Turning 32, time to get it together!

Options

Comments

• Brallaqueen
    Brallaqueen Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2015 at 8:22PM
    Options
    The moment when you realise you and your partner have really different attitudes to homes and money. :(

Its not a deal-breaker as yet, his money is his and mine is mine, but it does make me wonder about the future.

He thinks high interest savings accounts are silly and a hassle.
    He thinks changing his credit card to a nought percent interest card is pointless.
    He thinks that a good (two hundred pound) suit and a fancy fountain pen will really impress interviewers for an 18k a year job.
    Most annoying of all he told me he was saving for a house when we met- but it transpires that he refuses to buy on principle because prices are too High and its unfair as his dad could afford a decent house on one wage and so on.

He has many lovely qualities indeed but he has such an unrealistic view of life and finances.
    Emergency savings: 4600
    0% Credit card: 1965.00
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Sometimes people take a little time to come round to the reality of money. :(. Don't let it get you down. Enjoy each other and keep planting the good money saving seed.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The moment when you realise you and your partner have really different attitudes to homes and money. :(

Its not a deal-breaker as yet, his money is his and mine is mine, but it does make me wonder about the future.

He thinks high interest savings accounts are silly and a hassle.
    He thinks changing his credit card to a nought percent interest card is pointless.
    He thinks that a good (two hundred pound) suit and a fancy fountain pen will really impress interviewers for an 18k a year job.
    Most annoying of all he told me he was saving for a house when we met- but it transpires that he refuses to buy on principle because prices are too High and its unfair as his dad could afford a decent house on one wage and so on.

He has many lovely qualities indeed but he has such an unrealistic view of life and finances.

As an interviewer of similarly-salaried jobs, you can tell him I'm not looking at suits or fountain pens.

Well done on your savings pot, brallaqueen. It feels amazing to have such a little nest egg, doesn't it :D
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't worry Brallaqueen, I think he is using bravado to sound confident. I am sure he doesn't really mean it.

You stick to your guns missus, we know you are right and we are so chuffed looking at the figures!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Brallaqueen
    edited 2 April 2015 at 8:17PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I know what I am doing is good, sensible and the best thing for me. I shouldn't let doubters make me doubt myself but sometimes it does get under the skin a little. I just need to be confident in my decisions.

It helps that I just made £11.34 "free" as I got my £5 Halifax reward and £6.34 in interest on my savings this month.Small beer to be sure but everybody starts somewhere!

Will update my Sig at the end of the month but little victories like this are a real boost.
  • kavalaus
    Options
    Great idea of keeping a public diary! This is probably a source of additional motivation for you. I hope you will keep it on and achieve really good results. In the meanwhile I will start a paper diary to record my saving as a first step ;)
  • Brallaqueen
    Options
    Thanks kavalaus. I do find it useful and have been paying a bit more attention to spends in the back of my mind. I'm nowhere near perfection but bit by bit I will get there
  • Brallaqueen
    Options
    In the spirit of MSE and also of pure laziness, I am putting off the monthly shop as much as possible.

Yesterday I did an inventory of the cupboard and found we had a fair stock to work through. I drew up a very quick and dirty list on the whiteboard with basic amounts (some, 1,2,3 etc) and we are updating whenever we use an item. Darling Chappie is completely on board with this and we both think a regular stock "check and use up" is a good compromise with my hoarding tendencies.

It is early days but have finished off the end of the museli and two almost empty bottles of squash that had been ignored for newer stuff.

Embarrassingly some stuff had to be binned that was dating back to 2012! Yikes!
  • Brallaqueen
    Options
    Three birthdays down, one more to go!

It is just after payday so will need to purchase a present prior and using this month's money. Next month, just DCs mum to buy for. Phew!
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have two presents to get for my friends birthdays. That's what the Christmas fund is for. But it is scary watching it go down. It takes ages to save and one click and it's gone!

Weather is glorious. I should be ironing but too lazy.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport