Children addressing adults

Options

Comments

• bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've never been called mate by a child either, and I meet a fair few of them.

They either call me Mrs Byl or by my first name.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • toadhall
    toadhall Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've never been called mate by a child, maybe it's a regional thing? I have taught my children to call adults Mr or Mrs unless invited to call them by the first name. I do the same myself and always ask permission for a first name rather than presume.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    You're getting old, mate!
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I refuse to acknowledge a child until it is looking at the floor and tugging its forelock.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    toadhall wrote: »
    I've never been called mate by a child, maybe it's a regional thing? I have taught my children to call adults Mr or Mrs unless invited to call them by the first name. I do the same myself and always ask permission for a first name rather than presume.

I wish other people did this - I hate being addressed by my first name, unless I've given it or someone has asked, particularly by children.
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    My LO goes to church with the school each week and when they cross the road they are expected the thank the crossing attendant. She said a lot of the boys started saying 'cheers, mate,' to him.
    The teacher then gave them a quick chat about he is Mr. W......... and they are to call him that, not mate.
    It would have never occurred to my LO to call him mate, but I expect once one of the boys started doing it, the other boys started too.
  • Jagraf
    Jagraf Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am in my forties, and still call my mum and dads closest friends 'auntie' and 'uncle'. This is now almost obsolete but hasn't been replaced with anything respectful, as I still find when my daughter calls my friends by their first name its not quite respectful enough - there almost needs to be a word we use between first name and Mrs, I think the Indian culture has one as my sis in law calls lots of her parents friends by their name with another word after it - can't remember what it is now.

I was called sweetheart by a 16 year old boy serving me the other day. So I called him a little sausage which he didn't appreciate at all.
    Never again will the wolf get so close to my door :eek:
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Options
    Come to Bristle, where 'my lover' (in broad Bristolian) is still deemed an appropriate form of address between adults! :rotfl:

And 'cheers, Drive' is the thing to say when you get off the bus.

I haven't heard any children using 'mate' but then I don't have much contact with them these days.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Options
    I don't mind whether people say mate or love or pet or anything else.

If the person isn't intending to insult me, I won't take offence.
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Jagraf wrote: »
    I think the Indian culture has one as my sis in law calls lots of her parents friends by their name with another word after it - can't remember what it is now.

I get called Bylro Aunty by my Indian side. I hate it. I met one relative for the first time a couple of years ago. She is 2 years younger than me and immediately began calling me Bylro aunty. She picked up on my inward cringing, so explained to me that as I am of the family generation above her, she was showing me respect and expected by her mother, my cousin, to call me aunty, so she did.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport