60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council

Options

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Yes that would be a perfect solution except for one problem.

Cyclists should not ride on the pavement, but do, so the same law breaking cyclists will now break the law by cycling on the road.

So nice idea, but I the sensible solution is still to ban the cyclists from the area.

No, the point was, whatever you ask cyclists to do, they ignore it.

And then moan.

Really. Care to point out in your own words where that's written?

In the Haymarket example the council could easily reduce the taxi rank width/capacity and create a safe segregated lane that doesn't inconvenience vehicles,pedestrians or cyclists.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 1 February 2015 at 9:56AM
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    And then, they post on cycling threads and whinge even more.

Fascinating (not really), but then I am posting from the position of a pedestrian not a motorist.
    custardy wrote: »
    Really. Care to point out in your own words where that's written?

Did you bother to read what Oldfatgrumpy had written, which was "dedicate the pavement at the area in question to cyclists, and divert the pedestrians into the tram lane". i.e. the cyclists must ride on the pavement, the pedestrians must walk in the road.

Hence the comment "Cyclists should not ride on the pavement, but do, so the same law breaking cyclists will now break the law by cycling on the road." i.e. whatever the rules are, even if they are for their own good, cyclists ignore them.

Simple enough for a cyclist to understand?

custardy wrote: »
    In the Haymarket example the council could easily reduce the taxi rank width/capacity and create a safe segregated lane that doesn't inconvenience vehicles,pedestrians or cyclists.

They could, but they would be wasting their money, as cyclists would still ignore it and take the dangerous route. And then moan.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    Altarf insists
    I am not prejudiced against cyclists.

Yet also said (from a quick review of the last few posts)
    Proportion of car drivers that are bad drivers = minimal
    Proportion of cyclists that are bad cyclist = lots
    There are a few bad motorists, there are lots and lots of bad cyclists.
    And they then moan and whine
    nice idea, but I the sensible solution is still to ban the cyclists from the area.
    whatever you ask cyclists to do, they ignore it.
    And then moan.
    whatever the rules are, even if they are for their own good, cyclists ignore them
    Simple enough for a cyclist to understand?
    They could, but they would be wasting their money, as cyclists would still ignore it and take the dangerous route. And then moan.

So, Altarf, you might insist that you're not prejudiced against cyclists...

...but not only is that a lie - you're in denial. ;)

A dislike of cyclists (or any other groups that behaves differently to a recognised norm) is well understood psychologically. Perhaps you and the others need to understand how and why this happens, so that you can be a bit more open minded and tolerant of others.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • frisbeej
    frisbeej Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    No, the point was, whatever you ask cyclists to do, they ignore it.

And then moan.

Are you sure you're not a cyclist?

You seem to have posted a lot of moaning posts, and most of them are moaning about other people moaning.

I think you need to shave your legs, pull on the lycra and join the dark side!
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Nope. There are a few bad motorists, there are lots and lots of bad cyclists.
    Nope. You ignore, or are unaware of, poor driving because you are a motorist but aim to find fault with cyclists because you don't like them. Your judgement is very biased.
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nope. You ignore, or are unaware of, poor driving because you are a motorist but aim to find fault with cyclists because you don't like them. Your judgement is very biased.

I don't think he is a motorist, but being a pedestrian will give him a very limited view on how bad motorists really are.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Norman_Castle
    edited 1 February 2015 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Proportion of car drivers that I see as bad drivers = minimal
    Proportion of cyclists that I see as bad cyclist = lots

If I can't see that I'm prejudiced, then perhaps I need a white stick and a dog.
    At last you're starting to recognise your prejudices. You don't need a white stick, you need a pastime. Ever considered cycling?.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    I don't think he is a motorist, but being a pedestrian will give him a very limited view on how bad motorists really are.
    I'm pretty sure he's a motorist but choosing to post as a pedestrian in an attempt to portray being an innocent victim of terrible cyclists.
    His limited view is from his dislike of cyclists.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    A dislike of cyclists (or any other groups that behaves differently to a recognised norm) is well understood psychologically. Perhaps you and the others need to understand how and why this happens, so that you can be a bit more open minded and tolerant of others.

Open minded and tolerant of self-centred individuals, who choose to break rules they don't like. Hmmm.
    frisbeej wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not a cyclist?

Until my job changed, I cycled every day to work in London. Never found the need to break the rules, but saw many that did. Even got one prosecuted and fined for it.

I am aware of poor driving, although 95%+ of my travelling is by train or walking. It is just everyday I see a much higher proportion of cyclists who ignore the rules, than motorists.
    Retrogamer wrote: »

In proportion to the number of motorists, few are very bad.

In proportion to the number of cyclists, lots are very bad.

Now as a cyclist, you are going to put your blinkers on and deny it, but as cyclists you ought to be honest with yourselves.

Do you keep to the rules, or more accurately given some of the posts in this thread, do you actually know what the rules are?
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    I am aware of poor driving, although 95%+ of my travelling is by train or walking. It is just everyday I see a much higher proportion of cyclists who ignore the rules, than motorists.
    Including the rules on speeding?.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport