How much do you spend on holiday? I'M BACK AND I DID IT!!!!

Options

Comments

• TJ27
    TJ27 Posts: 741 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I'm not especially a DFW but I thought I'd add my experience to this thread.

A few years ago my brother went to St Lucia. When he returned he had another holiday on Lundy Island, which is in the Bristol Channel and only 40 miles from his house. He swore that he had a far better time on Lundy. "Yeah right", I thought.

This May I was lucky enough to be able to take my kids to Barbados. A few weeks ago we had another holiday in the Wye Valley, which is 45 minutes from us by car. Guess what? Barbados was good but the Wye Valley was absolutely brilliant!

So IMHO cheap holidays in Britain, by the sea or in the country, are often much more fun and far less stressful than expensive fortnights in "paradise". Next year I'll be able to afford to go pretty much anywhere but will probably be returning to Skye. If it's not raining Skye is absolutely magnificent.
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a loverly holiday ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    we caravan and stay on cls.our first one was in dorset and was £3.50 a night in total for 5 of us, then onto cornwall where the first site was £9 a night but that had wifi access, showers and lovely toilets. last site was £5 a night with hook up and a loo - very handy for the beach and A30 but also quiet.i take a couple of big boxes of food and then shop cheaply when there, like others say we buy ice creams from the supermaket (tescos have lots on offer at the mo for £1 a pack).breakfast we eat at the 'van and i usually make sandwiches, crisps etc. for lunch although this year we were up so late we quite often didnt have time or room for lunch. tea is usually a bbq or things to go in the oven.check before you go on the internet for supermarket locations - where we stay in cornwall there is a lidl and lots of tescos.i got english heritage membership through clubcard deals so we do lots of thati think this year we spent about £400 for 2 and a half weeks away for 5, we ate out two times in pubs, had fish and chips and the odd ice cream.although we are in debt we all need a holiday especially the kids, if we had stopped when our business failed we wouldn't have had a break for about 8 years! i do long for 5* hotels occasionally but we have such a good time why waste money?
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • katyk_2
    katyk_2 Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to butt in folks - I know this is not correct thread but I am hoping for some help urgently. I need to post a new thread in which I can ask advice on timeshare schemes but, being totally computer illiterate, cannot work out how to do so!
    Any advice would be very welcome as I only have a few days left in which to pull out unscathed if I decide to.
    Thanks
    Katyk
  • katyk_2
    katyk_2 Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Please disregard above request - thread now posted.

IDABDWI - I really hope your holiday goes well and you have a super time.
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :hello: Welcome back ida :hello: . Glad to hear you had a great time and, being on nights, read your post on the giving up thread so knew you were back.

ym
  • Snaggles
    Snaggles Posts: 19,503 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you had a lovely holiday! Do we get to see the holiday snaps?:D
    "I wasn't wrong, I just wasn't right enough."
    :smileyhea
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    to the OP, i hope you finally had a lovely holiday. we also noticed that two of our bikes had been stolen yesterday, first wasn't chained up but not worth much, but one of ds's bmx's was in unlocked shed:eek: and was also nicked so sympathise with you.

i think any dfw who manage to achieve a bargain family hol either in the uk or abroad while debtbusting deserve a mega large pat on the back:j
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • yellowmonkey
    yellowmonkey Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    031-welcome-home.jpg031-welcome-home.jpg

See the banners are out already awaiting your return.

chardonnay sorry to hear about your bikes. Hope it all gets sorted for you

ym
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thanks yellowmonkey but i think it is our own fault for not locking them up- doesn't stop us despising the robbers:mad:
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport