Tesco - No longer a customer

Options

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I shop there if I feel like it.

If I see something which looks over-priced, then I don't buy it.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tesco is our nearest but we noticed it was getting silly expensive....so we are now Aldi converts. Amazing how cheaply you get your weeks shopping done.

The first shop we did, i then did the same shop "virtually" on the on-line basket, and it came to £102 in Tesco - £75 in Aldi. That was it!!! We eat as well as ever....includes quite a few "specially selected" items too.

Only pop into Tesco for the few odd bits Aldi don't do - Mainly Primula/Philadelphia Cheese (more flavours), hubbys Razor Blades and Oral B toothpaste.

Even better now since Aldi have started taking Credit Cards too.

(p.s. The Cambalala Sauvignon Blanc is lovely .....hic)
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I only spend about £50-£60 a year at Tesco. Yet every 10 weeks or so, I get money off vouchers for £4 off £40.

I have never spent that amount in a single transaction!!! Where do they get that Idea from?
  • enjoyyourshoes
    enjoyyourshoes Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Its simple 'Tesco stopped focusing on customers'

they focused on suppliers (discounts and fake offers to customers)

Now they are providing products below cost price (loss makers) in an attempt to entice us back.

You cant run a business on loss leaders because at some time in future you have to increase prices again. Customers will see the duplicitous nature of Tesco again !

They need to focus on customers again in open trusting nature.

They could dramatically improve but they need a paradigm moment !
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think their computers have noticed I shop there for the points. I load up on promotions, on their value tomato puree (which still undercuts asda - must check Lidl etc!) & the Staffs oatcakes which noone else locally stocks. (And yes, we have tried the home cooked ones & they are fun but not the same.)

Other than that? I drop in to get PAYE topups...
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I have found Tesco's price increases so steep, I can no longer afford to shop there online, I want to shop at Aldi as their fresh fruit and veg is nicer than Tesco, but I have disabilities and my Aldi is nowhere near a car park, so I hope they get online at some point!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11484345/Aldi-to-launch-online-store-in-Britain.html

according to this they may do in the future (not saying when that will be but possible)
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 2 June 2015 at 11:23AM
    Options
    I can't comment on prices as I don't go (often), maybe two or three times a year when passing and in need of something - where I used to live they aggressively opened 2 stores within 2 miles of each other and of similar size to compete with the one Asda. It's at those moments you have to question how much they care about customers if they are trying to aggressively take over as many places as possible to try and compete, when really they should be working on a better experience for the people that actually make them money.

The place just feels cold and heartless, full of people who hate their job, some of which I know personally and some of whom still do or worked there for up to 10 years and detest it, but it hasn't done any good for job prospects so they feel stuck there now.

It generally doesn't feel like an inviting place to do your shopping at, and most of the Tesco's I go in have that same feeling. The whole experience feels driven around profit and the customer experience feels like an afterthought.

Edit: Just to demonstrate how stupidly close they have put two "superstores", here is the Google Maps (I've had to move it to the known paths either way as it puts some stupid 6 mile long way round if I put in directions directly from one to the other, not sure why) It's actually 1.4 miles, not 2.
    Professional Data Monkey

• clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't tend to go to Tesco very often. If someone is going that way I may depending how I feel go along for the ride. I find Tesco very expensive and do most of my weekly shop at Aldi and save money so happy days.
  • Cycrow
    Cycrow Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I dont really have much choice, theres only 2 supermarkets within a reasonable distance to me, both are Tesco.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Tesco is the closest supermarket to me (3/4 of a mile) with the next nearest being at least 7 miles away so a no-brainer really.

We can go in the car for a big shop or I can walk up and back with my shopping trolley to pick up a few bits.

I don't love them, I only ever buy stuff when it's half price or BOGOF and keep it in the garage.

I'm not that fussed on their veg and will buy from a local green grocer if possible but Tesco do send me vouchers so yesterday I paid 50p for a cauli (50p voucher) & 55p for a savoy cabbage (25p voucher).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure