MSE News: Barclays launches reward scheme for current account users, but other banks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    dmaidmen wrote: »
    I managed to sign up on Android using version 1.20 of the App. I now have a "Barclays Blue Rewards" account listed as well as my current accounts and mortgage.
    Are you saying that a new account was created as a result? Is this not supposed to be an 'add-on' for an existing account?
  • If it saves anyone some time, you can set up a recurring PayPal payment for 1p a month by direct debit from this page:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick-subscriptions&business=YOUR%40FRIENDS%2eEMAIL&lc=GB&item_name=Pay%20Bill%201p&no_note=1&src=1&a3=0%2e01&p3=1&t3=M&currency_code=GBP&bn=PP%2dSubscriptionsBF%3abtn_subscribeCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHostedGuest

replacing YOUR, FRIENDS, and EMAIL with the first, second, and third bits of a friend's email address that has PayPal. (The address above would send the payment to [EMAIL="your@friends.email)"]your@friends.email)[/EMAIL]

Hi is it possible to tell me how to get to this page without going through your link please?

thanks

sparkie
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    grumbler wrote: »
    Are you saying that a new account was created as a result? Is this not supposed to be an 'add-on' for an existing account?

The "Rewards Wallet" that the reward payments are paid into appears as a new entry on the accounts list with a balance against it, although it's not a proper account with account number and sort code.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • numbers123 wrote: »
    Has your mobile app been updated in the last few days? The new feature can only be seen when the latest update has been applied. On the 'home' screen, under Account Management the fourth option is 'Blue Rewards'. You click that and then follow the instructions.

Okay just updated the IPad app and still don't see this option. I see Manage Accounts, and there is no Blue Reward option after that. Or anywhere else. Will try installing an android app on another tablet but a bit miffed as all my wife's other accounts are on the Ipad.

At the mo she does not pay in the amounts necessary, but will it only show the option if you already qualify? That doesn't make sense
    “Operator! Give me the number for 999!"
    :cool2::question:
  • Dizzee_Rebel
    Dizzee_Rebel Posts: 77 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2015 at 10:11PM
    That sounds like standing orders though. Not sure you can set up one of your own accounts to pull money from another of your own accounts (which would be a direct debit). You can only tell one of your own accounts to send money to another one - and that's a standing order. This offer needs direct debits.

Will get this set up for my wife as she still keeps her main account with Barclays coz she wants to be able to go into a branch. Will then put this in the loop of £1000 that cycles around the other seven accounts to get the best interest. Then job done.

No... its not a Standing Order. Take my Halifax Reward Account for example... I manually instruct Paypal to pull £1 via DIRECT DEBIT each month. I've set Tesco to automatically pull £1 via DIRECT DEBIT to my Internet Saver each month. After I've satisfied the minimum pay in each month, I leave £2 in there to cover the 2 DD's.

Santander get all my utility Direct Debits.

"You can only tell one of your own accounts to send money to another one - and that's a standing order. This offer needs direct debits."...???

I'm surprised that having "the other seven accounts" you haven't clicked onto this method...
  • banjobob59
    banjobob59 Posts: 27 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 24 April 2015 at 8:40PM
    No... its not a Standing Order. Take my Halifax Reward Account for example... I manually instruct Paypal to pull £1 via DIRECT DEBIT each month. I've set Tesco to automatically pull £1 via DIRECT DEBIT to my Internet Saver each month. After I've satisfied the minimum pay in each month, I leave £2 in there to cover the 2 DD's.

Santander get all my utility Direct Debits.

"You can only tell one of your own accounts to send money to another one - and that's a standing order. This offer needs direct debits."...???

I'm surprised that having "the other seven accounts" you haven't clicked onto this method...

This is exactly what I do. However I need a new direct debit source. Can I have two direct debits from my Tesco Savings Account going to different banks. I have one request going to Lloyds Club so can I make a second request for £1 to Barclays.
  • Seems like you won't get the £5 if you already have a mortgage with them.
    The MSE piece contradicts what Barclays say.

MSE...
    Barclays current account and mortgage customers: Existing and new mortgage customers will receive £12/month (£9/month after the £3 fee is taken) cash reward for the term of the mortgage.

On Barclays login today...
    £5 every month if you take out a mortgage or remortgage with us.

You can get the Mortgage Loyalty Reward on any new residential mortgage or residential re-mortgage you take out after you've joined Barclays Blue Rewards

So it seems pretty clear that existing mortgage holders are exempt.
    So after tax on £7 it is only worth £2.60 net for those with a qualifying current account and existing mortgage.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,201 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    banjobob59 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I do. However I need a new direct debit source. Can I have two direct debits from my Tesco Savings Account going to different banks. I have one request going to Lloyds Club so can I make a second request for £1 to Barclays.

Yes you can. In fact some posters have many more than 2 :p

If you need additional DDs, just set up another Tesco savings account - there are 2 different accounts ;)
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JesseJames wrote: »

You can get the Mortgage Loyalty Reward on any new residential mortgage or residential re-mortgage you take out after you've joined Barclays Blue Rewards

So it seems pretty clear that existing mortgage holders are exempt.
    So after tax on £7 it is only worth £2.60 net for those with a qualifying current account and existing mortgage.

It's just clumsy wording, or some general marketing message. If they meet the qualifiers, existing mortgage holders do get the reward, according to http://www.barclays.co.uk/PersonalBanking/P1242689982305
    You’ll get the Mortgage Loyalty Reward if you hold or take out a residential mortgage with us
  • Archi_Bald wrote: »
    It's just clumsy wording, or some general marketing message. If they meet the qualifiers, existing mortgage holders do get the reward, according to http://www.barclays.co.uk/PersonalBanking/P1242689982305

I see what you mean, Barclays are contradicting themselves. Both statements are pretty clear in what they are saying. One is you do qualify, and one you don't.
    They need to be careful in what they are saying as these statements are addressed to many millions.
    Very clumsy to say the least.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport