Vanguard Life Strategy

Options

Comments

• chockydavid1983
    Options
    Does the 0.1% initial charge basically apply to all the money I ever add to the fund? So my initial payment and future monthly payments? Also, is there any minimum opening deposit?

Thanks,
    Chris.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes it does
    Minimum opening will vary by platform, some require as low as £25 with monthly contributions
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Does the 0.1% initial charge basically apply to all the money I ever add to the fund? So my initial payment and future monthly payments? Also, is there any minimum opening deposit?

Thanks,
    Chris.

Just so you're clear, all the VLS info you need is here

https://www.vanguard.co.uk/uk/portal/investments/all-products?productType=indexFund
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Thanks,
    Chris.

Make one purchase of a thousand or a thousand purchases of one you'll pay exactly the same 0.1% dilution levy, assuming no transaction fees apply and all else being equal.

Percentage charging is more of a tax than a fee.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Jsscmm
    Jsscmm Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    JohnRo wrote: »
    Make one purchase of a thousand or a thousand purchases of one you'll pay exactly the same 0.1% dilution levy, assuming no transaction fees apply and all else being equal.

Percentage charging is more of a tax than a fee.

As the dilution levy goes towards the costs of buying new shares spread amongst the existing holders, arguably a thousand purchases of 1 would mean you were getting a little of your own levy back, as by the second purchase onwards you are an existing holder.

But that is really splitting hairs with dancers on top of a pin.
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    Haha awesome, I never thought of it like that! :-)
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 7 June 2015 at 10:55PM
    Options
    Jsscmm wrote: »
    As the dilution levy goes towards the costs of buying new shares spread amongst the existing holders, arguably a thousand purchases of 1 would mean you were getting a little of your own levy back, as by the second purchase onwards you are an existing holder.

But that is really splitting hairs with dancers on top of a pin.

You may well have a point, you'd have to do some astronomical calculations though to work out the net benefit of the levy to existing holders as it isn't afaik designed to act as a bonus for existing holders of the fund, it's there simply to cover the buying and selling transaction costs so existing holders don't have to.

Do we know if the levy is actually ploughed back in or is it held separately as a trading fees slush fund?
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • roxy28
    roxy28 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    roxy28 wrote: »
    Ok thanks.

I opened the ISA 2 weeks ago and thought once that was open the fund can be bought and ready to go instantly, newbie i am to fund buying lol.

I now have the fund open, i have some money in my ISA and i want to add to the fund, is it a case of just buying more now, and that will be automaticaly added to my ISA. VLS 60 fund.
    :T
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    roxy28 wrote: »
    I now have the fund open, i have some money in my ISA and i want to add to the fund, is it a case of just buying more now, and that will be automaticaly added to my ISA. VLS 60 fund.

When logged into your ISA you should be given options such as 'buy more' & 'sell' in relation to your existing holdings. Simply click on 'buy more' and enter the amount you want to invest.

If you want to invest in something else, there should be a search facility where you enter the fund/share name.
  • roxy28
    roxy28 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    When logged into your ISA you should be given options such as 'buy more' & 'sell' in relation to your existing holdings. Simply click on 'buy more' and enter the amount you want to invest.

If you want to invest in something else, there should be a search facility where you enter the fund/share name.

OK thanks.
    Yes i clicked on buy more and it went through ok. just working myself around my dashboard, ie options etc.
    There is something i am not sure about yet, where it says your fund basket , weight of the fund and a few other terms, mentions the weight is 5%.
    :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport