Holiday Withdrawal Symptoms......Tell me where you're going?

Options

Comments

• PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 October 2015 at 8:44AM
    Options
    Going round at that rate of knots is really only putting ticks in boxes.
    As against visiting 3 countries in 18 days, all you really did was visit 4 destinations within 3 countries.

Bit like saying I've visited Thailand, but only stayed in Bangkok.

I've just had 4 weeks in Vietnam, 3 internal flights, and 5 destinations. But I only visited [much] less than half of the country. One or two nights in some of those destinations wouldn't even of skimmed the surface, and even in the towns I visited I had to shorten my wish-list due to bad weather.

Each destination had it's own identity, and I know that when we invest in a few weeks in the north of Vietnam it'll be totally different.

You need to set up shop for a few days, get under the surface, meander off the beaten tourist tracks a little bit, mix with the locals, use some local transport, and even get lost for a few hours [I have no problem getting lost!].
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My holiday is all but planned now. I leave in 23 days and visit Singapore/Malaysia, New Zealand, Australia & Hong Kong before I get back to Blighty just in time for Christmas. I've never been on such a long trip before and I'm really looking forward to it.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • MasterPoo
    MasterPoo Posts: 787 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    My holiday is all but planned now. I leave in 23 days and visit Singapore/Malaysia, New Zealand, Australia & Hong Kong before I get back to Blighty just in time for Christmas. I've never been on such a long trip before and I'm really looking forward to it.

Lucky you! Sounds FAB. Care to share more of your itinerary?

This week I booked a 4 night holiday in March to Marrakech, just me and my bestie! Can't wait. BA had a Business class sale, so took advantage, flights were £150 return pp.

I'm trying to get another friend to do a short 3 or 4 night trip next October, might go back to NYC, but I'd like to maybe go to Barcelona!?!?
  • Ballard
    Options
    I fly to Singapore on 9th November for a couple of days before flying on to Auckland on 12th. A couple of days there before flying to Wellington on 15th. I then get a variety of buses back to Auckland with nights in Napier, Taupo & Rotorua on the way.

I then fly to Sydney on 25th where I'll have my final couple of days on my own before a friend arrives on 27th. We plan to get a train into The Blue Mountains for a couple of days. Another flight to Hobart on 30th, a week or so in Tasmania before flying from Launceston to Melbourne on 9th December where we will meet up with another friend who will have flown in a few days earlier.
    The final internal flight takes us back to Sydney for a few days on 13th December. Sydney to Hong Kong on 16th and the final flight from there back to London on 18th.

The plan for Tasmania isn't anything more than ideas at the moment and it's not going to be easy to sort out because neither of us drive and public transport is somewhat limited on the island. We will work it out though.

My one regret is that I should have flown into Auckland and out of Wellington which would have saved me an internal flight.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • kdogg_05
    Options
    The Hong Kong skyline really is a sight to behold. . . but don't expect too much of the light show!

We're on a year long jaunt, as I'm working on a new online business. We did a lot of asia, but we're not house sitting in Australia. Great way to save money, feel at home, and have a cute little dog to look after! :-)
  • Ballard
    Options
    I spent a few days in Hong Kong about 4/5 years ago and am looking forward to revisiting the place. One of my friends went when it was British so it will have changed an awful lot since he was last there. The other hasn't been there yet so he's in for a treat.

I actually quite enjoyed the light show.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MasterPoo wrote: »
    When do you leave?

Nope, we will be doing all those in one holiday, thats just how we roll! :eek::cool: We did 6 flights, 3 Countries, 4 destinations in 18 days over Easter, so 4 weeks 3 countries is totally doable me thinks?!?!?!

Happy Holidays Lisa!

You will miss so much of each country except their airports :cool:

Each country merits 4 weeks minimum.
  • MasterPoo
    Options
    Ballard wrote: »
    I fly to Singapore on 9th November for a couple of days before flying on to Auckland on 12th. A couple of days there before flying to Wellington on 15th. I then get a variety of buses back to Auckland with nights in Napier, Taupo & Rotorua on the way.

I then fly to Sydney on 25th where I'll have my final couple of days on my own before a friend arrives on 27th. We plan to get a train into The Blue Mountains for a couple of days. Another flight to Hobart on 30th, a week or so in Tasmania before flying from Launceston to Melbourne on 9th December where we will meet up with another friend who will have flown in a few days earlier.
    The final internal flight takes us back to Sydney for a few days on 13th December. Sydney to Hong Kong on 16th and the final flight from there back to London on 18th.

The plan for Tasmania isn't anything more than ideas at the moment and it's not going to be easy to sort out because neither of us drive and public transport is somewhat limited on the island. We will work it out though.

My one regret is that I should have flown into Auckland and out of Wellington which would have saved me an internal flight.

Ballard what an adventure. Not long to go now, all sorted, ready to pack? Passport triple checked?
    kdogg_05 wrote: »
    The Hong Kong skyline really is a sight to behold. . . but don't expect too much of the light show!

We're on a year long jaunt, as I'm working on a new online business. We did a lot of asia, but we're not house sitting in Australia. Great way to save money, feel at home, and have a cute little dog to look after! :-)

A year long jaunt....can I come? :T That sounds like MY type of holiday. House sitting for how long? Where in Oz?
  • MasterPoo
    Options
    Blindman and Pete, eeerrrrmmmm OK, point taken, but be mindful that, those are just YOUR opinions and your preferred way to travel and explore. There is no rule book to follow! Rolling my eyes at the both of you.
  • Grumpyoldmoo
    Options
    I'm off to Sth Africa on October 31st, flying into Jo'burg then a connecting flight to Port Elizabeth. From there I will be met & taken into the Karoo to volunteer on a cheetah conservation project for 2 weeks ��
    Feb'15 £118411.00 Jan '16 £112665.10 Jan 17 £106790.00, Jan 18 £99268.10 April ‘19 £57052.26, Oct ‘20 £46015.42 £2.00 Savers Club, 🎖, 2015 £332, 2016 £356, 2017 £312, 2018 £254, 2019 £668, 2020 £880.00, 2021 £104, 2022 £158, 2023 £68, 2024 Emergency Fund £2500/£1000 :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure