PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

bicarb or baking powder?

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Bicarb will fizz if you add an acid to it-vinegar or lemon juice.

So will baking powder, as it contains bicarb ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    So will baking powder, as it contains bicarb ;)

Penny. x
    But doesn't it also contain an acid? I thought adding more acid would in some way cancel out the fizzing effect. But I don't really know what I'm talking about :o so I bow to your far superior chemical knowledge Prof Penguin:D
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    But doesn't it also contain an acid? I thought adding more acid would in some way cancel out the fizzing effect. But I don't really know what I'm talking about :o so I bow to your far superior chemical knowledge Prof Penguin:D

Baking powder does, indeed contain tartaric acid. But neither the acid nor the alkali (bicarb) are activated until liquid is added. I was pondering this, and suspect you can get the baking powder to fizz with just the addition of water. This, after all, is what we do when we add baking powder to cake mix - the liquid in there activates the chemical reaction, to release carbon dioxide, the raising agent :D

Penny. x
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Thanks for that Prof;) I can confirm that baking powder does fizz when acid is added, so please ignore my advice Vikki Louise :o I do think they feel different though, I'm sure I can tell the difference.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Thanks for that Prof ;)

Are you teasing me :naughty: :whistle: :think: :p
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Are you teasing me :naughty: :whistle: :think: :p
    No, no! I know you know your chemical stuff, I am showing respect for your knowledge :T:p:D
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    Options
    I've substituted bicarb before, but prefer baking powder. You have to be careful with how much you put in, or it will make things taste a bit salty.
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I put a bit ( obviously way too much) bicarb into y last batch of meringues. I read, somewhere on here I think, that it helped .
    They were utterly foul! Family all grimaced at each other and asked why they tasted like prawn crackers from the takeaway.
    Horrible, horrible.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • suzybloo
    suzybloo Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    IS that the same as bicarbonate of soda? I am going to make oatcakes or bannocks as we call them but not sure what they mean by baking soda, or is it baking powder or cream of tartar! :question:
    Went to get rough oatcakes today to have with our HM soup and they were over apound for 6, will try making my own, so if anyone has a tried a trusted recipe I would appreciate it too!
    Every days a School day!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 September 2011 at 6:45PM
    Options
    Baking Soda = Bicarbonate of Soda.

http://www.thelosthaven.co.uk/BSoda.htm

I'll add your query to our main thread (bicarb or baking powder?) later
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family