60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council

molerat
molerat Posts: 31,838 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 24 January 2015 at 2:27PM in Public transport & cycling
[STRIKE]50[/STRIKE] 60 cyclists are to sue Edinburgh council after accidents crossing the tram tracks at a poorly thought junction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-30951833

The picture does seem to show an accident waiting to happen, do street designers need to go on a common sense course ?

Comments

• RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wow, are these the cycle paths that certain posters on here insist that cyclist should be legally forced to use. :rotfl:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,838 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 January 2015 at 3:42PM
    http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/News/Urgent-safety-review-into-flagship-700000-cycle-lane-just-weeks-after-opening-05122014.htm

It does seem that a cycle route is a "must have", if a few cyclists get killed / injured in the name of being "green" then so be it :o A busy winding hill road 4m wide total including a cycle lane each side, makes you wonder at the intelligence of these planners.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    No doubt this is the lycra brigade on their skinny tyred racing bikes, we get the same sort moaning in my area about the gravel/chippings on the canal towpaths giving them punctures. Perhaps if they are successful at screwing money out of the council they might use it to buy bikes that are fit for purpose.

What will we have next, sports car owners suing the council because speed humps are damaging the underside of their vehicles.
  • Johno100 wrote: »
    No doubt this is the lycra brigade on their skinny tyred racing bikes, we get the same sort moaning in my area about the gravel/chippings on the canal towpaths giving them punctures. Perhaps if they are successful at screwing money out of the council they might use it to buy bikes that are fit for purpose.

What will we have next, sports car owners suing the council because speed humps are damaging the underside of their vehicles.

Hi I think you will find you are wrong, I'm not one of the ones who is to sue the council but I have had accidents. I've been cycling a mountain bike with high traction, wide tyres in Edinburgh for 12 years and before the trams I had 2 small accidents with just a cut or graze. In the past year I have had 3 accidents on the tram tracks, one of which sent me into busy traffic and left me limping for a few weeks, I still have some of the scars. Edinburgh has become one of the least bike friendly cities in the world, for the first time ever I have considered giving up cycling as I have a genuine fear now.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    So after your first spill on the tracks you didn't modify your behaviour and avoid them?

Well good luck to those getting the money, which I hope will come out of the council's cycling budget. Anyway I'm sure if these cases are successful the council will as a result prohibit cycling in the vicinity of the tracks on the grounds of health and safety.
  • Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Johno100 wrote: »
    I'm sure if these cases are successful the council will as a result prohibit cycling in the vicinity of the tracks on the grounds of health and safety.

You may have been joking, but that is clearly the only sensible solution that is guaranteed to solve the problem.

It would be rather a pyrrhic victory for the 50 cyclists if their case resulted in 'No Cycling' streets.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Anyway I'm sure if these cases are successful the council will as a result prohibit cycling in the vicinity of the tracks on the grounds of health and safety.
    Well they sure as hell are not going to rip up the tramways considering how much it originally cost to put them in.

There is nothing like a Pyrrhic victory to bring things in to perspective
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Surely the council are simply going to stop the cycle path before & after the tracks and put up a sign saying dismount & walk through them.

And then the cyclists will ignore it & still fall on the tracks etc.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looks like that corner could easily be taken with a little counter steering.

Seems a bit much to be sueing the council.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If they can not see a set of tram tracks they might be better staying away from anything with wheels.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport