🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Snoring

Options
I think my snoring is going to destroy my relationship. I can imagine my OH slowly resenting me the more she doesn't get sleep. Neither of us want to sleep in separate rooms either which makes it hard.

So far I've tried.

Nasal strips (cheap) - Didn't work
Little finger ring (ebay cheap) - Didn't work

I think it's hereditary, my mums side are all chronic snorers. However I'm not going to deny that my weight is probably playing a part, I've started making an effort with that so we shall see how that goes.

My next stage is to try Nasal spray by Nytol..

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• greatgimpo
    greatgimpo Posts: 1,256 Forumite
    Options
    His and hers earplugs - hers to stop her hearing your snoring, yours in case hers don't work and she goes on at you!
  • browneyedbazzi
    Options
    You should speak to your GP about it. If you snore a lot you may suffer from sleep apnoea which can be dangerous. Also, there are proper treatments available rather than wasting money on snake oil cures sold online.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you overweight? Being overweight can lead to snoring (more).

• codemonkey
    codemonkey Posts: 6,534 Forumite
    Options
    Go to your GP and they will refer you to a ENT or a sleep clinic who will have better solutions.
    Eu não sou uma tartaruga. Eu sou um codigopombo.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you sure you don't want to sleep in separate rooms?

Why?

I thought the same - but actually I think I was more worried about what other people would think. I started going in the other room to get some sleep, and haven't really looked back. I always thought I suffered with insomnia, but now realise I just sleep better on my own (with a cat usually!).

My OH goes to bed about 10pm. I go up around 12.30am. I never just get straight into bed which he finds annoying. Also, he likes the windows (if not too cold) and curtains open - I don't. His snoring is sometimes really bad.

We were driving each other slightly crazy so now I just go straight into the other room and OMG it's lovely! I can sit there stroking Lottie playing Candy Crush before I nod off, or read FB, or read a book, and not worry about waking him. I can straighten the sheet, make sure the duvet is the right way round (unlike with him where it seems to end up sideways by the time I come to bed), and I can actually sleep!

We go away for the odd weekend and share the same bed, sometimes have people stay so are together, and we're looking forward to holidays in Feb/Oct and I know I'll have to suffer with earplugs for 7 nights, but they can irritate my ears and make them feel sore (I have very sensitive ears after suffering with vertigo).

Anyway, maybe try a month apart in separate beds and see how you get on? Could always sleep together on a Fri and Sat night.

We're a very loving happy couple, btw :)

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    My o.h had his tonsils removed after suffering many episodes of tonsilitus as a bonus it also remedied his awful snoring.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    My OH lost a couple of stones and his snoring improved massively. He only now snores if he has a few pints which thankfully isn't that often.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I once came across a bracelet thing that gave you a little electric shock if you started snoring, so that you changed position. It was about £150 though and it was rare I shared a room with anyone else so I didn't bother.

Sewing a tennis ball into the back of your pyjamas is supposed to help too, so that you can't sleep on your back.

I think mine's getting worse though, I've just been on holiday and stayed in dorm in a hostel, people were throwing things at me to get me to shut up.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I once came across a bracelet thing that gave you a little electric shock if you started snoring, so that you changed position. It was about £150 though and it was rare I shared a room with anyone else so I didn't bother.

I knew someone who tried this. His partner, who complained about his snoring, also snored, and when she snored, he got the shock!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    Ames wrote: »
    I've just been on holiday and stayed in dorm in a hostel, people were throwing things at me to get me to shut up.

That'd do it! :rotfl:

OP, the GP is definitely the way to go. Not always a quick and easy fix, though.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income