Tesco - No longer a customer

Options

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My local Tesco home store is closing at the end of the month.
    There are still two supermarkets and a local store in my town.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My nearest supermarket, a tiddler, is 11 miles and the closest full size one is about 14 miles.

Obviously, I didn't position myself here because supermarkets mean a lot to me, but within 20 miles I have all the big names and lots of routes to choose from, so I don't get bored with the scenery.

I go to Sainsburys and Morrisons most and then top up with a few items from Lidl if there's one in striking distance. Tesco hardly ever features; not because of any high moral stance, but because I find their stores/products just don't push any buttons.

If Sainsburys is dearer, as some folks here claim, that's of minor interest compared with other factors.

On the 3 or 4 visits to Tesco I have made in the last year:
    • a multi-pack of socks were mis-sized
    • a sweater was so horrible after the first wash it was only fit for the garden
    • a can of petrol for my brush-cutter was of such bad quality it refused to start for the first time in 6 years, yet fired up fine when other fuel was substituted.
    A pretty bad batting average of experiences!
  • Broadwood
    Broadwood Posts: 706 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We do the rounds of all our local stores - Aldi Lidl Sainsbury Morrisons Tesco Iceland. Non are perfect - we prefer some items from certain stores.

My biggest gripe is being bamboozled with BOGOFs and multi-buy discounts. Even Aldi and Lidl have started doing it. Wish they would go back to transparent simple pricing. Shoppers shouldn't have to constantly check the small print and price per g or kg or litre to check they aren't being ripped off. I've lost count of the instances where bigger sizes have worked out dearer even when the pack is labelled BIGGER BETTER VALUE.

You really do need to be good at mental maths or carry a calculator to avoid being fleeced. BUYER BEWARE!
    Never trust a financial institution.

Still studying at the University of Life.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not in the habit of boycotting shops as life is too short, I tend to use a combination of The Farm shop, Aldi and M&S/Ocado.

I haven't been to Morrison's, tesco's or sainsburys for ages in though there are large stores not far away. Tell a lie I did attend a interview at one of their HQs a few months back, perhaps my answer to the question of which supermarket did I use wasn't the correct one.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The one that sends me the best conditional spend voucher gets my attention at the moment. Finished the £8.00 off £40.00 shop at Sainsbury, the £4.00 off £40.00& £3.00 off £30.00 at Morrisons, last one was £2.50 off £25.00 at Farmfoods - opposite was an Aldi - had a wander round nothing caught my eye - apart from a load of misc. household stuff, walked out again! But apart from that, I have no problem with Tesco - us the nearby Express and Extra.

I like a large superstore - yes, it can be a pain walking around, but if I want a couple of quiches I want a choice, not just one from a small store. I usually check anyway the price per 100gram/100ml - though when I was in Aldi noticed that wasn't so easy to do!

And, M & S or Waitrose - no chance - can't afford their 'yellow' ticket items!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,920 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I use Tesco (good fuel save scheme), Sainsbury's, Waitrose and M&S, as all are better in different ways. We fill up the tank once a month, and save £20, so worth doing for us.

Cannot stand Asda or Morrisons though.

Have never been into an Aldi or Lidl, so don't really know what they are like.

Lin :)
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • MenInBlack
    MenInBlack Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I used to shop there a lot during Uni and College days. I have stopped ever since they started closing stores down. I definitely think Morrisons and Asda are the best options for me.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2015 at 7:24AM
    Options
    I'll use Tesco whenever they send me the £6/£4 off £40 or whenever they send me online vouchers above 10% (the most recent was £7.50 off £75 which is derisory considering their decent delivery slots are always £3/£4).
    Asda is definitely the cheapest for me, although the clientele leave a lot to be desired (mostly ethnics who don't speak English and ugg-boot wearing doleys).
    Waitrose is great, although their range can be limited - quite why their buyers think we need three different brands of macaron, but only one type of peppered ham is beyond me...
    Sainsburys, again, depends on their vouchers - I've just gone through a cycle of £12/9 off £60 - 20%-15% off mitigates their higher prices somewhat, but I don't shop there otherwise. They are far too expensive and they don't rotate stock properly, so you have to check everything you buy date-wise.
    Dont shop at aldi/lidl as they're simply not that good. The fruit and veg are +1 day majors returns, and the rest of their own brands, by and large, just aren't as good. Their much vaunted "continental" meats and cheeses aren't all they're cracked up to be either.
    As for Morrison's - expensive, and dated. Their meat tends to be decent although I've never understood why they insist on halving the pork fillets lengthwise, just means you can't make medallions and I buy elsewhere...
  • Azari
    Azari Posts: 4,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    geerex wrote: »
    I'll use Tesco whenever they send me the £6/£4 off £40 or whenever they send me online vouchers above 10% (the most recent was £7.50 off £75 which is derisory considering their decent delivery slots are always £3/£4).

Our Tesco does very convenient delivery slots for £1. (Assuming you plan ahead.)

And they are forever giving me £6 off £40 vouchers.

Plus they have friendly staff, a nice, big, clean, store with masses of choice.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • geerex
    geerex Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    Our Tesco does very convenient delivery slots for £1. (Assuming you plan ahead.)

And they are forever giving me £6 off £40 vouchers.

Plus they have friendly staff, a nice, big, clean, store with masses of choice.

Its not even about planning ahead.... Unless i take the day off, midweek daytime slots are no good, nor are mid/late evening due to various other commitments. So, I'm left with weekend slots which are invariably more expensive. Supply/demand, fair enough, but if they REALLY wanted my custom they could mitigate it with a free delivery or some such.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure