Paternity leave - what do you think?

Options

Comments

• Numpty69
    Numpty69 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Clearly did labour no good in the end!!! I;m sure small businesses are thankful
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just the same for the mum too.

Fair.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,995 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It is possible for twins to have different dads. That would ensure that each get paternity leave:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/twins-with-two-different-fathers-2015-5?r=US
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Former_MSE_Megan
    Options
    Speaking of paternity leave...Virgin announced that they now offer a WHOLE YEAR paternity paid in full! What do you think, dads? Are you happy to let your partners take the time off to care for your little one, or would you welcome more time off with them?

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Bluemeanie_2
    Bluemeanie_2 Posts: 1,076 Forumite
    Options
    shiny76 wrote: »
    How does the maternity/paternity rights match up with sexual equality?

Would be great for some inidividuals if companies offered the same extended rights to fathers as they do to mothers. However, I imagine if this was challenged then most companies would probably reduce mothers entitlement rather than extend the fathers.

To quote I think it's Aristotle "you can be only treat things equally insofar as they are equal."
    I'm never offended by debate & opinions. As a wise man called Voltaire once said, "I disagree with what you say, but will defend until death your right to say it."
    Mortgage is my only debt - Original mortgage - January 2008 = £88,400, March 2014 = £47,000 Chipping away slowly! Now saving to move.
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    Options
    Bluemeanie wrote: »
    To quote I think it's Aristotle "you can be only treat things equally insofar as they are equal."

Some countries do actually treat mothers and fathers/partner the same and offer enhanced pay while on leave for both.
  • ab1982
    ab1982 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    I think Paternity takes the p**s. I certainly cant afford two weeks on wages of £140 with a newborn baby and mother to support, cant see that many people could afford it unless independently wealthy or have a big savings pot.

If it we're £240 would make it more likely to be able to have a week or so but still its such a financially difficult time that we need every penny.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ab1982 wrote: »
    I think Paternity takes the p**s. I certainly cant afford two weeks on wages of £140 with a newborn baby and mother to support, cant see that many people could afford it unless independently wealthy or have a big savings pot.

If it we're £240 would make it more likely to be able to have a week or so but still its such a financially difficult time that we need every penny.

So don't take it? it's not forced?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • ab1982
    ab1982 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    74jax wrote: »
    So don't take it? it's not forced?

Ok, thanks for advice.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    ab1982 wrote: »

A newborn and mother won't need much financially, mother will presumably have her maternity pay to cover her salary so can't you use the 9 months or so warning of the event to save to cover the shortfall? The difference is unlikely to be more than a few hundred pounds so you don't need to be "independently wealthy or have a big savings pot".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure