Protecting asigned bays

Options

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think they should have extra big spaces reserved for people with extra big cars.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have a bad back & need the door fully open so I can lift myself out & lower myself back in. Can I have a special parking place please? Once out I can walk fine so I can't have a blue badge.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Options
    wiogs wrote: »
    Children can, and do run, out from P&C spaces so not sure your "safety" argument stacks up.

They might but P&C spaces should be straight to a kerb/pavement so that there is no need to try and manage a child through a busy car park especially when they might be hidden by the cars next to them.

Personally I have never seen a child run from a P&C space so either you live in an area with lots of badly brought up children or you are round the P&C spaces too much when it doesn't seem like you are a P or have a C... happy to be corrected on that one.
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ben_m_g wrote: »
    but getting car seats in and out of cars can be physically impossible in normal spaces.

Why do you need the car seat out of the car?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Parent and child spaces are needed for a number of reasons, the main two for me are;

Access, those without children may not realise, but getting car seats in and out of cars can be physically impossible in normal spaces. You need the door fully open for enough space.

Why would you need to get car seats out in a public car park, other than the very first stage 1 seats, which aren't a size to require opening the door fully?

Safety, even best behaved children can forget the rules of the road or just be too young / immature to understand. With a P&C space, a child can be taken out of the car, kept with you whilst you manoeuvre pushchairs / get coats etc.

Most parents with an ounce of common sense get the pushchair, coats, bags out of the car before the child. It's not rocket science.
    I will be blunt, it is a stupid and unrealistic expectation, to just leave the kids at home. Aside from practical issues like clothes shopping when checking sizes, expecting parent to pay out on sitting services, for other peoples ignorance or selfishness is crazy IMO.

If you feel you can't take children out with you without the aid of a P&C parking space it really is best you stay indoors until a responsible adult can come with you, for everyone's safety.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    Options
    My local Tescos was strife, when I asked why an announcement couldn't be played, .
    What were you expecting to happen?

A flurry of abandoned trolleys all over the store as people raced out like black Monday to move their cars out of the way so you can move yours closer to the door?

I'm in the "find a space further away" brigade. Less chance of the cement heads who insist on getting as close as possible, crash doors into the adjacent car and consider it "not their fault".
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree that we need these designated spaces, but have no recollection of how I survived when my Dd was little:o I probably just squeezed us in n out of cars, whilst swearing loudly ;)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    I think they should have extra big spaces reserved for people with extra big cars.

They do this in the USA, where even 'compact' spaces are much bigger than ours.

P&C spaces irritate me - we never had them back in the 1970's when my children were small. You see them abused all the time.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • fivetide
    fivetide Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    I agree that we need these designated spaces, but have no recollection of how I survived when my Dd was little:o I probably just squeezed us in n out of cars, whilst swearing loudly ;)

Importantly though the cars were half the size

3498773676_5a9e69edc2_z.jpg

fiat-500-new-vs-old1.jpg?w=529&h=217

fiesta197620118.jpg
    What if there was no such thing as a rhetorical question?
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »
    Why do you need the car seat out of the car?

Im guessing you dont have kids?

The car seat lifts out with baby and goes in the pram, or trolley
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family