PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

bicarb or baking powder?

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    This explains the difference http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodchemistry/f/blbaking.htm

Baking soda is what they call bicarb in the US ;)

I'd put it in some vinegar too, although if it is very ancient bicarb it might not froth as much as fresh stuff.

There is a slight difference in texture. Baking powder is just like flour-soft and dry whereas bicarb tends to clump together and have a slightly crystalline texture albeit very finely grained. Not sure if I've described them very well -I just know I'd be able to tell by looking and feeling.
    HTH
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    great advice ive had this problem before
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    I'm trying to make a cake and pretty sure i have baking powder here. But there is something here with no label.

I have the following

Baking Powder - Red Lid
    Bacrab of Soda - Blue (this has a label)
    Ground Arrowroot - Green (also has a label)

Before i pop out to the shops does anyone know if this is baking powder?

thanks
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Mr Kennedy,

It has a red lid.

Pink
  • misty-moodles
    Options
    Hi there - just checked in my cupboards and you're right, the baking powder has a red lid. Hope this helps!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mine too :)

You could always go to your shop's on line site and "order" it (just don't finish shopping). The picture will tell you :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • BaileyB
    BaileyB Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Options
    thanks everyone, it's risen up anyway :)
  • buyitall
    buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to be so thick, but .....I am just about to make biscuits - Twinks' hobnobs to be precise. I don't have any bicarbonate of soda - is it ok to use baking powder instead? Thanks for any advice!:confused:
  • danz0l
    danz0l Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think it will work as good. Baking powder is a much weaker powder compared to bicarbonate of Soda.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/ck_culinary_qa/article/0,1971,FOOD_9796_4349208,00.html

Baking powder is similar to baking soda, though it's about a quarter as strong, and it's mixed together with exactly the right proportion of acid in order for it to activate. Though it may seem counterintuitive when a recipe calls for both, it makes scientific sense.

Mmm maybe twice the amount of baking powder ? Never tried it but might be worth a go.
    A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
    OK OK
    I'm a house husband but it did sound better my way :beer:
  • buyitall
    buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, I will give it a try. Hopefully biscuits are less 'sensitive' than cakes or bread. I'll use it as an excuse if they're inedible!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure