PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everyone with shoe size problems........I feel your pain. So few places do half sizes now.. I take 61/2 but often have to settle for a 6 and bash them into submission over the first few weeks of wearing. My feet seem to be as wide as they are long. Herring boxes without top sex (or topses even, ) sound just the job. When i think of how my dear mum fussed over my shoes when I was growing up. It always had to be Clark's or Start Rite and my feet were x-rayed in one of those machines that were standard fixtures in shoe shops. If I find a comfortable pair I wear them until they literally fall to pieces.

It's a bit chilly here today. I had every intention of going for a good walk but having tasted the climate I scurried back home and curled up with a book and my knitting. And here I intend to stay until bedtime.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise that shoes that fit properly are difficult to get for shoe sizes that seem to be anything different than a general bridged size 5!

Another lovely day here. Chilly but lovely. I've edged the lawn and ripped out 3 dead conifers... hands and arms scratched to bits too. Although it pains me to do it, I'm putting a couple back in it's place. I'm not a conifer fan but it's not my garden either and I would like my deposit back when I leave. I pulled them as I cant relax next to 3 dead monstrosities.

I too have cats pooping in my freshly dug out raised bed. Every bit of citrus I could find is scattered on the bare soil.

Everything is ok here. I'm busy and have a spring in my step as I now have 3 daffodils nodding their yellow head at me. My toms, peppers and brussels have popped their head above the soil and my charlottes are chtting beautifully. Outdoors I see tiny new leaf on Lyn's raspberry canes (yes I brought them :D ) but worried about the rhubarb that was here... it's flourishing as if it's mid season. The crown I brought from Dorset is still in hiding. So yes. I might not have my allotment but I'm having a ball dabbling.

Have a good evening, just about settle with a cuppa with Countryfile.
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get well soon Mancbird.

Fuddle, the chilli powder and bamboo kebab skewers seem to have done the trick. Honestly, I reckon it was the kebab skewers, not sharp enough to do them damage, but enough to stop them going on there. And a lot cheaper than other options. For cats in the veggie beds, for anyone who hasnt read previous posts!

Shoe wise I was bad enough before I got custom orthotics... very high instep, skinny bony feet, skin that blisters in cotton wool shoes, but once I got orthotics buying shoes is a nightmare. Trainers I can do ok, thankfully.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • nursemaggie
    Options
    those sound just like my feet Softstuff. I live in trainers most of the time. I ended up in a pair of £5 New Look shoes for DDs wedding. No one asked me to dance thank goodness.

I only mentioned not being able to chose because silva's DGS was eight and I cried for days because I could not have red shoes when I was 8. I guess that was better than my mum who went paddling in a stream and left her brand new shoes by the bank. When she went back they had gone. She was 8 also. They were pretty patent leather with cut out dailys round the front. I know that because she had a photo taken just before she went in the stream. I wonder what happened to it?

Yes I could not manage without my trainers. Only the ones with the big tick fit me.

You had better save all your cuttings in future for your veg beds.

Can not watch Countryfile tonight someone's CCTV is on that page and I can't get rid of it. I expect it is the corner shop across the road. All I can see is a row of back bedroom and bathroom windows so who ever it belongs to it is not much good.
  • mancbird
    Options
    When I was about 10 I went shopping with my mam for new shoes and she bought me a beautiful patent pair. They were the ones with a loop at the heel where the strap went through so you could take the strap out. They were all the rage and I'd wanted some for ages. After we had bought them, we went to C&A in the arndale centre and I put them down on the floor of the changing rooms and someone pinched them :( I was so upset :( my mam had to buy me another pair of shoes but couldn't afford another patent pair so I had a horrible pair of black lace ups instead. Never forgotten this!

I missed country file but have had a Call the Midwife night as I had 3 episodes to watch! Love that programme :)

We had some of the cornflake tart I made earlier but the pastry wasn't very good, I had a soggy bottom! Not sure what happened as I followed the recipe exactly. Hubby thinks it might be because I used a ceramic flan dish?
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
  • mancbird
    Options
    As for shoes now, I live in flowery pumps, DMs and boots! I used to have around 50 pairs of shoes back when I worked full time, but when I had my babies my feet grew half a size so most of them didn't fit anymore :( I'm a 5 or 5.5 so still get away with buying kid's shoes ;)
    Mammy to 2 boys aged 5 and 2
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    According to the physio who helped me with my knees trainers are the best in terms of foot and bridge support. When I was caring the physio advised that I get myself a pair but work vetoed it because trainers didn't send out a very professional message.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 29 February 2016 at 8:14AM
    Options
    foot support too is a problem - and trainers are easier. I sympathise with the "style to wear" if foot support is needed too. I have my fathers flat feet (darn it) and got told years back by a foot guy I needed orthotics.

I've muddled through over the years and not worn them when footwear style dictated I couldn't do so. Having to try again now - as knees are being slightly dicey and I need them to get back to normal. So yesterday, for instance, saw me putting on a pair of "Mary Jane" style shoes with inserts in and having to remove inserts because it meant the strap was rubbing the top of my feet. Fortunately - I wear jeans a lot by choice anyway - so trainers are okay with them. But I do have a problem when I wear skirts and dresses - and so have to wear normal shoes/sandals/etc. I tend to work on an 80/20 basis there (as they advocate for food - ie if I have to settle for only wearing orthotics 80% of the time what can a gal do? <shrug>). So I try the orthotics in shoes and, if they wont go in, wear the shoes anyway.

That leads to panic in case I'm upsetting my knees - particularly having been told knee replacements don't get your knees back to normal (ie as you cant then bend the knee - with present-day technology?/what the NHS give you?).:shocked::huh:. Very odd that flexible replacement knees don't seem to have been invented yet...
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I always had to have Start-Rite shoes as I had narrow heels but wide toes and Clarks didn't stay on. They didn't do so many pretty shoes :( Now I can't wear courts as they won't stay on, it's mary-janes, t-bars or laces for me. I struggle to find walking shoes too, Merrell were good until they "improved" the style, now I'm wearing Salomon low boots and Scarpa leather boots for heavy duty.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Just been remembering there are firms that will make footwear for peeps. The name Chuckle Shoes, for instance, popped back into my mind.

I've had mixed experiences with that - one pair that somehow they didn't make in correct size for me. I have subsequently bought a pair of sandals from such a firm. Fortunately - one of my "styles" is "New Age hippy" - as that is the sort of styles these firms make footwear in. Which leaves problems - with my "smart casual" style and my "elegant" style still.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure