PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

June 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been absent from OS for a while (ahem, about 2 years) and really need to get back into the swing of things.
    We have an exceptionally tight month and I need for us to live off £100 I'm not quite sure how that will work given my fridge/freezer and cupboards are almost empty but I need to give it my best shot.
    There are myself, my husband our 2.5 year old and our dog in our household.
    2.5 year old is in a mixture of nappies/pull ups but I am currently trying to toilet train him.

I'd like to join in on the challenge please.
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Started my month: £77 spent so far:
    £6 in Morrisons
    £42 in Tesco (includes £5 on Lynx showergel for bf as it's on offer)
    £29 in Asda

I went to Tesco as I had some Orchard vouchers that needed using for the ice cream programme and also some of the offers I'd seen online were really good for us. I was shopping there all the time until around February but wasn't convinced that I was really saving enough and I was definitely right! As of next month I will use ASDA for the most part and Morrisons for offers/top ups.
    I included some little extras for bf to welcome him back from his two week trip and some treats to take to the caravan next week for our little holiday :)
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • sheba
    sheba Posts: 218 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I sign up for the June challenge with the amount of

£500

(Sorry I can't enlarge or colour off my iPad)

My month runs from 28th to 27th and amount allowed covers all groceries, cleaning stuffs, toiletries and any eating out/ takeouts -just not special event dining- that comes under the good times budget ��
    Still a couple of days to go for me for Mays GC so I will declare my full and final there and here on Thursday 28th, sadly I am into damage limitation at mo but fingers crossed that June fares better for us
    Ttfn
    Sheba
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    We really need to get on this! £250 for us from 29/5/15-29/6/15
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • tatabubbly
    tatabubbly Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Signing up for June as I'm trying to save some moola for a special purchase - €150
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • scotmumof3
    scotmumof3 Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to everyone whor keeps this great thread going :T:T
    So far in May I am coming in under budget so I am going to drop Junes down to £300 Still a few days left for me in May so see you all soon :)
    Debt free as of 29.10.2020 🎉😁
    SPC #73 Feb NSD 0/20
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone

Been MIA from MSE for a while, but need to get a grip on the spending again so am rejoining the threads.

Please can I join in for June with a budget of £450? This is for 4 adults, (2 with luxury tastes who need re-educating! :D ) 2 children and 1 cat.

Many thanks for having me back. :)

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello, I would like to join for June, and inspired by NST Samiszel, I am going to try to bring the belt down by a notch and go for £130.

This is for 2 peeps and 2 kitties. I shall begin on Friday 29th May, and hopefully won't have to spend much for the first weekend as I am off to see family peeps the first weekend.
    Home improvement payments £16.8K to go

May Grocery Challenge: £249.63/250

Decluttering 1134/2024 Awards 🥇
    (30/05/24)
  • NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 May 2015 at 11:18AM
    Options
    I am a horrible, horrible person that can't stick to a budget to save my life.

Seriously, more than double my budget last month, mostly on eating out with friends, dates with a couple of possible new blokies, junk food, and many, many lattes at work. :mad:

So, self recrimination over, planning ahead. I'm going to try and work my food budget out fresh from scratch.

Predictable expense one:

This month, I have a date this Saturday (dinner out and cinema) so need to budget maybe £30 (meal, drink, ticket, transport).

Next date is my turn to pick, so I'm going to suggest a bike ride and picnic. :money:

Unfortunately we're not at the stage of hanging out watching dvd's on the sofa, but maybe by next month :o.

Predictable expense two and three:

There's a leaving do at work (lunchtime), so again that's likely to be about £10-15 (meal and drink at restaurant).

Then towards the end of the month I have lunch with my mentor. We take it in turns to pay, and this time it's my turn, but it's normally £20-25.

Social budget = £70 :eek: (Will be my MAX)

Given that's half my budget, I can see where I've been going wrong...

So, realistically what else am I going to spend?

If I allow 1 coffee a week (£1.25x4) and 1 cooked breckie on a Friday (£2x4)

A baked potato at the market when I go for my shopping (£4x2)

The fruit, veg, bacon and cheese at the market (£25x2)

Two chickens from co-op or the butchers (£7)

And likely two trips to Lidl for milk, bread, ham, eggs, mushrooms. yogurt... and fruit tea bags so I stop going for coffee so often (£15x2)

Groceries = £110ish

Total = £180

Add an extra 20% margin for the unexpected, and I'm going to try and go for £210

Still a ridiculous amount for one person... but baby steps :A
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • 86mrsd
    86mrsd Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm going to be joining in for June, I need to get motivated to stop spending so much on food!
    I'm going to go for £240 from now until 25th June, there's 5 of us. 2 adults, 2 boys and A baby.
    Wish me luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family