Barclays Say NO!

I received a letter today from Barclays today which states the following

"We regret to inform you, that following a review of your account(s) with us and after careful consideration, we are unable to continue to act as your bankers.

Therefore your account(s) with us will be closed on 01 April 2015."

So now I am running out of banks -
HSBC - left due to poor customer service and debt paid off slowly
First Direct - HSBC in another name debt paid off
LTSB - left debt -slowly paid off still have one loan outstanding
NatWest - Obtained £1k out of them for poor customer service, left as no improvement. Credit Card debt being paid off slowly.
Halifax - refused bank account prior to opening Barclays.

I don't really have the time to find new account, especially if its going to be NO. Any suggestions of a decent bank, with high standards of customer service? All I need is a debt card, I do not need an overdraft, credit card, loans ect.
Proud to have dealt with our debts
Starting debt 2005 £65.7K.
Current debt ZERO.
DEBT FREE

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 January 2015 at 6:43PM
    peteuk wrote: »
    ... Any suggestions of a decent bank, with high standards of customer service?
    Looks like there is no bank/BS that can live up to your high standards.
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    edited 30 January 2015 at 6:46PM
    co op or tesco, or post office or Santander. I have found Barclays to be a bit up themselves but still have an account with them, but no money in it. I will soon close the account once I am satisfied with my new bank.

Metro bank although there "stores" are only within London at the moment with a few outside. Check their site.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Nationwide/Co-op/TSB/Santander/Yorkshire Bank.

Define high standards of customer service?

I find service varies from store to store, not just the company. I don't use a Tesco near me as it's awful, yet another one just further along gives good service.

I think the same can be said with banks if I am honest, you may get a better service from branch to branch.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pinkdalek wrote: »

Define high standards of customer service?.

A bank that doesn't send you a new card for no reason and then doesn't tell you why other than suspected security incident.
    A bank that doesn't start inventing its own security questions or says it will ask you two questions and then go on to ask four or five.
    A bank that has a basic level of customer care that when a customer phones up to complain, listens and take the details correctly so when the situation arises again it can refer back to the original complaint.

I know i'm asking for the impossible....
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 January 2015 at 7:46PM
    I know I am perfect, so it must be everybody else.

Seriously, I have 16 accounts with various providers and never had course to complain to any of them. Don't know what your expectations are but you are obviously not living in the real world.
  • peteuk
    peteuk Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ceredigion wrote: »
    I know I am perfect, so it must be everybody else.

Seriously, I have 16 accounts with various providers and never had course to complain to any of them. Don't know what your expectations are but you are obviously not living in the real world.

Thanks for the observation there, so glad my mother taught me that if I had nothing nice to say don't say anything!

Yes I live in the real world and no I don't think I have high expectations. Customer service is simple, phone when you say your going to phone, complete the actions when you say you've done them. Eight times I told Barclay card that a previous occupant didn't live at my address. Each time I was told it was sorted. No further letters would be sent....each time I would continue to be sent personal information, credit card details, payment details ect.
    Current debt ZERO.
    DEBT FREE
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    is it possible that your apparent trail of debt, may be a factor is the banks' attitude?
  • pinkdalek
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    is it possible that your apparent trail of debt, may be a factor is the banks' attitude?

That should have nothing to do with a banks attitude.

You help someone through a stressful time, they are more likely to return back and remain loyal.
  • pinkdalek
    A bank that doesn't send you a new card for no reason and then doesn't tell you why other than suspected security incident.
    A bank that doesn't start inventing its own security questions or says it will ask you two questions and then go on to ask four or five.
    A bank that has a basic level of customer care that when a customer phones up to complain, listens and take the details correctly so when the situation arises again it can refer back to the original complaint.

I know i'm asking for the impossible....

You're not, I was simply just asking what you define as good service.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 January 2015 at 8:55PM
    Thanks for the observation there, so glad my mother taught me that if I had nothing nice to say don't say anything!

Yes I live in the real world and no I don't think I have high expectations. Customer service is simple, phone when you say your going to phone, complete the actions when you say you've done them. Eight times I told Barclay card that a previous occupant didn't live at my address. Each time I was told it was sorted. No further letters would be sent....each time I would continue to be sent personal information, credit card details, payment details ect.

You wouldn`t be admitting to opening somebody else's mail, would you . Particularly something from a bank that's probably marked private and confidential. That would be one very good reason why Barclays have chosen not to do business with you . Like any other business they are fully entitled to make that call.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure