PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

June 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• sheba
    sheba Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ayup my chickadees,

So I can declare my full and final ahead of tomorrow's cut off point (for us anyway) as am out all day tomoz and meals pre-sorted with no need for further spending. So.... (drumroll please) Having spent a further 38.48 in the past couple of days across 4 shops and an eaterie I have come in at a total of 555.27 so 55.27 over my desired budget of 500 ( think disappointed bugle sound)

As previously stated I am actually pleased with this as my past CC statements reliably inform me that pre-GC I was spending an average of about 675 a month on groceries etc, so being mindful (and using shopping apps) has already reduced my spend by far. Am setting myself the same target for next month and the main thing I've learnt is to pace my shopping better and not glut buy the more treat based aspect of my grocery list. I still intend to glut buy things for my store when they're at my preferred price but perhaps in not such great quantities and also I want to not leave things in the freezer so long but have a more rolling stock thing going on there so gonna defrost some of the long term inhabitants before incarcerating some newbies in there.

So hopefully some lessons learnt, that may result in savings also, btw, have for first time ever planted crops!! Soft lettuce, chives, chillies, tomatoes, raspberries, rhubarb and strawberries, so maybe some saving there too??

I shall sign off now and bother you no more except to wish you all well and may your purses stay shut!
    Ttfn

Sheba
  • rdone
    rdone Posts: 569 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 1 June 2015 at 2:30PM
    Options
    Over spent last month but had a few unexpeted plans crop up which involved doing specific shops for them.

Have never made a meal plan before as we just go with what we fancy but I think it's time to start.

Can I put down £150 for this month and hopefully we'll manage it. I see no reason why we should not!
    My debt free diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6348513/large-renovation-tiny-budget-lets-go/p1?new=1

Debt: £14,896.33 @ 21/04/2020.
    Down to: £4,982.12 @ 08/06/2022
    Today: £14,256.23
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks zippy and solstice.
    My first time doing recipes so sorry if I get any wrong, please if any are not working just give us a shout and I will endeavour to fix it.

Only started the lists today, hopefully will have them finished soon. Just having a bit of family time and working some kind of meal plan. Good luck to everyone :)
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hiya everyone and a warm welcome to all the new peoples :hello:

Thank you Zippy, Coxy, Solstice and Kezlou for the work you do on here keeping us all in order :D

Tidy up Tash - and everyone else - please note we don't use the F*** word on any of these threads. If we haven't made our targets then we just try harder the next time or maybe relook the target ;)

Please put us down for our usual £200 for the month please. We are still in May until the bitter end so will 'see' you all laters.

Good luck everyone with the June challenge
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Put me down for another £200 this month as with 2 freezers full and a huge store cupboard I just shop to replace items when they are on offer. :j
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Week of 1st

Breakfast:
    (HM or Lidl) Yogurt, (frozen) Fruit, Oats - Can be made in batches on Sunday. I have 4 tubs of yogurt in, so I have to see if I can stretch them or make some more to make them last Monday to Friday.

Lunches:
    2x Baked potato with beans and cheese
    2x Shredded chicken pasta
    1x Soup and ryvitas
    2x cheese/ham/mushroom omelette

Dinners:
    1x (frozen)whitefish, potatoes and peas
    1x Sticky Pork steaks, rice, stir fry veg
    1x Pork stirfry
    2x Butternut squash, aubergine and sweet pot tagine
    2x Stuffed squash

Bought 3 melons, mushrooms, sweet potatoes (cheaper than potatoes), 2 mangos, raspberries, strawberries and 2 kilo of bacon = - £14.50

Had a baked potato with beans, cheese, and 3 cups of tea = - £5

Still need to buy bean sprouts, eggs, a tin of chilli, food bags.
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Really cross with myself as I went over budget by nearly 6% in May. It was four shops' worth of mooching that did it :@ .

Onwards and upwards, my meal plan is written for June, and there isn't much needing to be bought for the main meals. Hope to use up a fair bit of stock so I can actually shut my cupboard doors!!

Did some C*******s shopping today, and found £1.01 roadkill. Well, £1 of it was a coin left in a trolley!!?!!

Tomorrow will be marmite on toast for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch and not sure about dinner yet. Need to spend some time prepping bits to freeze as the fridge is overflowing at the moment.

Night all,

PG x

Ps - I'm doing a weekly shop on the 31st, but as none of it will be touched until the 1st, it's being counted as part of June...
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,929 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Budgets list updated to here :)

Welcome/welcome back to:
    jennypennysaver, cabsy83, fuddle, chirpychick and Cheapskate :D

Good luck everyone for June :D

Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: HSC Winter Panel 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens 15/24
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,630 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to be on holiday for part of June so have decided to have a month off - but I'll be back again in July!

Denise
  • cabsy83
    cabsy83 Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    Good morning! I wasn't planning on starting my challenge until Monday but I ended up having to buy stuff that will last into next week so I decided to start today and spent £21.02 in Farmf**ds.
    I've been thinking about ways to save money over the month and one of my big expenses is my children taking packed lunches to school 5 days a week so instead of buying biscuits or cereal bars for them I'm going to make some myself. So far we've tested oaty biscuits, chocolate cup cakes and fairy cakes and they've been quite popular! Going to dig out the recipe books and see what else we can try!
    Trying to fix my finances whilst living with 3 kids and 2 cats! 👩🏻👧🏻👦🏻👶🏼🐱🐱

January Grocery Challenge (starting 31/12) £0/£350
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 9 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills