AutoAid Car Breakdown Discussion

Options

Comments

• veryintrigued
    Options
    AutoAid offer personal cover and you can include your 'spouse' in this.

However, this only applies if you are legall married, or have had a civil partnership formally registered.

If, like me, you live with your partner as if married, but have never bthered to get a wedding certificate, they won't provide your 'spouse' with the cover. I have asked them to explain this,a s it seems wholly unreasonable to me.:(

You're not married hence not covered.

Pretty simple.
  • Dird
    Dird Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If, like me, you live with your partner as if married, but have never bthered to get a wedding certificate, they won't provide your 'spouse' with the cover. I have asked them to explain this,a s it seems wholly unreasonable to me.:(
    It's perfectly reasonable. Imagine a student house sharing with 7 people...."that's not my roommate it's my boyfriend....that's not my roommate it's my girlfriend; yeah I'm bi...that's my new boyfriend". Open to abuse
    Mortgage (Nov 15): £79,950 | Cashback sites: £900 | Current accounts: 11
    Mortgage (May 19): £71,754 | £30k in 2016: £30,300 (101%)
  • Robin_Davies
    Options
    Been signed up for almost 3 years now - 2 cars, 2 drivers. Used it once when wife's car became undriveable a few miles away. Autoaid contractor got there before I did. Car moved on transporter to my regular garage about eight miles away so I could get the cheapest repair. Not asked to pay anything. Unbeatable service at an unbeatable price. Thanks Martin!
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    Auto Aid seems to have been given the "big up" once more in the latest MSE email.

Presumably some financials involved behind the scenes?
  • RL11
    RL11 Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Their own policy document on their website still says "This is a “pay and claim” motor vehicle breakdown and recovery insurance". I cannot find anything that says you don't have to pay first, so can't go for this based on anecdotal evidence where no-one seems to have paid recently. Can MSE please explain why they think it's changed?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Auto Aid seems to have been given the "big up" once more in the latest MSE email.

Presumably some financials involved behind the scenes?
    You don't need to presume

When MSE has a deal with a company they tell you by putting a "*" next to the link.

All up front and transparent.

It's good news as they make money via the affiliate link which goes towards paying for the MSE website (and the forum too)
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    It's good news as they make money via the affiliate link which goes towards paying for the MSE website (and the forum too)

I generally agree...

... except that affiliate links etc do far more than go towards paying for the website and forum.

Remember back in 2012:
    Martin Lewis sells MoneySavingExpert for £87m

...According to Google Analytics, it attracted around 39 million unique visitors and 277m page impressions in the year ending 31 October 2011. It reported revenues of £15.7m for the same period.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jun/01/martin-lewis-sells-moneysavingexpert

I suspect the cost of running the website and forum was a very small percentage of £15.7m.

But even so, I don't think the site is influenced or biased towards businesses that offer the best affiliate rates.
  • OnanTheBarbarian
    Options
    Didn't you know? Quentin runs MSE for free ��
  • rolinger
    Options
    Have been a member for a few years, finally had cause to use them in August for my motorbike. Having had experience of AA and assuming it would be a 'cheap and cheerful' alternative I was pleasantly surprised.

The call centre was extremely professional and helpful, communicated well with me (a couple of calls back when timings changed and to agree a later time for recovery so I could get to a meeting) and the breakdown service (unlike AA who were like a game of 'chinese whispers', they arrived at the right time at the right place). It was the same local recovery service as the AA used, so overall much better service at a fraction of the price.

The only snag in the whole situation was that the garage they took it to was awful. However, it was my local dealer which is where I'd asked for :mad: , so I definitely can't blame them for that problem!!!
  • Uneveneeyore
    Options
    I have been with Autoaid for over 4 years based on Money Saving Expert's advice and have use them twice before when they were very good.
    HOWEVER on Friday 25th November my husband was travelling to go away for the weekend and unfortunately broke down near the woodall services (110 miles into his journey). Having realsied that the car was undrivable and knowing the autoaid policy on recovery to one destination he called Autoaid at 20:45 and requested relay back to Milton Keynes. He was told that a recovery truck would be sent within 90 minutes which it did and the car was duly loaded on to the truck. However on asking where he would be taken to he was told Tibshelf which is only 20 miles down the road. Autoaid then rang to say that even Tibshelf was outside of the district of the company dispatched and so he was off loaded and left for a further 90 minutes. A second truck finally arrived and set off at 00:36 to Leicester arriving at 01:33 where another company were due to collect him for relay home at 01:00. However he was called again to say that although they had confirmed 02:00 they wouldn't be able to get there until 4:00 so this booking was cancelled and another made which should have arrived in another 6o minutes. This one arrived at 4:00 but on the wrong side of the motorway. Having finally made it to the correct side of the services he was loaded up and the driver then proceeded in the wrong direction. After sorting this out he finally arrived home to Milton Keynes at 06:30.

So that is almost 10 hours to move a car 100 miles on a motorway!.:mad:

Needless to say we will not be renewing with Autoaid next year
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport