Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alex, I really hope your meal goes well and that the children enjoy the Easter Egg hunt.

Please try to relax and enjoy the company of your extended family.

Just make small talk and try not to over think any comments made by your father-in-law.

Another way to try and cope is think of it as few hours, in their company, in a 24 hour day.

I hope you and your wife can enjoy each others company during her days off from work.

Take care
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mrsk is right. Just from watching those Rich House Poor House programmes you'd soon realise that a large percentage of the population don't even own a dining table let alone one that seats 9. Just focus on providing a hearty meal with maximum advance preparation and then relax! 😃
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My parents are greedy, they have two dining tables and one kitchen table! Only one large enough to seat 10 people, more at a squeeze.

I have one kitchen table, a proper farmhouse type that is battered and worn but still going strong, the boys want me to get a new one and show me all these posh tables but I much prefer my all purpose, bashed about one that has stood the test of time and that you can put pretty much anything on without it getting damaged. Has seated 6 comfortably in the past but it meant it had to be moved into the front room from the kitchen and actually getting to the seats was easier said than done.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You asked about sourcing bathroom things.

I bought a good quality acrylic bath - longer and wider than the standard because my husband is 6'4 - with a reinforcement in the base - very happy with the quality and longevity.

I bought a low profile up and over shower tray (up and over means the wall-covering and cubicle part is inside the ridge so no water leaks down behind) and two glass panels for the side and front. The other two walls (the corner of the room) are shower-boarded. This means that there is no mouldy grout. Ever. Very easy to keep clean and pristine. The shower and boards came via a plumber's merchant as I previously bought a top of the range shower and it simply was not worth it. It had to be replaced in five years - so don't waste your money here.

I recommend a standard sized toilet that fits standard toilet seats - ours isn't and I have replaced the seat twice - costing nearly as much as the toilet did.

I prefer two taps to a mono-block but it is a waste if the water flow of one is interrupted by turning the other on.

I recommend you look at reviews of taps and shower-taps and buy the best you can afford in a range that is not too fashion-conscious. It is all about being able to maintain them - not whether they remain in fashion. The Companies no longer make standard ranges that are intended to last for years - they want you to replace them when something goes wrong. So they change the design so there are no more spares, forcing you to change. You could buy spare parts but difficult to know what. We run our shower off the central heating (i.e. not an electric one) and the flow is fine as long as the washing machine isn't filling :rotfl:.

My (cheap) taps on the washbasin are a big disappointment - the chrome has degraded in less than five years (when the stockist was closing down I bought a second set that we have now used and they are the same).

I bought a towel-rail radiator (a reproduction Victorian style white radiator with the rail above) - I bought it online and it was fine from a Company with good reviews.

We did the floor with cheap stick-on tiles from B&Q on the basis that it would get hammered. We bought some spares and simply replace them when they degrade. A DIY job, along with tiling (but not in the shower)

Plain white tiles from a DIY shed and standard pipes and wastes. We took the opportunity to remove old piping back to the water supply so no danger of lead pipes degrading.

We put in a light-fan in the shower and recessed halogen ceiling lights, installed by a professional.

Under no circumstances go for a Dolphin bathroom - double the price and all non-standard fittings means any repairs cost a fortune.

Oh yes, we put a tongue and groove timber panel on the bath, painting it white and including a hinged door so we can stash things in the recess at the end of the bath, and a tiled shelf between the wall and the inner bath edge so there is somewhere for toiletries to sit.

I bought a v expensive wall mirrored cabinet with halogen lighting in it. Worth every penny. From an expensive supplier. Idid my research by looking at the quality in showrooms and DIY sheds, then researched suppliers and bought some locally and some online. I estimate I saved around £3k that way.

I used trusted kitchen fitters to do the installation, and then a local plumber to replace the shower.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Today has been rather eventful. I had an awful time trying to get to sleep last night, finally did and managed to get 5 hours uninterrupted but woke up feeling very ill. My anxiety levels rose to the point of having a massive panic attack just after the in-laws arrived. One of the most embarrassing things to happen to me in a long time. :o Whilst the others had the Easter egg hunt, I stayed in the house with my mother-in-law who insisted on staying behind and helping a little in the kitchen. Roast went well and was enjoyed by all. The in-laws were impressed by the chocolate cake my son and I had made.

Brother-in-law found the prize egg and split it between his children and my son. Seeing them together as a family made me pleased for my son who had a brilliant day. My parents-in-law stayed until 9.30pm: they came for a walk with us, son played some music to them, father-in-law told my son a fantastically animated story about when he was a boy and his school and mother-in-law read to him at bedtime. :)

After dinner had been served and eaten I asked if the in-laws would rather I didn't speak or go into another room so they could spend time with their daughter and grandson. I was quite surprised they wanted to spend time in my presence.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Alex I am so pleased the meal went so well.

It shows you that you are valued and respected by your in-laws, even though you might not think or see it.

I am sure your son will have many happy memories of today.

Please have more faith in yourself.

Take care and Happy Easter to you and your family.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    April Targets:

OSPREYS - CHECK.
    In-laws were present for Osprey check and were surprising interested. :)
    PLAN EASTER HOLIDAY
    Make a decision re. bathroom / holiday / potential debt.

For those of you who've renovated bathrooms, where did you buy things from and how have things lasted?

This all seems to be a bit of a minefield. Most of the items we've looked at have a 25 year guarantee which seems good.

Total Grocery Spend: £180/ £400. NSD today.
    Surplus Money: / £800.
    Bed before 11.30pm: 4 / 31. This illustrates my terrible sleeping habits to me.
    Meditation: 7 / 31.
    De-clutter and sell / 5 items.
    New Recipes: / 4.
    Books (to read for pleasure): / 3.
    You asked about sourcing bathroom things.

I bought a good quality acrylic bath - longer and wider than the standard because my husband is 6'4 - with a reinforcement in the base - very happy with the quality and longevity.

I bought a low profile up and over shower tray (up and over means the wall-covering and cubicle part is inside the ridge so no water leaks down behind) and two glass panels for the side and front. The other two walls (the corner of the room) are shower-boarded. This means that there is no mouldy grout. Ever. Very easy to keep clean and pristine. The shower and boards came via a plumber's merchant as I previously bought a top of the range shower and it simply was not worth it. It had to be replaced in five years - so don't waste your money here.

I recommend a standard sized toilet that fits standard toilet seats - ours isn't and I have replaced the seat twice - costing nearly as much as the toilet did.

I prefer two taps to a mono-block but it is a waste if the water flow of one is interrupted by turning the other on.

I recommend you look at reviews of taps and shower-taps and buy the best you can afford in a range that is not too fashion-conscious. It is all about being able to maintain them - not whether they remain in fashion. The Companies no longer make standard ranges that are intended to last for years - they want you to replace them when something goes wrong. So they change the design so there are no more spares, forcing you to change. You could buy spare parts but difficult to know what. We run our shower off the central heating (i.e. not an electric one) and the flow is fine as long as the washing machine isn't filling :rotfl:.

My (cheap) taps on the washbasin are a big disappointment - the chrome has degraded in less than five years (when the stockist was closing down I bought a second set that we have now used and they are the same).

I bought a towel-rail radiator (a reproduction Victorian style white radiator with the rail above) - I bought it online and it was fine from a Company with good reviews.

We did the floor with cheap stick-on tiles from B&Q on the basis that it would get hammered. We bought some spares and simply replace them when they degrade. A DIY job, along with tiling (but not in the shower)

Plain white tiles from a DIY shed and standard pipes and wastes. We took the opportunity to remove old piping back to the water supply so no danger of lead pipes degrading.

We put in a light-fan in the shower and recessed halogen ceiling lights, installed by a professional.

Under no circumstances go for a Dolphin bathroom - double the price and all non-standard fittings means any repairs cost a fortune.

Oh yes, we put a tongue and groove timber panel on the bath, painting it white and including a hinged door so we can stash things in the recess at the end of the bath, and a tiled shelf between the wall and the inner bath edge so there is somewhere for toiletries to sit.

I bought a v expensive wall mirrored cabinet with halogen lighting in it. Worth every penny. From an expensive supplier. Idid my research by looking at the quality in showrooms and DIY sheds, then researched suppliers and bought some locally and some online. I estimate I saved around £3k that way.

I used trusted kitchen fitters to do the installation, and then a local plumber to replace the shower.

Thank you, SL. :) Your advice is much appreciated. I will definitely look into taps in a little more detail than I perhaps would have now. Do need to get thinking about the shower too but will have a word with the plumber first. :)

This is the frontrunner at the moment:
    https://www.victorianbathrooms4u.com/brands/heritage/bathroom-suites/granley/heritage-granley-high-level-complete-bathroom-suite/

Rather taken with this tonight but the budget does not allow:
    https://www.castironbath.co.uk/la-rochelle-copper-cast-iron-bateau-bath.html

Also really like these:
    https://www.oldfashionedbathrooms.co.uk/products/victoria-albert-volcanic-limestone-baths/

The plan is to have a freestanding bath as a feature. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Oh Alex I am so pleased the meal went so well.

It shows you that you are valued and respected by your in-laws, even though you might not think or see it.

I am sure your son will have many happy memories of today.

Please have more faith in yourself.

Take care and Happy Easter to you and your family.

My son had a wonderful time and I'd like to hope he will have fond memories of today in the future. This is what matters. :)

Father-in-law actually said the same thing about having faith in myself.

Happy Easter, also. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Alex (I say this lovingly) you silly twit of COURSE they want to spend time with you.

How did you bring your panic attack under control? Well done for that.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Alex, I am glad the meal was a success and everyone enjoyed it. Happy Easter.

I do like the traditional style bathroom. I had a high level toilet cistern at two previous houses and the flow is so much better (and they are less likely to be shunted and crack!). Regarding the prospect of a cast-iron free-standing bath - don't forget you may need to get the floor joists reinforced to support the weight (full of water and one or two people). We put in the same style in our first house but found the bath a little short for us, and very underused, compared to the shower. At the next house we had a 6' cast iron rectangular bath and at this house, the reinforced acrylic one. The acrylic one has been the best, in terms of heat, cost, ease of cleaning and comfort. The reinforcement we have is Carronite. You should look before you write them off. Drench have a good selection of freestanding, traditional style http://www.drench.co.uk/baths/freestanding-baths

I took out a trial membership with Which.co.uk on Friday as we had to get a second lawnmower (long story) so I just checked out their bit on bathroom renovation. There is some good practical advice and a survey of members regarding "High Street" suppliers. The top 3 were:

1. Plumb Centre 82%
    2. Independent Tradesmen 81%
    3. Online suppliers 80%

The bottom two are B&Q and Homebase (just over 50%).

Probably worth a £1 one-month trial membership for you to glean advice there and best-buy advice too.

Have you considered underfloor heating? I might have mentioned before that we put down electric underfloor heating at our last house - in the kitchen extension - and it was great. Warm underfoot and you only put it down where the empty floor will be so very economical for a bathroom. I understand you can get a mat now to go under your flooring so maybe one by your bath so your feet are warm there and in front of the shower and washbasin.

I love planning these sort of projects - using my trusty spreadsheets to track the items, sources, prices, delivery and installation.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport