🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

MSE News: Scottish Power banned from sales activity after failing to meet complaint t

Options

Comments

• Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays
    Options
    HaHa! Some people have beer goggles but it seems you have BG goggles. Cardew is entirely correct, BG's system performed so poorly originally and they had that many customer complaints they ended up suing the designers/installers (Accenture?). How much did it cost? £400+ million?:eek:

Sigh. My favourite troll emerges.

When will you learn not to comment on things you know nothing about?

The Accenture debacle and their current SAP migration are two entirely separate things.

I'll spell it out for you in the form of a timeline.

1. BG instructed accenture to implement an SAP based system.

2. This went disastrously badly, BG went back to Siebel (and other legacy systems, and recouped their losses of many millions from Accenture

http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/tmt--sourcing/computer-law-reports1/gb-gas-holdings-limited-v-accenture-uk-limited-and-others-/

3. BG decided once again to implement SAP, yet this time to do it in house. This time it has largely gone without a hitch

http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3585373/british-gas-completes-sap-crm-and-billing-system-migration/

I will reiterate my original point - implemented well, there is no reason SAP should cause meltdown. BG haven't fallen apart this year - whilst they are generally expensive, you don't see masses of complaints on here about their billing processes. Unlike, say, Scottish Power.

I'll await your apology. :T
  • undercover_peon
    Options
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Is ther[/FONT]e just me who thinks this is a terrible idea?

"He said that more than 500 sales advisers who are normally engaged in telesales activities will spend this period supporting customer service teams across the UK"

I don't want to generalize here and I know sales people have to be a lot more careful now than in the past but it is still a target heavy environment. Are those people equipped to take the time to take things which can be VERY messed up and put them right?

When they messed up my billing I had to tell them how to correct it, why the 'solution' they had implemented was inaccurate and wrong, and they still messed it up again. It's fixed now but they are a hundred quid lighter for it.

Anyhow moving on aren't we dancing on the head of a pin here

"[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]SAP isn't a "system" any more than Microsoft is a system.

Implemented well there is no reason why SAP should cause meltdown - given their customer base, BG complaints on here are remarkably few in number."[/FONT]

Perhaps we should look out for wording similar to new two hundred million pound (or more) billing system. Whatever the precise terminology the fact remains EDF moved and it went pear shaped, BG did and that went badly, NPower (thought quiet now) had epic problems and now Scottish Power has also gone yeah lets give it a whirl.

So we have you one example where, at the second attempt, it went swimmingly for BG against the others where, not only did it go badly, not one of the companies had the sense to pull the plug early fess up and look at solutions. They all took the head in the sand approach to crisis management.

Also I don't see where

[/FONT]"Cut down on service/systems to a minimal level, to ensure we're competitive on price[FONT=&quot]"

fits. Spending (wasting) a few hundred million on a new billing system, damaging their reputation, and then being unable to cope with the inevitable influx of customers contacting them doesn't seem to be saving money to fund any price cuts.

I guess the real question is, even if we accept your point without question re the system itself, why are some many suppliers NOT learning from others mistakes? It is so obvious to me. There must be a way to either pay a bit more and get some (non confidential) pointers on how not to make a right pigs ear of it, or do it yourself.

I do have to ask questions of the standard of corporate leadership generally. How often do you see some grand project announced with words like 'has the potential to transform...'

It is meaningless drivel will it actually do it? Why not find out before signing the cheque?

Finally Npower claimed to be carefully implementing the new system, as I'm sure did EDF. If we accept your point then they must be either liars or inept. Agreed?

[/FONT]
  • Bluebirdman_of_Alcathays
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]I guess the real question is, even if we accept your point without question re the system itself, why are some many suppliers NOT learning from others mistakes? It is so obvious to me. There must be a way to either pay a bit more and get some (non confidential) pointers on how not to make a right pigs ear of it, or do it yourself.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I do have to ask questions of the standard of corporate leadership generally. How often do you see some grand project announced with words like 'has the potential to transform...'[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It is meaningless drivel will it actually do it? Why not find out before signing the cheque?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Finally Npower claimed to be carefully implementing the new system, as I'm sure did EDF. If we accept your point then they must be either liars or inept. Agreed?[/FONT]

I quite agree that suppliers aren't learning from others mistakes - I simply said that SAP in and of itself isn't a bad thing. IT change in this country has been catastrophic, and I don't use the word lightly, the NHS has presided over the largest civillan IT project in the world, it failed and has cost £12bn to date.

As for the liars or inept? Well, if you must simplify things into meaningless wittisicms then I would choose inept - however it is worth pointing out that any mass data migration project is challenging and can easily run away with itself unless it's carefully project managed. However, these updates are necessary - BGB ran their entire customer management on an Microsoft Access DB that was barely fit for use (perhaps inherited from ENRON, but that was before my time).

I also agree ad infinitum with you on your point about corporate governance. All I said that demonising a system that simply does what it's told to is inaccurate, and I appear to be getting flamed for it!
  • dick_splash
    dick_splash Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    So annoyed after reading all this, I left scottish power 8 weeks ago, still waiting for my £595 refund cheque to arrive, called ofgem today who said they cant help and that I have to call scottish power again!!!

Trying not to get stressed but its easier said than done when that money is very much needed right now!!!! any advice?

Keep ringing until you speak to someone that will take pity on you and arrange for a refund of your balance. It probably won't be the correct amount but at least it'll be something. When I rang I gave them the full works - I had bills from my new supplier, couldn't pay them because I hadn't had my balance refunded by Scottish Power, was in desparate financial trouble as a result. Most of the people I spoke to didn't care but I did eventually speak to a human who managed to get some of the balance refunded.

8 weeks after you first complained, you can refer the complaint to the ombudsman. Scottish Power won't have kept a record of your original complaint, so "8 weeks" can be whenever you like really.

It might be worth asking your MP to help. They might help as it's nearing the election and energy companies are popular targets at the moment.

Best of luck.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I quite agree that suppliers aren't learning from others mistakes - I simply said that SAP in and of itself isn't a bad thing.

All I said that demonising a system that simply does what it's told to is inaccurate, and I appear to be getting flamed for it!

Well certainly I wasn't flaming you. Merely pointing out that BG went through a horrific period with IT.

Npower suffered also with the great 'sculpting' scandal and now SP are in the firing line.

Procurement for complex IT systems is notoriously difficult; both for those compiling the specification, and companies bidding.
  • noodle_doodle
    Options
    ironically, they were doing fine with me until they got banned this week :-)

Just got a letter asking why I didn't pay my bill last month. "But I did" me thinks, and logging onto my online account shows I did. Phone customer service, and the guy is very apologetic, confirms I did pay, but can't explain why I've got the letter, which is dated well after the payment. Bit worrying. But sounds par for the course for them really.
  • Dejay
    Dejay Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I transferred from Scottish Power to E.ON with effect from the 10th December. On the 13th January I receive a bill for the period 30th September to 8th January. I telephoned to remind them I had left and to request a correct bill. On the 6th February I received a reminder for the original overcharged bill and I again telephoned. I was told it would be passed to another section and I would receive a correct bill. On the 27th January I received another reminder with all sorts of threats if I didn't pay up! Back on the phone again and "it will be sorted". I the emailed Neil Clitheroe at Scottish Power and received a reply that they would sort it out and get back to me within 10 working days. This morning I have received yet another reminder.

I have emailed him again but do not hold out much hope of this ever being resolved.
  • lobsterthang
    Options
    Thank you !!!!!! Splash - (seems weird typing that)

I have recieved 2 emails from scottish power with an actual complaint number and being advised my complaint is being looked into.

This is a first - and they have only tried helping since the news broke the other day, it would seem they are finally pumping some resources into clearing their complaints.

Louise
  • noodle_doodle
    Options
    Thank you !!!!!! Splash - (seems weird typing that)

I have recieved 2 emails from scottish power with an actual complaint number and being advised my complaint is being looked into.

This is a first - and they have only tried helping since the news broke the other day, it would seem they are finally pumping some resources into clearing their complaints.

Louise

Yup, I complained online too (simply so I have a record of it) and I got a reply today saying yeh, they were wrong, sorry about that. Of course, the litmus test is whether they send me any more fruitbat letters from an alternate reality where they think I haven't paid my bills. I'll wait and see.
  • Purplesky_2
    Options
    Has anyone else had calls from them trying to move you (as an existing customer) into a different tariff? I was quite polite to the lady on the phone, but she clearly didn't have a THING about my account up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport