PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Poor old you Hester. It's one of those awful times when you think that things can't get any worse and they prove you wrong. If you have the energy try doing a bit of "chin up and Titus outing". If you don't have the energy disappear under the duvet and weep. We've all done it.

I've bitten the bullet and visited the solicitor to make out a new Will. The last one was only 2 years old but it all had to be changed including executors and attorneys. At over £400 a time I hope nothing else changes for a bit.

Tomorrow I am going out with an old lady (even older than me) We both had birthdays last month so we are treating each other to lunch. Then its back to tackle making blackout linings for DGD 's bedroom curtains. The first time I have used my sewing machine so hope I can work it out.

That's my life then.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • burtha
    burtha Posts: 903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hope things start to get better or more manageable soon hester, if not retreat to bed with large glass of wine/whisky/hot chocolate...

soft stuff, sounds like your having fun ref your father , I don't envy you ...Blackpool sounds like fun.

Lots going on here ,so feel like I haven't posted for a while , just plodding on .... charity day/night on this weekend and it seems very strange , dh running 65 miles ,early start with a finish hopefully around 7 at the club ,raffles,auction,etc etc to sort .... money will go to a local brain tumor research centre, checked that none of the money will get lost in administration ( the best we can) ... but does feel a bit strange ,putting a smile on but it's the oddest situation to be in , it's like would we be doing this if I didn't have a brain tumor ??? Yes we would is anyone had asked us ,but never wanted to be a "victim" or have anyone feel sorry for us/me , and it's putting me I the spotlight ,so to speak ,that in turn reminds me what I do have ...that I deal with ,but other people dealing with it is different/difficult.........In the quest for finding the right place for the funds to go it was very interesting , lots of the charitable places were very patronising, very scripted ,seamed to be big business ,talked to me like I was a ill 5 year old , ... drove me up the wall ... maybe I am a bit sensitive,or just bl...y mindedness but really not good , this research lab, at least spoke to me like I was real and not like I am going to drop down dead in front of them .... anyway needless to say need this weekend over for lots of reasons ... Rant over lol

Other news my fantastic grandaughter , the one that we all pushed out is 2 at the end of this month ! Happily playing with dinosaurs,muck and anything she can find is an adventure...great fun ...
    Take care all x
    £223/ £250 GC
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How lovely to "see" you burtha! The research centre sounds just the right recipient. Best wishes to you and DH! Is he really running 65 miles or was that a typo? that's further than two marathons!

Have a good day Monnagran :) and be patient with the new sewing machine ;)

HH thinking of you xx
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Goodness, it's really quiet here today! Hope everyone's okay :)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,264 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Busy with work & RL... had to have two soft tissue steroid injections the other day, so am currently taking it easy and staying away from the allotment. I went to pick strawberries last night and could tell that I'd done too much. In my defence I did pick 1.5kg!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1.5 kilos Floss? Do you have a farm! I have had 2 lovely servings of strawberries but just have one tub of plants, I was feeling really pleased with that till I read your post!

Hope you got on well with the sewing machine monna.

It was a bit chilly tonight so I have had the woodburner lit for an hour, now I'm too warm!
  • burtha
    Options
    Yes ivyleaf , really 65 miles , starting at 5am , hopefully finishing around 7 pm ish ... he did a 50 mile run about 2 year back , so this one just a bit further lol ...

My strawberry plants have just started to flower , think we must be about 4 weeks behind on the warmer parts of the country ...

Must try tonight to get some sleep tonight , to much going on so end up going to bed at 3 or 4 then back up by 7 ... carnt see to break the habit :wall:
    £223/ £250 GC
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Burtha:I must have missed the post where you broke the news that you had a brain tumour, I am so sorry. That's a ridiculous thing to say but i am truly poleaxed. Well done to your DH though. What an asronishing feat, to run 65 miles. I hope he makes lots of money, he jolly well deserves to.

Well, I had a lovely lunch with my friend. The rain held off so we enjoyed a walk along the esplanade - a bit blowy though. I was in the town where we used to live and was delighted to bump into 2 people that I used to know well. One a lovely old gentleman, wise, humorous intellectual, a real gentleman. The other was one of my homeless project chaps. It was great to see him and how well he is doing now. Married with a lovely wife and their own flat. I do hope lots of people saw me being enthusiastically hugged in the middle of the High Street by a very tall, baldheaded, earringed and heavily tattooed fearsome looking ruffian. It doesn't half rack up my street cred.

After all this excitement I was exhausted when I got home so couldn't face the curtain linings. Tomorrow is another day.

Hester is obviously still in the depths of her understair cupboard. Should we organise the search party do you think?

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1.5kg of strawbs is almost worth a bit of pain! Hope you're feelng better soon Floss.

Burtha, I'm glad you found a research lab that treated you as a sensible human, not a sick toddler, to donate to. Chances are they'll be more practical people research wise too.

Up to my neck in it here. Landscaping continuing on here, lorry load by lorry load, despite the ridiculously wet weather. Went to Brisbane yesterday to sort out some documents for the estate which went well, emailing uk solicitors, etc. Pretty knackered mentally, but can see a few lights at the end of a few tunnels.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • burtha
    Options
    Monna, sorry if I gave you a shock , just kind of "normal" now .... live life a bit full on because God knows what is around the corner... keep getting involved with lots of things now , just in case ...... so lots of work ,lots of voluntary stuff, stupid fun stuff with my kids /family and keep going , no issue really .... some days I could bang my head through a wall and it would not make any difference , so just keep going .... my youngest kids don't know and I have know intention of letting them know for a few years ( fingers crossed) , will find out come October if last year's treatment has made a difference.... If not , worst case is about 4 years time will loose sight then down hill from there , unless they can operate which will be be high risk .... fun times ahead lol ... but sure it could be worse ....but normality now so kids have the best childhood we can give them , and if I can make a difference to anything else that's a bonas.

X
    £223/ £250 GC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family