Petrol Station Con?

Options
Do you think that all pumps at petrol stations should have a button to select an amount of fuel in multiples of £5.00 up to £20.00? The times Ive been into a station and and no how much I try I end up paying that extra couple of pence because of the sensitivity of the pump! I know they have this in Spain so why not in the UK?

Comments

• enfield_freddy
    Options
    my local has a jar on the counter , you chuck your odd copper in , and retrieve it when a copper short.

yes I agree that you should be able to pre set the amount .
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    How is it a con.

Just aim to put multiples of £4.99 up to £19.99 in the tank.

I use a cashback credit card for petrol, can't remember the last time I paid in cash.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You pay a penny over but you get the petrol over too. What's the problem?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • kev_min
    kev_min Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    The pumps at my local Tesco have exactly that feature, I can not recall the values you can select but they are there to be used.
    At times any combination of my spelling, grammar or punctuation may be incorrect. Please do not pick me up for this as, after all, it is only an internet forum.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just fill it up to the top. Going to the petrol station is a chore I'd rather do as infrequently as possible and it's not like it saves you money to only put £5 in each time, as you still use the same amount of fuel to cover the same journey. Any savings from having a few less kilos to accelerate are likely to be offset by additional trips to fill up.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Clearly not a con on the basis you are paying what you have taken.

Cannot say I've ever had an issue of dispensing the amount of petrol that I want and been doing it for over 20 years. As others have said, if you want to pay cash and concerned about going over the amount of money you have then aim to put in just under.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Solution go to a pre pay garage/pump and save the extra penny or two.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

should be the same as when checking the tyre pressures, if you go a bit over you just deflate, no extra charge.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kev_min wrote: »
    The pumps at my local Tesco have exactly that feature, I can not recall the values you can select but they are there to be used.
    I tried to use those once, couldn't get them to work though.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    should be the same as when checking the tyre pressures, if you go a bit over you just deflate, no extra charge.
    So there should be a way to remove the the extra fuel from your tank and return it to the petrol station's storage...?

And what if the person ahead of you in the queue had misfuelled his car, then took advantage of that to drain his tank of the mix of petrol and diesel?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure