Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    March Targets:

Total Grocery Spend: £75/>£450.
    Surplus Money: £0/£750.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 7/31. Going to bed after this.
    Meditation:7/31. Only doing the one minute meditation as and when at the moment.
    One new recipe per week: 1/4.
    Read three books: 0/3.
    3 Things for Wednesday: 1. Submit some important documents, 2. Find three things to smile about, 3. Get up when the alarm calls for the first time.

3 Things for Monday: 1. Be ready for school without rushing around, done. 2. Find three things to smile about, done. 3. Write a few notes to remind myself about the meditation if things aren't going well and place around the house. done, wife thinks it is amusing.
    maman wrote: »
    Don't mean to be hard on you. I know it's not easy but I'm thinking of you and your family.

I'm sure rationing the time you spend there is the way to go. :)

Yes, I think you're right. At the moment I'm cooking lunch and dinner for them everyday.
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Are you suggesting he gets a Prince Albert :eek::o:D.
    Save

:eek:

Gally... always around to lower the tone.

I've not laughed so much all week, though. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OMG! I've just Googled that. How awful! :eek:

Gally is corrupting us all. :rotfl:
    :rotfl: out of the mouths of innocents

:rotfl:
    Maiden_Mum wrote: »
    Oh my! I had never heard of that either!

:rotfl:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My ex had one :)

Alex, I'm so glad to read the positivity that's coming through in your posts at the moment! Long may it continue!

(As a scientist in academia though, can we agree to disagree regarding the EU? :rotfl:)

HBS x

:eek: :rotfl:

Thank you, I'm trying to stay positive. There are things to be positive about despite being very tired all the time at the moment. No idea why as I'm getting more sleep than usual.

:rotfl: Re. the EU. Our universities are renowned around the world, I think research funding will be found, somehow. My main issue is to do with potential problems the EU could cause for classic cars. I'm somewhat willing to risk our government with legislation concerning classics as there are plenty of MPs with classics. ;)
    My ex got one a while after we'd split up amicably and very proudly showed it to me - all I could think at the time was 'I wish I had a large magnet right now!'

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Not sure I've ever been that friendly with an ex for that to be an appropriate thing to show.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    :eek:

Gally... always around to lower the tone.

I've not laughed so much all week, though. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Glad to be of assistance :)
    Save
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pleased my inadvertent faux pas with the Prince Consort gave us all a laugh!:D

AlexLK wrote: »
    Re. the EU. Our universities are renowned around the world, I think research funding will be found, somehow. My main issue is to do with potential problems the EU could cause for classic cars. I'm somewhat willing to risk our government with legislation concerning classics as there are plenty of MPs with classics. ;)

I'll have to agree to disagree with you too on the EU Alex. I can understand you coming from it with a Classic car viewpoint but if only that were the main concern. Aside from the fact that leaving doesn't sit comfortably with me philosophically, in practical terms we will have major problems running the NHS, care sector, agriculture, hospitality, construction etc. if we maintain the Brexit stance on immigration. I think the Remain campaign was highly irresponsible capitalising on UKIP's barely covert racism and to use a David Bowie quote 'Fighting the Fire with Gasolene'.

And don't get me on the proposed spend on selective schools......:mad:
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    March Targets:

Total Grocery Spend: £92/>£450.
    Surplus Money: £0/£750.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 8/31. Going to bed after this, so will be before midnight. :)
    Meditation:8/31. Only doing the one minute meditation as and when at the moment.
    One new recipe per week: 1/4.
    3 Things for Thursday: 1. Catch up with emails, 2. Find three things to smile about, 3. Get up when the alarm calls for the first time (give it another try).

3 Things for Wednesday: 1. Submit some important documents, haven't done this as I didn't receive some information back that I was expecting2. Find three things to smile about, 1. Other people with classics on here, 2. My son telling my wife a song she was singing should be sung by me. Apparently, I'll be there to save the day and Superman got nothin' on me. :rotfl: 3. A pupil's piano technique light bulb moment. 3. Get up when the alarm calls for the first time. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Glad to be of assistance :)
    Save

:D
    Pleased my inadvertent faux pas with the Prince Consort gave us all a laugh!:D

I'll have to agree to disagree with you too on the EU Alex. I can understand you coming from it with a Classic car viewpoint but if only that were the main concern. Aside from the fact that leaving doesn't sit comfortably with me philosophically, in practical terms we will have major problems running the NHS, care sector, agriculture, hospitality, construction etc. if we maintain the Brexit stance on immigration. I think the Remain campaign was highly irresponsible capitalising on UKIP's barely covert racism and to use a David Bowie quote 'Fighting the Fire with Gasolene'.

And don't get me on the proposed spend on selective schools......:mad:

My first thought was something along the lines of you having a point about innovation. :) Certainly wasn't thinking along the lines of Gally's thoughts. :A

Why do you believe we will have major problems running those sectors? I do not believe immigration into the UK will stop after leaving the EU. One of the problems with the agriculture industry in the UK is due to farmers not being paid a fair price for their produce. Fair prices, IMO, is a much better solution than those offered by the EU. Yes, food prices will rise but they are artificially low at the moment. Without the EU, our government has freedom to reduce red tape and layers of bureaucracy, whether they will remains to be seen, of course.

I know I should have an opinion of selective state education but I don't really feel I have the experience to give an informed opinion. My experience of state senior schools (don't believe she's calling for 7+ entry?) is limited to one department in the volunteer school which I don't think gives me a fair view.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    March Targets:

Total Grocery Spend: £92/>£450.
    Surplus Money: £0/£750. Having a discussion with my wife tomorrow about our finances.
    Going to bed at a reasonable time: 9/31. I'll be going to bed before midnight again. Probably at 11pm. :)
    Meditation: 9/31. Only doing the one minute meditation as and when at the moment.
    One new recipe per week: 2/4. Was missing some ingredients for tonight's dinner so it was a bit of an experiment. A nice experiment, though. :)
    3 Things for Friday: 1. Meet my wife for lunch, 2. Find three things to smile about, 3. Try another youtube meditation.

3 Things for Thursday: 1. Catch up with emails, Umm, no. :o 2. Find three things to smile about, 1. My son is really happy to be back here, 2. Day off from the parents :o, 3. I feel I've made the right decision re. my marriage (I know it's not been long).3. Get up when the alarm calls for the first time (give it another try) :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

No real news today, I've kept myself busy all day. Out of trouble, I suppose. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I used to have a bright blue plastic mosque alarm clock that played the call to prayer.....It was a gift, and it was INcreDIBLY LOUD.....my ex's borther threw it out. I was gutted.
    If you can find one of those, I guarantee you'll get up....If only to throw it out of the window.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    Options
    I love the fact that you are comfortable with having made the right decision about your marriage. Making the decision. Being comfortable with it because it is right for you. These are the things that give you peace of mind. From this base, your sleep pattern, your positivity and your action-based approach will grow. Really well done.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,952 Forumite
    Options
    I'm glad things are more positive for you Alex, you have made the right descision both trying to make your marriage work, if you are both onboard to make changes and you still love each other you start from a good position. Your son is happier, you sound happier, dont let the negative thoughts work their way back in, you are doing amazingly well and have the chance of a great future :)

Have a great weekend, what are you up to?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, currently month 19 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure