Vanguard Life Strategy

Options

Comments

• inspireme247
    inspireme247 Posts: 188 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks badger09, sorry I do remember asking that before but not the response, apologies.
    I think clicking the link just opened up my results with iWeb top. Can I ask what other values you put in? I'm not sure how my results are different :-/.

Wrapper: ISA
    Funds: Total lump sum £500, total monthly savings £400, number of funds 1, number of trades per year 12
    Shares: None
    Number of years: 39
    Annual return: 7%

Thanks,
    Chris.

Try 10 years, you'll see both Cavendish Online and Charles Stanley Direct are at the top. iWeb and other platforms will be at top eventually when your fund is becoming significant.
    You will only fail to learn if you do not learn from failing.

Save 2015 - #097 £600/£7000
    CC Outstanding #1: £2544 02/2017 #2: £398 09/2015 #3: £363 08/2015
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks badger09, sorry I do remember asking that before but not the response, apologies.
    I think clicking the link just opened up my results with iWeb top. Can I ask what other values you put in? I'm not sure how my results are different :-/.

Wrapper: ISA
    Funds: Total lump sum £500, total monthly savings £400, number of funds 1, number of trades per year 12
    Shares: None
    Number of years: 39
    Annual return: 7%

Thanks,
    Chris.

The only difference is that I left the Number of years as the default 10, rather than your 39.

One reason is that a lot can happen in 10 years,let alone 39 :cool: for example possible changes in ISA legislation, your ability to invest more(?), platform charges etc etc. So I wouldn't assume I would stick with the same platform on the same terms for 39 years (actually I'll be long gone by then:p)

You have to start somewhere, so start with wherever makes the most sense now and for the forseeable short/medium term?
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    Ah I see, thanks inspireme247 and badger09.
    Yeah iWeb only seems to be top over more than 15 years.
    So I guess the plan would be to go with Cavendish Online and Charles Stanley Direct and switch once my fund becomes significant. I guess Cavendish wins slightly here from having no exit fee.

Thanks,
    Chris.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    arbster wrote: »
    You could probably transfer (part of) your current year's ISA to an ISA with L&G and avoid the platform charges.
    ISA regulations require that you transfer the whole of your current year's ISA (S&S or cash) if you transfer any of it.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • arbster
    arbster Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    ISA regulations require that you transfer the whole of your current year's ISA (S&S or cash) if you transfer any of it.
    Thank you for this - I'd missed that it was legislation, but had become aware of stipulations in providers' T&Cs.
  • arbster
    arbster Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    The L&G multi-index funds for example. That uses passives but has a wider range and the allocations are more fluid (so small management decisions exist). The L&G MI4 has outperformed the VLS40 (risk matched) over 3 months, 6 months and 1 year (history is short). Similarly the L&G MI5 has outperformed the VLS60. Although its not as close on a volatility match as the VLS40 and MI4.
    Looking further at the comparative performance of the LS and MI funds, there appears to a be a greater difference in the bid-offer spread for the MI funds, which seem to negatively affect performance over time. I don't really understand why, though. Can anyone elaborate?
  • afly
    afly Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry if this has been asked a 1000 times before, I have searched but found little.

Does anyone know if its normal for a monthly invest with charles stanley into a vanguard LS to be stuck at "pending" for 48 hrs+?
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    afly wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked a 1000 times before, I have searched but found little.

Does anyone know if its normal for a monthly invest with charles stanley into a vanguard LS to be stuck at "pending" for 48 hrs+?

Yes it's normal. Anything up to 5 days in my experience before the contract note is delivered, depending what time of day and when in the week the purchase was ordered.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • afly
    afly Posts: 105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Excellent, thank you
  • hails14
    hails14 Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Finally took the plunge with VLS.

I'm 26 and because I'm a newbie to investing I thought I would start small to find my feet. I have started with £50 per month just now to see what happens eventually I will start putting in a bigger amount each month.

I went for CSD and VLS 80% but was think having it for 10+ years then slowly switching to 60%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure