PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

bicarb or baking powder?

Options

Comments

• ethansmum
    ethansmum Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    Options
    Please help!I'm at my wits end with DS, so we decided to bake muffins in the hope that I'll get 10mins peace and quiet when he eats them. Horror! my baking powder expired oct 2003- can I still use it? Can I use my new bicarbonate of soda instead? Thanks so much for your help!
    July Win: Nokia 5800
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    :eek: I've just checked the date on mine and its AUG 04 and I've still been using it. Don't normally check.:o

I've not had any problems. Should be fine.:)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • ethansmum
    Options
    Super thanks Rikki!

Get the kettle on then abd you cab have a muffin with your tea:)
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    ethansmum wrote:
    Super thanks Rikki!

Get the kettle on then abd you cab have a muffin with your tea:)
    :coffee: Thanks.:)
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Don't substitute bicarb for baking powder ;) They do different things. I'd go ahead and use your powder, it might be a little less effective but I don't think it will ruin your muffins.
  • ethansmum
    Options
    Thank you for that advice Thruftlady- I just assumed that they were the same.

Well I made them, they rose up okay but some stuck to the bottom of the paper cases (with little bubbles iykwim). DS enjoyed them though and gave me my 10 minutes of peace so I'm happy.

Thank you for your help, and sorry for the typos in my previous messages.
  • black-saturn
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    Don't substitute bicarb for baking powder ;) They do different things. I'd go ahead and use your powder, it might be a little less effective but I don't think it will ruin your muffins.
    I bought baking powder by mistake last time and my cakes havn't been rising as well.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    I think baking powder is a mix of bicarb and something else.
    travelover
  • foreverskint
    Options
    Baking powder is a mix of cream of tartar and bicarb

Two parts cream of tartar and one part bicarb.
  • ellas9602
    ellas9602 Posts: 721 Forumite
    Options
    Bicarbonate of soda/baking powder

helllo :hello:

Tonight I will be trying out two low(er) fat cake recipes.

One calls for baking powder and the other Bicarb of soda. As I have neither I dont want to buy both if I dont have to. So what's the difference? :confused:

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport