New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travel credit cards

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Flights, Currency & Car Hire
382 replies 133.9K views

Replies

• eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.4K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Francis65 wrote: »
    I went to a cash point and it told me that the rate would be 1.21,
    When the ATM shows you a rate, it is trying to catch you out with DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) to make extra money for its operator, and plenty of people fall for it.

At that point it is also giving you two options; to accept that rate by selecting "Conversion", or reject it by selecting "Without Conversion", in which case it will take euros or whatever is the local currency and your card provider does the conversion. In the case of the Creation Everyday card that will be at the MasterCard rate.

Unfortunately it sounds like Creation CS are completely devoid of knowledge and training, to be so clueless - at least you knew that there was something wrong with the rates. . .
    Evolution, not revolution
  • eDicky wrote: »
    When the ATM shows you a rate, it is trying to catch you out with DCC (Dynamic Currency Conversion) to make extra money for its operator, and plenty of people fall for it.

At that point it is also giving you two options; to accept that rate by selecting "Conversion", or reject it by selecting "Without Conversion", in which case it will take euros or whatever is the local currency and your card provider does the conversion. In the case of the Creation Everyday card that will be at the MasterCard rate.

Unfortunately it sounds like Creation CS are completely devoid of knowledge and training, to be so clueless - at least you knew that there was something wrong with the rates. . .

To be fair, we don't know how the Creation call centre tried to explain that it was that it was not they who levied the charge.
    Perhaps the customer simply did not understand the explanation. DCC is clearly explained on the website.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, we don't know how the Creation call centre tried to explain that it was that it was not they who levied the charge.
    Perhaps the customer simply did not understand the explanation. DCC is clearly explained on the website.
    Anyone with an understanding of the DCC problem would be able to immediately recognise it and give an explanation. It's true that we only have Francis' account of the conversation with the call centre, but it indicates the agent's lack of such understanding.

I have recently encountered some astonishing ignorance of CS staff about the product they are dealing with, including a UK based EE agent who tried to insist that there's a charge for incoming SMS when roaming. At least he learned something that day!
  • roscoecatroscoecat Forumite
    5 posts
    Hi, I'm using my Creation Everyday credit card abroad right now and have just checked my transactions.

Despite the card claiming not to have any charges for use abroad (see their website FAQ), I'm being charged something called "foreign fee savings" for each of my transactions which amounts to the 2.99% foreign conversion charges.

I'm feeling really cheated now, as I took out this credit card expressly for use abroad. I've contacted them via their secure message, and will update this thread once I get a reply.
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    roscoecat wrote: »
    Despite the card claiming not to have any charges for use abroad (see their website FAQ), I'm being charged something called "foreign fee savings" for each of my transactions which amounts to the 2.99% foreign conversion charges.
    Are you sure it's actually a charge and added to your balance, or are they just pointing out what you save on each transaction compared to other cards?
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • amfieldamfield Forumite
    1 posts
    Hi, I've just returned from a trip to the US and checked my Creation statements; they are the most confusing ever!
    Top section has 'Foreign Fee Savings' as negative numbers, but no total of savings.
    Bottom section has transactions listed with poor rates (not MasterCard rates) and 'inc conversion fee of 2.99%') against each transaction - so it looks like you are being charged 2.99%.
    The total at the end of the statement is the total AFTER refunds are applied (this is not clear as the total before adjustments is not shown) - so the 'foreign fee' is the same thing as the 'conversion fee' and they cancel out.
    This took me 1/2 hr and manual checking in Excel to check I hadn't been swindled by false advertising!
    Feedback to Creation - the product is fine, need to work on making statements clearer; just using the MC rate and not adding/subtracting a fee would be much clearer!
  • zagfleszagfles Forumite
    16.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amfield wrote: »
    Hi, I've just returned from a trip to the US and checked my Creation statements; they are the most confusing ever!
    Top section has 'Foreign Fee Savings' as negative numbers, but no total of savings.
    Bottom section has transactions listed with poor rates (not MasterCard rates) and 'inc conversion fee of 2.99%') against each transaction - so it looks like you are being charged 2.99%.
    The total at the end of the statement is the total AFTER refunds are applied (this is not clear as the total before adjustments is not shown) - so the 'foreign fee' is the same thing as the 'conversion fee' and they cancel out.
    This took me 1/2 hr and manual checking in Excel to check I hadn't been swindled by false advertising!
    Feedback to Creation - the product is fine, need to work on making statements clearer; just using the MC rate and not adding/subtracting a fee would be much clearer!
    This would imply that they charge then refund the charge, which seems completely pointless unless the refund is just a temporary thing which they might remove at some stage in the future?
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    zagfles wrote: »
    This would imply that they charge then refund the charge, which seems completely pointless unless the refund is just a temporary thing which they might remove at some stage in the future?

My Lloyds card used to do that (though helpfully the "refund" appeared in-line with the actual transaction). It will just be a limitation that their system can't discriminate between different card conditions when applying the 2.99% fee. Lloyds eventually fixed it but as you aren't actually out of pocket, I don't know if Creation would ever bother changing it.
  • Jenko-dogJenko-dog Forumite
    2 posts
    Hi all, not sure if it's me, but I find this website incredibly difficult to navigate. I wanted to share my experience of using the post office travel card on a new thread, but can't find how to do that, so I'll post it here and hope that it gets read.
    The PO claim that their card is widely accepted, but beware! If, like me, you purchased it for travel in Europe, especially France, it doesn't work on automated petrol stations. In Europe, these pay at pump type stations are more popular than staffed kiosks (it's the future, we won't need humans). Not only will the card be declined, but you are stood in an embarrassing queue, and then you have to resort to your usual credit card, which rips you off. Apparently this piece of info is in the T&C, buried deep in the hundreds of pages of waffle.
    So when you come back to UK, you have a large amount of euros still on the PO card, which they then tell you is buyable back at an extortionate rate, 1.45 at today's rate! It also takes 15 working days to get your money back, as they have to email, text or write to your home address with a code, which then has to be taken in person to a post office to exchange back. It CANNOT be done online.
    Also, each time your card is declined, it holds back an amount of euros, usually over 100, until the cancelled or declined transaction is verified.
    In future I'll just use my 1st Direct credit card, and take the hit.
    What a PO fiasco. No wonder they're going under.
  • YolinaYolina Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You when you say the PO card, I take it you mean a pre-pay one rather than credit card since you mention having euros on the card? If so, I think that very few, if any, prepay cards work for pay at pump.
    Now free from the incompetence of vodafail