GB Energy Supply reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• alxrn
    Options
    My Wife and I changed to GB Energy from SSE in Feb this year for our two holiday cottages ( all electric ), which went smoothly. They increased unit rate by 5% in August and now for November ( next month ) a 35% increase, with comparable increases to the standing charge on top.Taking the original £56 per month to £82 for one and £93 (!) for the other. The consumption is virtually identical and in line with our annual estimate we provided. So the cost savings promoted are an illusion. Hugely disappointed so are changing again. Will stick to fixed tariff from now on.
  • Enigmatic_Me
    Enigmatic_Me Posts: 1,619 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    edited 18 October 2016 at 1:48PM
    Options
    I transferred from Eon MSE Collective to GB Energy last month and so far not impressed.

I got an email to give meter readings in September which I did. Having then heard nothing from either Eon or GB Energy I was going to call GB but could not find a telephone number on their website, it was all contact us via a form on their website so I completed that over a week ago as when I logged into my account it was asking for a meter reading.

I also supplied meter readings again. I phoned Eon who said they are still waiting final meter readings from GB

Then I get a final bill from Eon which has been based on estimated readings?

Today when I log into my account it is still asking for meter readings :mad:

I am still awaiting a response from GB Energy following my query last week and as I type this I am on hold (now 15 minutes) having found a contact number on this thread.

Edited to add I got cut off after 19 minutes. Not happy at all.
    Edited again to add I tried again and gave up after 26 minutes on hold. I have now contacted them via FB message. Having read some posts on their FB page I am really regretting moving to GB Energy.
    The best things in life are free.....
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    I've never had any problems with them. Fortunately i took a fixed rate them a few months ago.

As for the farcical 30/40% on vairiable tariffs just switch away and kick them where it hurts, they don't have a cancellation charge..
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,406 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been with GB Energy for electricity only since January. Switch all went smoothly. I was on variable rate initially - note on bill around June time that there was a cheaper fixed rate tariff available. Switched to fixed tariff with no hassle (sounds like it was a wise decision). I try to provide monthly readings, but it's not essential they will just provide an estimated bill. Overall very happy with GB Energy.
  • jblackmore
    Options
    Just a heads up to any other GB Energy customers, I've not had any notification of their November price increase, I only found out about this from posts here.

GB Energy website doesn't show Premium Energy increase, it still shows me the previous prices of Electricity (p/kWh) 10.752p Gas (p/kWh) 2.982p, which were increased in August.

According to Uswitch GB energy prices are Electricity 13.594p/Kwh, Gas 3.520p/Kwh - which is a huge increase.

I spoke to GB Energy this morning who didn't question that I hadn't been notified, and said someone would get back to me by the end of the day.

I'm annoyed as I complained on 6th September to GB Energy re changes to quarterly billing, and despite chasing this a couple of times have still not had escalation response which was due in 5 working days, so I did have the option of a fixed tariff which I've missed due to delay getting a response from complaint, as they have now withdrawn this.
  • Snooze
    Snooze Posts: 2,041 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Why is everyone whinging? Fixed tariffs were and are available but if you went for a variable tariff then you gambled whether the price would go down or up.

This time you lost so I'm not sure what all the whinging is about.

!!! there aren't any exit fee's it's not a big deal, you can go somewhere else.

Price movement on a variable tariff is absolutely fine with me and I'm happy with sensible fluctuations in either direction. However a 100% increase in the daily standing charge + a ~ 30% increase in the unit prices is not what I consider to be sensible fluctuations. That is p1ss-taking of epic proportions and thankfully there's no exit fee to switch, which is exactly what I shall be doing.

Fixed tariffs are not the holy grail that people make them out to be either as just like variable tariffs a lot of it is luck dependent and they also rely on customers forgetting to switch when the fix ends thus ending up on the expensive SVR which is exactly what they want to happen for obvious reasons.
  • jblackmore
    Options
    Having advised GB energy yesterday I was switching suppliers, and asked the £200+ credit on my account be refunded, I've had an email this morning that my Direct debit is being increased by 26% - can't decide if this is coincidence or malice ?

I hope they don't try to block the switch, as they do seem to be getting desperate.

I have saved money so far this year on variable tariff, so was happy to follow the market, but as others have said these massive un-notified increases bear no relation to the market, they are presumably a marketing decision that GB energy want to either shed customers, or make their variable rate completely uncompetitive, as I suspect it is much easier for them to have everyone on fixed rate tariffs, so they can forward buy and guarantee a profit margin.
  • Steve456
    Steve456 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Like many others, it would seem, I have recently moved away from GB Energy as a supplier.

I received an email asking for final meter readings, but their online account service refused to accept my gas reading for an inexplicable reason.

I contacted them online to give that reading, but have heard nothing in response.

I then received an email telling me my final account was online (and over £192 in credit!). Needless to say, they had closed my online account access and I couldn't see the final bill. I messaged them online. Surprise surprise - no response nine days later. I rang them. They will send a pdf copy by email in a couple of days. Oh no they won't!

Now, despite being almost £200 in credit, they have taken another monthly payment from me!

I will get that direct debit reversed so at least I have that money back, but suspect a complaint to the regulator will be the only way to progress the problems.

What is the point of ringing them? When you eventually get through, they promise everything and deliver nothing. At least when you contact them via their website and they totally ignore you, it has only wasted a minute or two of your time!
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having received notification about the increase in price, I wasn't surprised when yesterday I received an e-mail about my Direct Debit changing.
    However, I was absolutely amazed when I opened it and found that they were increasing my monthly DD by 47% from £80 to £117!
    I have a credit on the account of £164 as well.
    So after ringing 4 times and spending in excess of 1,5 hours either on hold or waiting for someone to speak to their Manager, I have informed them that I am switching.
    However, they said to me that they wouldn't refund me until they had the final readings from my new supplier as it's against policy.
    I queried this as their site suggests that you should keep about £150 credit on the account to assist with the increased costs over winter. I explained to the lady that as I wouldn't be with them over winter, this doesn't apply and in any case, it's guidance.
    She took my readings over the phone and I have been sent a new bill with a smaller credit but at least that will come back within 14 days.
    It's all a bit of a nuisance tbh as I switched from Sainsbury's to GB in Feb and am now switching back - why couldn't this be simpler!!!
    From seeing what people are saying however, I think GB may find themselves in trouble as customers appear to be leaving in their droves
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
  • jblackmore
    Options
    I think GB energy are struggling, they are bouncing complaints from resolver I discovered yesterday, which can't be a positive sign ;(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure