PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't know about courage probably more like shear bloody mindedness and never been one to walk away from a challenge , will listen out for those angle wings ,although knowing my luck has more chance to be something crash landing :rotfl:

Could I swap you for 17 coats ..... 30 white work shirts or 17 flasks !!!! I loose him in a shop and he honestly comes back with a flask ..... not normal

Love the sound of the garden , mine is just taking shape now and we have been here 16 years .... but most of my plants look at me and die ......
    £223/ £250 GC
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have memories of my friend Erics strawberry wine Floss. Vague ones.

No need to resist Silvasava, lean in :D it's been tickling me for a week that thd digger driver is called Bob. Bob the bobcat driver.

Mitstm... the bit in front of our wall is 22m x 1m, the big down the driveway about 20m x 3m ish, thd front garden 22m x 5m, the side bit about 15m x 1m, the back bit top tier is about 3.5m x 26m, the bottom tier I haven't been down to yet, it looks from here about the same, then theres a bit by the fence 80cm x 26m. It's a lorra lorra garden (blame Silvasava). In front of the wall is done, large purple tobouchinas and climbing Jasmine on little trellises. The side of the house is a long herb garden, also done. The front garden so far has 1 little garden bed of lavender and rosemary and a nice gravel and sandstone path we put in, there's dwarf citrus going in some of it and a little shade garden out front of the bedroom. The side by the drive is getting random planting at the front, a fence and gate, a shed, a place for the bins and raised garden veggie beds. The top tier at the back is mostly grass apart from a native garden and a succulent area. Bottom tier also partly natives, throwing my banana in there and more foody things hidden too. And a bench. I hope you remember that Mitstm, you will be tested later :p

Food plants here are subject to many pests, because we have the joy of living next to a forest, but some of them are so pretty I don't mind.

If you feel like a quick google image search look at banksias, kangaroo paw and proteas, all nice native plants.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I want my husband back, he used to be amusing, affectionate and cheerful, now the poor bu&&er is stressed, overstretched and demoralised!
    Anyway, going forwards (I hate that naffing saying), I have shifted four more car loads of stuff, next I need to phone the charities that accept furniture to arrange a collection, 2 bookshelves, 2 wall units, an office chair, a bedside unit, a blanket box, 2 wicker units and a partridge in a pear tree. I'm thinking of hiding a coat in each item of furniture that is collected.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Ooh that garden sounds nice Softstuff - @colour me envious. I'd be rather pleased to have one like it myself - as mine counts as Challenge (Big Time) to try and get it the way I "knew" My Garden would be in forever house.

Photos of progress would be nice if possible:). One of my preferred garden styles is "lush and tropical" - so those aspects of it sound good to me. No chance of owt like that in wet and windy West Wales:(.

I watched that series "Indian Summers" on tv recently and lived amongst scenery like that for part of my childhood - so was glued to screen thinking "Oooooh.....lust lust" about that.

So - tastes from childhood are "exotic lush gardens" and "Mediterranean courtyard gardens". Oh well....back to the small British one and my Challenge to transform that as best possible.

You're definitely hearing "shades of envy" here - and I'll go study my "50 shades of grey British garden" again in a minute and ponder...

Down Hester....not THAT "50 shades of Grey":rotfl:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    ((HUGS)) Hester, I really hope you get your lovely husband back very soon xx
  • Softstuff
    Options
    *hugs* Hester, it sucks about your husband's job. I hope you manage to get him away and back to his self soon.

Mitstm, I have an idea in my head about the garden, getting it there will be fun and a full on job, but being flexible and letting it happen is half of it I think.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aw, Hester. Poor you and poor L&M. He probably feels completely overwhelmed with problems at work and big changes taking place at home. It is exactly the same for you but we women, being the more adaptable sex, somehow manage to ride these storms in life. Bless you both. I do hope that you both soon recover your joie de vivre.

Softstuff. I love hearing about your Cinderella garden. It must have been stunning to get back home and find a complete transformation. I know all about sloping gardens. My cottage was on a hill that sloped two ways. It had its difficulties but the view was to die for so I gladly put up with it. Also, although it was huge, a lot of it was woodland and some of it was a paddock that was carpeted with wild orchids every May. Yep. I miss it.

I didn't get very far with the curtain linings yesterday. I'd just got everything laid out when a friend arrived and scooped me up to take me out. Only for a trip to T*sc*s. How sad am I that this should be a great treat! As I do almost all my shopping in the village it was a golden opportunity to stock up a bit on the few things that the village shops don't have. So now I am OK for the only shower gel that doesn't make me itch, my favourite coffee and some butter that was on offer.

Back to the curtains today. Why is it that however carefully you measure and cut the pieces never match up perfectly? Never mind, as long as they keep the light out and little miss stops waking up with the birds, they will have to do.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    Options
    MTSTM, I lost the will to live after part one of 50 shades, mind you 50 sheds, now that was really funny.
    Monna, I hope you manage the curtains ok.
    I shall try to take my L&M's mind off work over the weekend, hopefully he will feel better soon. There are some very stupid decisions being made at work, these are adding 4 hours of extra work to his already busy days. Any questions about how his work load is to be managed are being met with shrugs of disinterest.
    And now I'll stop whinging, I took more wool to a local care home and a resident started to cry at the sight of it all.
    I've also found a home for some sheets of plastic sheeting, so one less thing for the tip.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Softstuff
    Options
    Your house piccies are astonishing Hester, so much progress so quickly, you're thundering through. Lovely that you're finding wonderful homes for it too.

Monnagran, curtain linings seem a bit.. extendable. You measure twice, cut once, sew it, hold it up and it gains a few inches. But maybe curtains are really meant to have longer linings. Just like they're meant to slope gently downwards from left to right. Right?

I've been awake since 5.45. Waiting for daylight so I can start gardening :o
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Ohgawd - that's so sad to hear about that care home resident crying at the sight of the wool. Good that she had it from you Hester - but so sad no-one had bothered to help her keep up something that had obviously been a well-loved interest of hers....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure