Options

Comments

• Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    crank_girl wrote: »
    Bump!

Just checked out tesco today and the prices are scandalous.

Where are peeps getting cheap oil these days?

they're not :rotfl:

MTC
  • AdrianHi
    AdrianHi Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    Options
    I thought veg.oil, rain forest destroying palm oil etc. had to be processed to make it "biodiesel" and that you are allowed to process 2500L a year for private use without tax issues.
  • crank_girl
    crank_girl Posts: 274 Forumite
    Options
    No, veg oil doesn't need processing if it is clean. If it has been used you need to filter and remove any moisture/animal fats.

Apparently Morrisons are selling 3L for £2.97.

I bought 20L at Aldi @ 95p/L.

Netto were selling veg oil at 67p/L over the weekend but its probably all been snapped up.
  • chopperharris
    chopperharris Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    crank_girl wrote: »
    No, veg oil doesn't need processing if it is clean. If it has been used you need to filter and remove any moisture/animal fats.

yes and no

yes - veg oil (purest form ie unused in cooking) or sometimes called straight veg oil (svo) can be used in certain engines but not all....older the engine seems to be able ie not modern , check out the databases on dedicated bio diesel and svo forums.

no - newer car engines (hdi common rail and especially lucas pumps it seems )need to have it processed , ie transesterfication , basically its refined taking out glycerides which are bad for engines.Even then some need a in line heater to kepp it viscous enough.

old used oil , ie fast food , should still be filtered and depending on the yes no above could then be used subject to yes above.

sorry for reserecting old thread but the points needed more clarification.

a quick youtube , a back issue of popular mechanics and plenty of hours googleing should be done rather than just putting oil directly into fuel tank.
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey, it's legal now providing you use less than 2,500litres per year...

I checked HMRC website today and found that the duty rate on cooking oil is the same as normal diesel, if it has not been converted to biodiesel. So it seems that HMRC are not aware of the above statement. Many people have tried to get a direct answer to "Can I tip cooking oil in my tank"? The answer always refers to Biodiesel (which cooking oil is not) If someone can show me proof that "It's Legal now" I would be very grateful. I have a diesel car and would love to use cooking oil.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • bryanb
    bryanb Posts: 4,994 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianHi wrote: »
    I thought veg.oil, rain forest destroying palm oil etc. had to be processed to make it "biodiesel" and that you are allowed to process 2500L a year for private use without tax issues.

This agrees with HMRC website. But I also believe that as biodiesel has a spec you must be able to show that it meets the spec. ie have it analysed.
    This is an open forum, anyone can post and I just did !
  • bartman
    bartman Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've done a search, and as far as I can see nobody has posted the offer on at Tesco at the moment - 10 litre container of KTC vegetable oil for £7.99. I've got a dozen in, just thinking about another visit.................:p

This might not be available at smaller branches, mine's a Tesco Extra.
  • Igol
    Igol Posts: 434 Forumite
    Options
    In my Tesco extra as well, I pay 17.99 for 20l at bookers so pretty good value.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That Tesco offer seems to run until 16th September, down from £11.90
  • chris73
    Options
    Has anyone tried running veg oil and diesel in a Citroen/Peugeot 2.0Hdi engine

Don't even think about doing this!!. Common rail engines, such as HDI, CDTI, CDI, TDCI, etc will NOT run on veg oil, purely because the injectors work at finer tolerences and the thicker oil consistancy will quickly clog them up causing running problems, and potential injector pump issues and both of these can cost well over £1000 - £2000 to fix. The myriad of fuel and pressure sensors linked to the engine ecu will usually pick up issues with the fuel quality and you'll grind to a halt with the engine management / emissions light on, and have to pay £££'s for a fault diagnosis and reset. Many garages are not sympathetic to veg oil use either. In short, in a newr car, its simply not worth the risk or the meagre savings.

Even DI or DTI engines are not entirely suitable for veg oil use without investing in a twin tank system either (although older pre 2004 VW Tdi's are more tolerant but its still a risk). This is because the spray pattern of direct injection injectors causes the cold veg oil to risk not combusting completely and will result in the veg oil partly burning and then setting like burnt sugar eventually leading to 'ring gumming' of the piston rings and engine failure. (Google "ring gumming" for more info)

If you have a Common rail or DI engine then the only options available to you are either to continue using diesel or to consider buying a biodiesel processor or finding a biodiesel supplier. Properly made biodiesel will run in almost ANY diesel car made upto around 2005 / 2006 with no problem and little risk. However veg oil use, will only work in older models.

If you do want to burn veg oil directly out of the bottle then you will need an older IDI (indirect injection) vehicle and it MUST use a BOSCH fuel injection pump. Lucas / CAV pumps are not suitable. Examples of such vehicles are some Citroen Xantias, BMW 525TDS (pre 1999), Pug 306 / 406 (not HDI), Rangerover 2.5DSE, Daewoo Musso 2.9TD, Nissan Serana, Nissan Primera (pre 2002), Mitsubishi Pajero, Mazda Bongo, Mercedes 250D, 250TD, 300D, 300TD, VW / AUDI 1.9TD (not tdi)

More information on running on veg oil here:-

http://www.make-biodiesel.co.uk/vegetable_oil_in_car

Advice on running your diesel car on biodiesel:-

http://www.make-biodiesel.co.uk/biodiesel_facts
    Where are peeps getting cheap oil these days?

If you are serious about using veg oil, or you have 'issues' with using veg oil made for the food chain, then why not recycle old veg oil from your local takeaway or start an oil collecting round for the local pubs and hotels?

Some eateries still have to pay for the safe disposal of used veg oil, but even if you were to pay the eateries for their used oil to ensure a supply, say a token 5p or 10p per litre, you would still save a small fortune over diesel costs, and you can legally use upto 2500 litres per year without paying duty - you'd also be recycling a used product!.

In order to use old cooking oil in your car, you will need to filter the oil initially, dewater it by heating it to 60c for about 30 mins, and then leave it to stand for a week or so before draining the crud of it.

The full process of recycling used veg oil is described in some detail here:-

http://www.make-biodiesel.co.uk/dewatering_vegetable_oil

Either way, its more for the enthusiast and the serious money saver!, for those who don't have the time or inclination, then you'll just have to accept that high cooking oil prices are pretty much here to stay, or find a decent biodiesel supplier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure