Tesco - No longer a customer

Options

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I get a lot of my food from Tesco. I buy mainly yellow stickers, shop late for the bargains. I'm usually lucky and get a trolley full for around £5. I'll stick with Tesco
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Hezzawithkids
    Hezzawithkids Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Options
    patman99 wrote: »
    Stopped using Tesco on principle. They got shot of 1/3rd of their shopfloor staff and replaced them with people on the workfare scheme in my area.

As a result, they have seen a huge drop in trade.

Same for me, they won't see a penny of my money ever again. I've been boycotting them ever since the incident of the blind woman with her assistance dog being kicked out of a Tesco Express. I know it was a one-off but a close relative of mine is blind and relies on his guide dog, and I believe that incident is symptomatic of a corporate malaise that sees nothing but the bottom line and share price and couldn't give a cr*p about its customers. The Michael O'Leary of the grocery world (or is he the Tesco of the airline industry? Discuss). There are other reasons why I won't shop there, mostly stemming from the thankfully short period of time I temped at their Head Office.
    £2 Savers Club 2016 #21 £14/£250
    £2 Savers Club 2015 #8 £250£200 :j

Proud to be an OU graduate :j :j

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another Tesco-bashing thread. I guess because they are the biggest supermarket, they will attract the biggest number of problems.

I shop at Tesco quite often as they have a lot of special offers that are actually cheaper than normal. I don't go in with a shopping list - just an idea of how many days' worth of food I need, so I can grab all the bargains.

I only go to Sainsbury's as I can get a 5% discount when buying their gift cards. They are generally over-priced, but a couple of their own-brand products are better than anything that I can get elsewhere. Their special offers are few and far between, and are often not very special. They never have enough checkouts open.

I pop down to Lidl most weeks to pick up bargains, but their choice of products is limited. What they do have can be really good value.

I don't like the local Aldi - it's cluttered and untidy. Ditto the local Morrisons.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    [QUOTE=Pollycat;68518285

I'm not that fussed on their veg and will buy from a local green grocer if possible but Tesco do send me vouchers so yesterday I paid 50p for a cauli (50p voucher) & 55p for a savoy cabbage (25p voucher).[/QUOTE]

The £50-60 a year is normally spent when I get a book off money off vouchers of products plus picking up a few ys reductions. One time I spent 44p on a huge box of Cheerios as the voucher said £1.20 off any box of any Cheerios. The huge boxes were £1.64 and was worth buying.

I look on their website for prices before I make a journey there.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    The £50-60 a year is normally spent when I get a book off money off vouchers of products plus picking up a few ys reductions. One time I spent 44p on a huge box of Cheerios as the voucher said £1.20 off any box of any Cheerios. The huge boxes were £1.64 and was worth buying.

I look on their website for prices before I make a journey there.

We do use the £6 or £4 off a £40 shop.

I like that the vouchers are tailored to what we buy e.g. family pack of mushrooms, milk etc.
    I bought a plant as a get well gift for a friend and they sent me a voucher for plants/flowers and I bought an orchid which made it half price.
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    It's not the I am boycotting them- I just don't think they are that cheap anymore.

I'll call in for the odd thing though. I don't use their online as they were consistently giving me piles of substitutions. Although Ocado are more expensive, their online shopping and delivery experience is much better than Mr. T.
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm another going against the grain of this thread. 80-90% of my shopping is done at Tesco.

Truth be told, they do the shopping for me - all my orders are placed online at my leisure.

I got the annual delivery saver at half price (£30) so can have deliveries anytime/day I like for a year - probably average 3 a month so still cheaper than the bus which would cost £2.00 per round trip. Never mind the time saved.

If I can't get delivery saver for half price again when its due for renewal, I'll just revert to the £1 delivery slots. Still cheaper and easier than the bus.

I spend less than £130 month on all food, groceries, toiletries, laundry/household products including stuff I get elsewhere.

I have never had a late delivery / unacceptable substitutions - in fact very rarely have substitutions at all / no short dated or poor quality products including fruit and veg. I once had to call customer service and the issue was sorted immediately.

The delivery drivers are always friendly and helpful and I often get the same drivers so much so that one of them even asked if my dog was okay when he didn't do his usual hell-hound routine when they knocked.

No payment issues and unlike Asda, they only reserve £2.00 when you place an order not the full amount.

Sainsburys are expensive, Asda is just awful, no Lidl/Morrisons/Waitrose nearby and our Aldi is very small with limited stock and to be honest - rather grimy.
  • rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Just curios about peoples opinions.

In our area it is the only large supermarket, so I feel free now I've weaned myself off it! (everyone just 'pops to tesco' for EVERYTHING)

Not just a 'tesco-basher' - its such a shame, as it served me well in the past.
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • Potternerd
    Potternerd Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Loads too many supermarkets around. I have Asda' M & s food and Sainsbury's all within half a mile. Used to do Tesco's but I found it too big cold unfriendly. Won't shop at Asda anymore because of poor service over complaints. Sainsbury expensive for some stuff but I get 5% discount card and stock up on offers. Also Sainsbury didn't do horsemeat. M & S food for treats.
  • pendragon_arther
    pendragon_arther Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tesco's non-policy on animal welfare put me off. The quality of food is not good. Much too much choice in large stores. Their bread is not nice and wrong shape for a decent sandwich.

Another thing that irritates me, not just at Tescos, is the constant barrage of charity collectors at the entrance. Don't get me wrong I'm a charitable person, but I often don't carry cash just plastic. I don't want to be harassed like that when I shop.
    “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”
    ― Groucho Marx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport