. So, I'm left with weekend slots which are invariably more expensive. Supply/demand, fair enough, but if they REALLY wanted my custom they could mitigate it with a free delivery or some such.

Don't know if you got one, but about three months ago Tesco sent me a coupon for a year's delivery for £30 (full price is £60, IIRC, which isn't bad either). Bargain; the only condition is minimum spend of £25, so in theory one could have a daily delivery provided the spend was reached.

BTW, according to my local Tesco Manager, the actual cost of each delivery is £15. Having recently encountered a home delivery vehicle in the middle of the North York Moors, about 20 miles from the nearest main road and 40-odd miles from the nearest Tesco, that seems pretty believable.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    mufi wrote: »
    Don't know if you got one, but about three months ago Tesco sent me a coupon for a year's delivery for £30 (full price is £60, IIRC, which isn't bad either). Bargain; the only condition is minimum spend of £25, so in theory one could have a daily delivery provided the spend was reached.

BTW, according to my local Tesco Manager, the actual cost of each delivery is £15. Having recently encountered a home delivery vehicle in the middle of the North York Moors, about 20 miles from the nearest main road and 40-odd miles from the nearest Tesco, that seems pretty believable.

I can't see that being true, perhaps their most expensive delivery could be £15, or even that the stores average is £15 because of location or competition factors, but there's no way that each home delivery costs Tesco £15. That simply isn't going to be viable.

As for the voucher - didn't get one, probably don't use Tesco enough even then to justify it...
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    I love our local Tesco, there are so few customers there that it's almost a pleasant experience :)

Although I only go about once or twice a month for things we can't get closer to us.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 July 2015 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Having chatted to a few friends on the whole most people who are trying to save money seem to be moving away from the "big shop in one store" kind of mentality.

This is bound to hit places like Tesco who rely on you picking up a few cheapies and getting the rest of you items at full price (often higher than other shops) to balance out their profit margins.

We use a variety of shops, mostly Lidl or Aldi and two local farm shops, plus bits/bargains from poundstretcher/b and m/Iceland. But I do look for offers and bargains/vouchers for any of the other big stores and will go in for those. But tbh I am finding more stuff like that in Asda or Morrisons these days, or even co-op with their recent run of offers, even quite like waitrose as they get some pretty good offers on now and the quality is fab, plus a free coffee of course.

Do like clubcard points so use the petrol station and as I said the odd bargain (or bits when they are open and other stores are shut) and use them against days out vouchers. Just swapped £25 of CC vouchers (saved over the year) for £100 for days out on our holiday in the summer :) and my Mum saves her vouchers from this time and next to double up and get a big chunk of the kids uniform for us in August.

Tesco need to get back to putting the customer first rather than obsessively scrambling around for higher profit margins.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco looked at the things I liked to buy and stopped stocking them. They used to make a really nice smoked salmon dip but they don't stock it any more (amongst other things). I now only pop in every few weeks for their Finest black teabags and their Value cat litter.

I now use Waitrose.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    Tesco looked at the things I liked to buy and stopped stocking them. They used to make a really nice smoked salmon dip but they don't stock it any more (amongst other things). I now only pop in every few weeks for their Finest black teabags and their Value cat litter.

I now use Waitrose.

It's infuriating.
    They stopped selling (amongst other things) both Weihenstephan and Paulaner German beers. Pretty niche, you'd think, but the bws supervisor/manager told me they were both in his top ten greatest beer sellers, so much so that the shelf was often emptied each day.
    What did tesco do? Delisted them both, replaced by a Vietnamese beer which has been reduced due to it coming to its bbe, and yet another variety of erdinger which generally gathers a nice layer if dust.
    Perhaps they only sold well in my store and the other local ones I visited. Even so, I doubt they sold as badly as their replacements.

Sod tesco, due to the weak euro I can now import cases of decent German beer for €43.90, around £33 ish. I used to spend £15-£20 more than that in tesco. Their loss.
  • Petra_70
    Petra_70 Posts: 619 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't shopped there in years anyway as we do not have one for 25 miles. No loss. :)
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They closed the only sensible sized Tesco near me about 3 years ago, so I very rarely go to Tesco.
    When I do its for odd bits and bobs, my last shop with them was £5!
    Aldi and Waitrose are my usual shops now.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    BoycoTT them. Local tiger garage always cheaper. And with our points this year we have spent 16 pence to their filthy coffers.

Avoid.
  • SpammyTheSpammer
    SpammyTheSpammer Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ours is great - there at least once a week

I love Tesco - every little helps...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure