Paternity leave - what do you think?

Options

Comments

• shiny76
    shiny76 Posts: 548 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How does the maternity/paternity rights match up with sexual equality?

Would be great for some inidividuals if companies offered the same extended rights to fathers as they do to mothers. However, I imagine if this was challenged then most companies would probably reduce mothers entitlement rather than extend the fathers.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shiny76 wrote: »
    How does the maternity/paternity rights match up with sexual equality?

Would be great for some inidividuals if companies offered the same extended rights to fathers as they do to mothers. However, I imagine if this was challenged then most companies would probably reduce mothers entitlement rather than extend the fathers.

From April the women has to have 2 weeks and the man can have the remanning 50 weeks.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Timeflies
    Options
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    Rules change in April...

In short if the mother sign to say she will finish maternity early the father can take the rest of the time, but this can be brought forward so they are off together, ie in a rough guide both parents could have 6 months off together.

In theory the mother can have 2 weeks off after giving birth and the father can take the rest of the time.

https://www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leave-and-pay/starting-shared-parental-leave

I stand corrected - sorry for incorrectly correcting you :D and thanks for the link. That's much better than I thought it was. How nice to e.g. have two parents doing full time childcare for the first 6 weeks, then one parent for the next 40 weeks, or whatever combination suits.
  • Percy1983
    Options
    Timeflies wrote: »
    I stand corrected - sorry for incorrectly correcting you :D and thanks for the link. That's much better than I thought it was. How nice to e.g. have two parents doing full time childcare for the first 6 weeks, then one parent for the next 40 weeks, or whatever combination suits.

Don't worry about it by definition I am taking from april so its not in just yet, it does seem things will be the most fair/flexible they have ever been.
    Son born 13/09/2015
  • gycraig_2
    gycraig_2 Posts: 533 Forumite
    Options
    dont believe in maternity pay it shouldnt exist at all.

can i just ahve a cheque for the money im saving my company by not having the standard two kids please ?
  • mogwai
    mogwai Posts: 1,252 Forumite
    Options
    gycraig wrote: »
    dont believe in maternity pay it shouldnt exist at all.

can i just ahve a cheque for the money im saving my company by not having the standard two kids please ?

can you also provide a cheque to the families who are raising the kids that will serve you in your old age?
    We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic. ;)

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): £13,500. Current debt: [STRIKE]£680[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£480[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£560[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£13[/STRIKE] £0 overdraft :D
    Current aims - to start building up savings
    1st £1000 in 100 days - £1178.03 :D 2nd £1053.38/£1000 :D 3rd £863.59/£1000 :o
    :j
  • BROKEN
    BROKEN Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To be honest Paternity Leave doesn't help any dad who is on low wage and doesn't receive occupational paternity pay. Tories brought in Shared Parental Leave where mothers and fathers share maternity leave as long are both working.((which is a mind field of jargon and rules and screws the brain up for payroll admins traitors.Just goes to show MPs don't have a clue what is actually happening at the moment
  • Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Whilst it is a good step, most people only take paternity leave as their company provide more than statutory amounts, ie: 100% of pay for a week (usually then followed by a weeks holiday). I can't see much take up on this.

What I would urge labour to concentrate more on is encouraging businesses to be more flexible in their working practices, so that fathers can actually leave work on time and spend time with their families, rather than having to spend most of the day at work and coming home once the kids are in bed.
  • Percy1983
    Options
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Whilst it is a good step, most people only take paternity leave as their company provide more than statutory amounts, ie: 100% of pay for a week (usually then followed by a weeks holiday). I can't see much take up on this.

What I would urge labour to concentrate more on is encouraging businesses to be more flexible in their working practices, so that fathers can actually leave work on time and spend time with their families, rather than having to spend most of the day at work and coming home once the kids are in bed.

Surely thats more down to your choice of career/employer?

Personally I will be taking full paternity and shared parental leave, this will leave us with less money but I rate time with my baby to be worth so much more.
    Son born 13/09/2015
  • wiltsguy_2
    wiltsguy_2 Posts: 536 Forumite
    Options
    my mate and his wife had twins, so he asked for double paternity leave and his request was declined. Fair or not fair....? we all took it as a joke, but he was genuinely miffed
    Plan: [STRIKE]Finish off paying the remainder of my debts[/STRIKE].
    [STRIKE]Save up for that rainy day[/STRIKE].
    Start enjoying a stress debt free life..:beer:...now enjoying. thanks to all on MSE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure