MSE News: Warm Home Discount to be extended to low-income families

Options
124»

Comments

• markharding557
    Options
    Every year my partner and I freeze our socks off. We are sick and tired of living like this. I swear one day some one will find us both dead from the cold. We are both retired and made the mistake of working all our lives. NO BENEFITS FOR US!!! we are the silly devils that worked to pay for everyone else to benefit from the state. :mad: So for all out there that have the luxury of free or reduced price heating and help toward bills - enjoy. Because every bit of benefit you get is gained from donkeys like us. If I had my time again I would sit on my backside and do nothing that way I would be able to switch the heating on instead of sitting with a coat on and and a blanket - what a luxury that would be.

Don't you receive pensioners fuel allowance (a benefit ), a state pension which is inflation proofed better than most peoples wages and if you have no other income, pension credit.

I think the people who are about to loose £1000+ from tax credits are the ones who have something to complain about not some ungrateful pensioners who don't realise when they have nothing to moan about.

You're a net taker from the system now because when you retired you became a liability to the state.
  • Weeping_Angel
    Options
    Hello, I'm with OVO Energy and I asked to apply for the WHD on the 2nd September 2016. They said they will register my interest but never told me anymore than that. I emailed them a few days ago to which they replied "the applications have stopped on 1st December". I was not told and have no idea if they actually put my application through. I have emailed them back, telling the of my disgust at no communication from them and if my application was put through. I looked on their website and it says it will be working through them on a first-come-first-served basis. I reckon I won't get it this year and I'm not happy about that because I've had WHD with other suppliers before and have had no problems getting one. It's shocking that they don't communicate well with you, to inform you of anything!
  • spidwid
    Options
    Hello I received a letter today stating I qualified under SSE supplier however, after watching your programme on tv, I switched suppliers and now they have said last application date was 3rd Jan 2017. Can I automatically change it from SSE to my new supplier SAINSBURYS ENERGY if so how do I do that please? If not changing suppliers as actually cost me more as I will lose my entitlement kind regards spidwid
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    spidwid

You cannot transfer the WHD between suppliers. You will have been advised when you were assessed that the payment could go on any time up to the end of May and that you needed to be on supply with the original company to receive it. The only contradiction to this is for people on Guaranteed Pension credit as the supplier they were with on 10July 2016 would still pay it even if they went elsewhere. As Sainsbury's scheme closed on 2nd January it means you have missed out this year.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • missy1967
    Options
    Warm Home Discount - Can you clarify the eligibility please. I have moved home and had to reapply with new suppliers and have just been told i am not eligable due to my sons wages who still lives at home. Im disabled, on ESA, PIP and my son still lives at home so that there is someone still with me in the property. Im slightly confused as my prior supplier EDF had no issues, yet B/Gas are now saying it has to be done on both of our incomes and ignoring my eligibility to the scheme......can anyone advise please ?
  • Joyful
    Options
    Missy1967

It has always been the rules that the total household income must be less than £16190. This means if your son works and it takes the income over the threshold you should never have received the WHD in the past. Make sure that you have been added to The Priority Service Register though.
  • missy1967
    Options
    So therefore it does not go on MY eligibility - MY ESA or MY PIP entitlement ?
  • Joyful
    Options
    Nope. It goes on the full income coming into the house. Think of disabled Millionaires. They don't eed the money. Also living with people bringing money into the house means they should be contributing to the house hold expenses too. Even if you choose to take no money from your son his income still counts.The WHD is for poor households.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport