MSE News: Warm Home Discount to be extended to low-income families

Options
An additional 70,000 low income and vulnerable households will be able to get a £140 discount on their electricity bill...
Read the full story:

Warm Home Discount to be extended to low-income families

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Viberduo
    Viberduo Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    To be clear, currently I get lower care and mobility DLA would that alone make me elligable? I do get ESA too but I am waiting for a yearly assessment that hasnt been organised yet so may not get it at end of year.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    Disgusting. As usual, it is only those who already receive additional funds who qualify for help. If you don't really need it you get it. If you do, you don't.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2015 at 12:02PM
    Options
    Viberduo wrote: »
    To be clear, currently I get lower care and mobility DLA would that alone make me elligable? I do get ESA too but I am waiting for a yearly assessment that hasnt been organised yet so may not get it at end of year.

Yes - as long as your GROSS income does not exceed £16,190 pa - but they don't say whether this includes DLA or not !!
    I received the letter from Scottish Power - giving me the new rules on Tuesday (27 Jan) and the scheme closed on Thursday - not giving me enough time to apply this year !!
    According to the rules - I should have received the letter by Dec 24th...
    DISGUSTING !!
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    Yes - as long as your GROSS income does not exceed £16,190 pa - but they don't say whether this includes DLA or not !!
    I received the letter from Scottish Power - giving me the new rules on Tuesday (27 Jan) and the scheme closed on Thursday - not giving me enough time to apply this year !!
    DISGUSTING !!

The new rules apply from next winter. For the current winter the suppliers set their own criteria, which you should be aware of as you posted about this before?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Something else for the rest of us to pay for.

If we all paid for what we used rather than having to pay for two or three others who either don't pay or get a discount then prices would be a lot less and we'd all be able to afford it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DISGUSTING !!
    The Warm Home Discount requires the big suppliers, by law, to help vulnerable customers pay for energy. Those who are eligible are still able to get a £140 rebate on electricity bills for winter 2014 to 2015, though it won't be automatic for some.
    Who's eligible? The core group it helps are those who get Pension Credit, but this winter households with a prepay electricity meter will be able to apply too. You're eligible if either of the following applied on 12 July 2014:
    • You were 75 or over and got the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (and you got Savings Credit).
    • Your name, or your partner's name, was on your electricity bill.
    There's also a broader group that energy suppliers consider for the rebate, but this varies from supplier to supplier. It's worth calling yours to check.
    Why do expect to get this?

Haven't you got thousands stashed away? more here

Didn't you buy a second new car with cash recently? more here

You subscribe to Sky TV more here

Do you really believe that you are a vulnerable customer who needs help with their energy bills?

If you are eligible, then there is something seriously wrong with this scheme!

To use your word

DISGUSTING !!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • pugsley29
    pugsley29 Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I used to get a discount just for having a low income, this went away and doesn't look like it is coming back, I would say I spend 45% of my income on gas and electric.

So this change will help a few but is not back to the levels it once was.
    Wishing you a lucky 2023: 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
  • Viberduo
    Viberduo Posts: 1,148 Forumite
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    Disgusting. As usual, it is only those who already receive additional funds who qualify for help. If you don't really need it you get it. If you do, you don't.

I need help and under new rules would get it so thats a flawed thing though I know theres a huge amount of people who play the system, we are one step away from people saying the poor should be in workhouses.
  • pugsley29
    Options
    The government cannot afford the workhouses and a meal a day is more than people get at food banks which adds up to 9 days of supplies every six months, churches help out feeding the homeless and needy but not everyone can afford to get to their local feeding point. A lot of these poor are actually in work but cannot afford to live.

People are now paying council tax and bedroom tax out of benefits which are worked out at the minimum people can live on and then taxed to take them below that. Some would love to move but cannot afford to, grants are available if you pay upfront and claim back but hardly anyone can afford to pay up front, so catch 22.

If some people are playing the system there are lots that are not and struggling.
    Wishing you a lucky 2023: 🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀
  • sheep-ali
    sheep-ali Posts: 573 Forumite
    Options
    DISGUSTING !!
    I am with Scottish Power and did not receive any letter about new rules but I did get my Warm Home Discount payment for 2014/15 put on to my meter last weekend..... a lot earlier than it has been in the past. :)
    I have not received any communication about it at all. I applied online as part of the broader group in August 2014 so maybe it pays to apply early.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure