We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Protecting asigned bays

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Im guessing you dont have kids?

The car seat lifts out with baby and goes in the pram, or trolley

Well I just put the kids in the plastic seat in the trolley absolutely no need to faff around taking car seats in or out.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,768 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 February 2015 at 6:23PM
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I have a bad back & need the door fully open so I can lift myself out & lower myself back in. Can I have a special parking place please? Once out I can walk fine so I can't have a blue badge.

Me too - they can paint anything they like on the spaces and put up any notices they wish - I'll continue to park wherever I find it convenient. I am entitled to do this as is anyone else with a disability, under the Equality Act 2010 (EA10)

I don't park in disabled bays - but that's entirely my choice - and definitely doesn't have anything to do with the threats of any charges for 'breaking the rules'.

Blue Badges are not valid in a private car park anyway and sure as hell having kids with you doesn't qualify you for any extra consideration at all.

I need to have my door wide open to be able to get in and out without extreme discomfort - but like EssexExile I don't qualify for a Blue Badge and don't want one, even if I did.

I like the parent and child spaces - they are very handy.

I have no problems in France or Germany for example - the supermarket bays abroad are almost always wider.

Perhaps UK bays are narrower so that the likes of Parking Eye et al can issue more tickets for people who park with their car bumper 10mm outside the limits of the bay.
  • Pajoma
    Pajoma Posts: 27 Forumite
    Whilst I don't disagree that those without kids can use P&C spaces legally, I do think it makes you an indecent human being with no common courtesy.

That said the issue of P&C spaces drives me bonkers. We have two Young kids, one 3 and the other 4 months. When my wife drives to Morrisons, she'll do 3 or 4 laps of the P&C row or wait for a free space. It winds me up no end when there's a full row of empty spaces at the back.
  • Iceweasel
    Pajoma wrote: »
    Whilst I don't disagree that those without kids can use P&C spaces legally, I do think it makes you an indecent human being with no common courtesy.

That said the issue of P&C spaces drives me bonkers. We have two Young kids, one 3 and the other 4 months. When my wife drives to Morrisons, she'll do 3 or 4 laps of the P&C row or wait for a free space. It winds me up no end when there's a full row of empty spaces at the back.

I agree - it would make much more sense if the P&C spaces were at the back - non-handicapped parents should have no problem in walking.

The P&C spaces are extra wide to allow all these buggies and kiddy paraphernalia to be got out an in - no need for them to be close to the entrance at all.

Lets have many more of them.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,444 Forumite
    Bake Off Boss! First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Im guessing you dont have kids?

The car seat lifts out with baby and goes in the pram, or trolley

Not in my day.....everything is on a plate these days it seems.
    solution is obvious, park furthest from the door and take up 2 spaces
  • Iceweasel wrote: »
    I agree - it would make much more sense if the P&C spaces were at the back - non-handicapped parents should have no problem in walking.

The P&C spaces are extra wide to allow all these buggies and kiddy paraphernalia to be got out an in - no need for them to be close to the entrance at all.

Lets have many more of them.

:naughty:

Not very pc are we?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3708576.stm
  • Iceweasel

Yeay - I'm neither handicapped nor disabled - I just have arthritis in my knees and fingers - like almost everyone of my age.

I don't park in disabled bays in private car-parks (even though I could do legitimately) because I feel that I should leave them clear for folks with more problems than I have.

I don't give a monkey for young fit healthy parents and their children who may feel they need extra space. :p

Being PC or not PC doesn't worry me, Spicy. ;)
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    fivetide wrote: »
    They might but P&C spaces should be straight to a kerb/pavement so that there is no need to try and manage a child through a busy car park especially when they might be hidden by the cars next to them. But they aren't always. I know of at least three car parks where this is not the case.

Personally I have never seen a child run from a P&C space so either you live in an area with lots of badly brought up children not that I have noticed or you are round the P&C spaces too much when it doesn't seem like you are a P or have a C... I sometimes park next to the P&C spaces, are you suggesting I should park elsewhere? happy to be corrected on that one.

Happy to correct you on all your points.

You mustn't make such daft assumptions.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,201 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Third Anniversary
    candygirl wrote: »
    I agree that we need these designated spaces, but have no recollection of how I survived when my Dd was little:o I probably just squeezed us in n out of cars, whilst swearing loudly ;)

I think you will find that the spaces were actually wider than the cars in The Olden Days ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    facade wrote: »
    I think you will find that the spaces were actually wider than the cars in The Olden Days ;)

Yea, I managed to fit my horse drawn carriage in with no problems at all:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.