MSE News: The new king of spending abroad -the free Travelex Supercard launches today

Comments

• Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Futuristic wrote: »
    Blackberry users aren't worth the trouble these days
    No, but a large number of Android apps are available to BB users via the Amazon App Store. But this isn't one of them.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    r2015 wrote: »
    What about people who don't have a tablet or smartphone?

Can I use someone else's smartphone to sign up or do I actually need the smartphone when I use the card?

You need the app to run the card
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just idle curiosity, but Microsoft Store doesn't have a Supercard app either. Doesn't Nokia phones run Microsoft Phone OS? :D
  • randers
    randers Posts: 14
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lot of threads about his card now.

I've been accepted, but have a concern that'll stop me registering it against any credit/debit card unless it's resolved - what information on credit/debit cards to I have to give Travelex to allow them to charge against it? (I'll find out when the card comes and I look at registering it). Because banks are meant to give you protection against fraud and certain other losses, but only if you keep your security details secure. If they can argue that you've given out some of those details to a third party can they refuse to accept responsibility for fraud or losses?
  • andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    So i have been accepted but this has been a real dogs dinner of a launch. Sounds like a pathetic experience for tons of potential users. Just nowhere near good enough. Yet i am supposed to happily trust them with my financial information?

Even if i get the damned card i will not be using it until it has been well road tested by others. i'll stick with my clarity until then.
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • skye
    skye Posts: 286 Forumite
    I don't think I was successful - by the time the app worked didn't get a successful reply. I need a credit card for overseas spending but Halifax Clarity have rejected me as I have outstanding debt on a Lloyds card. is there another I could apply for - don't want to get stung on charges. Tahnks!
  • Just noticed in the t&cs that the card cannot be used for car hire, petrol or to pay a hotel bill. That is quite restrictive for expensive items while away.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    DaveP wrote: »
    Just noticed in the t&cs that the card cannot be used for car hire, petrol or to pay a hotel bill.
    That's probably because it's treated as a DEBIT card and similar restrictions apply to debit cards. (Credit cards allow the merchant to apply additional charges where necessary (forgotten items, etc.)
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    randers wrote: »
    I've been accepted, but have a concern that'll stop me registering it against any credit/debit card unless it's resolved - what information on credit/debit cards to I have to give Travelex to allow them to charge against it? (I'll find out when the card comes and I look at registering it). Because banks are meant to give you protection against fraud and certain other losses, but only if you keep your security details secure. If they can argue that you've given out some of those details to a third party can they refuse to accept responsibility for fraud or losses?

I can't imagine they will require any information additional to that required when you make an online purchase? I don't think this would compromise any of the details the bank require you to keep secure (i.e. PIN, online log ins).

There may be some issue I suppose where you provide the 3 digit security code from the back of the card...
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    DaveP wrote: »
    Just noticed in the t&cs that the card cannot be used for car hire, petrol or to pay a hotel bill. That is quite restrictive for expensive items while away.

Really?

The bit I've read explicitly says these are allowed:
    The Supercard may not be used for preauthorised regular payments, for gambling, or for any illegal purposes. The Supercard may be used for the purpose of car hire or to pay for hotel accommodation. You should be aware that the merchant may estimate Your bill, and if You use Your Supercard as a guarantee for the estimated amount, the funds will be reserved on Your linked card and will be temporarily unavailable to access or spend. It could take up to 15 days for the reserved funds to be made available which could restrict further spending on Your linked card.

Emphasis is my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport