We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Deliveries from ShopSignalBooster

Options

Comments

• Collabora
    Collabora Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    Silk wrote: »
    If when he registered the domain it was as an individual with no business status as a Corporate or Entity then it was a legal registration.
    If he already had a business and used it to set it up then yes it should have been registered as a corporation or separate entity if they own the domain.

As soon as he starts a business he has to get this changed to reflect that. If he is just changing the type then he would need to contact who he registered the domain through so they could do this, or he could do it through the domains account with nominet which is free, but if he want the change the registrant then he would need to get Nominet to do this and they charge £10+VAT.

Nominet have the power to revoke the domain if this is not done ones they are made aware of the issue.

If reported to Nominet they would contact whoever the domain was registered through asking them to change the details within 48 hours otherwise nominet would do this and then charge the registrar £80+ VAT

The business in an Entity that is not an Individual or a corporation
  • Collabora
    Options
    One more thing that is a worry and if it was a UK based site would breach trading laws.

It has

No Phone Number
    No Physical Address Listed
    No Email Address

also if you check it is less than 12 months old
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Collabora wrote: »
    As soon as he starts a business he has to get this changed to reflect that.
    Where does it say that if his business hasn't registered the domain and he wants to keep the registration for himself ?
    It's not just about the money
  • Collabora
    Options
    Where does it say that if his business hasn't registered the domain and he wants to keep the registration for himself ?

If a .co.uk domain is being used for business purposes then the Registrant type must reflect that
    The list of acceptable values for the registrant type field is given below:

Code Description
    LTD UK Limited Company
    PLC UK Public Limited Company
    PTNR UK Partnership
    STRA UK Sole Trader
    LLP UK Limited Liability Partnership
    IP UK Industrial/Provident Registered Company
    SCH UK School
    RCHAR UK Registered Charity
    GOV UK Government Body
    CRC UK Corporation by Royal Charter
    STAT UK Statutory Body
    OTHER UK Entity that does not fit into any of the above
    FCORP Non-UK Corporation
    FOTHER Non-UK Entity that does not fit into any of the above

Note: Organisations in Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man are classified as Foreign Organisations.

Guidelines for use
    LTD, PLC, LLP, IP
    In the case of a UK company - Limited Company, Public Limited Company, Limited Liability Partnership or Industrial Provident - you should enter the registered name of the company or partnership in the 'account-name' field.

The account address is mandatory in all cases. Postcode fields should always be entered for UK addresses, and postcode syntax checks are made. Always enter a postal town.

If the registrant also has a trading name, you should enter it in the 'trad-name' field. You do not need to enter a trading name if they do not have one.

You should enter the registrant's Companies House Registration Number in the 'co-no' field.

IND, STRA, FIND
    In the case of an individual, or a sole trader you should put the real name of the person in the 'account-name' field. A pseudonym or trading name alone is not sufficient. If the registration is made for an individual with a pseudonym, the preferred format is real name aka pseudonym.

You are advised to fill in the 'trad-name' if the registrant is a sole trader. It may be a breach of the Business Names Act for a sole trader to hide behind a trading name without disclosing his or her own name.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,110 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    i sell domains and are both ICANN accredited and Nominet accredited, so am fully aware of the registration requirements and if you are making money from a domain then it has to be registered as such. if he was in the UK he would have to register as a UK Sole Trader.
    In Ireland then he needs to register as one of these

FCORP Non-UK Corporation
    Then I suggest tahat you have a read of the current rules on the Nominet site para 4.

.co.uk is now an Open SLD and there are no limitations or rules about the status of the owner whether they run a business or not.
  • Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If a .co.uk domain is being used for business purposes then the Registrant type must reflect that
    I shall ask the question again with a little more detail then ...........
    If at the time of registration the individual has no business or trading name, where does it say he has to transfer the registration into a business name if he wants to keep the registration in his name ?
    It's not just about the money
  • cwoodham
    cwoodham Posts: 432 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all who replied to my post. I didn't realise it was illegal to boost a poor mobile signal (for personal use) in UK. I guess that's why I couldn't find this booster for sale on Amazon.

I'll try to get my money back from MasterCard.

Any suggestions on how to improve a poor mobile signal in a house? It's fine outside the house and in the garden.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Both O2 and '3' offer wifi 'boosting' via broadband:

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Three_inTouch
    http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go
  • Collabora
    Options
    !!!!!! wrote: »
    Then I suggest tahat you have a read of the current rules on the Nominet site para 4.

.co.uk is now an Open SLD and there are no limitations or rules about the status of the owner whether they run a business or not.

well i guess i will speak to my account manager at Nominet and let them know they have to consult with MSE.

when will people understand MSE is NOT THE LAW
  • Collabora
    Options
    I shall ask the question again with a little more detail then ...........
    If at the time of registration the individual has no business or trading name, where does it say he has to transfer the registration into a business name if he wants to keep the registration in his name ?

he does not need to transfer to a business name he has to declare the Registrant type

which for a .co.uk domain in Ireland would be either

FCORP Non-UK Corporation
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills