PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Kim317
    Kim317 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, can I be put down for £200 again please

I have joined april a day early as the shopping we are doing today would have waited till tomorrow but as we are going to sainsburys today to make the most of the nectar double up it seemed silly not to do the lidl shop as its right next door.

We have got a voucher for £10 off as well so makes it even more worth it
    February GC £181.99 /£200 NSDS 16/28
    March GC £202.36 / £200 NSDs 16/31
    April GC £210.64 /£200 NSDs 16/30
  • wiggly
    wiggly Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've made a meal plan for the whole of April, based on what I have in already. I've aimed for chicken once a week, etc etc and I feel quite good about it. Way back when I first became a single mum, I used to do this all the time, then converted to weekly. I've recently become sick of eating the same few meals all the time, so my month's plan doesn't have any repetition! Will used up some of my mahoosively ridiculous stock, and should make for a fairly frugal month.

Happy with that!

PG x
    Would you be willing to share your plan?
    Trying to get on top of finances one step at a time
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    PennyGrabber, I noticed how much better we ate when I meal-planned properly! I only did it weekly, but was able to look back over previous weeks so we didn't repeat too much, planned new things to try at least once a week, we had desserts and even the odd starter!

I'll do a meal plan for this week and maybe next week as well at the same time, not sure I can jump right to monthly planning yet.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Signing up for April, with a budget of £244.90 please

I need to try and come in well under budget (blown March's, so need to claw back), and my bank balance says I need to try and account for as high a percentage as possible from stocks, with as little as possible beyond milk and veg coming from the shops. Biggest problem will be if Costc0 put their chicken breasts on offer from next week, as I need to stock up on those :o
    Cheryl
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,079 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone

Well I've put my £25 in my purse and I hope it's lasts the week! It should do because I have enough food in, I don't meal plan at all because I don't stick to it, so I look in the cupboards or freezer and go from there, I do have good stocks in but I should stop spending on stuff. Anyway here I go.

Today is a meatless stew I made for yesterday and there's enough for today and tomorrow, and its porridge for breakfast and hm soup for lunch which as I will make when I get in (doing my babysitting at the moment whilst dd is at work) but I will use the bits and Bob's that are in the bottom of the fridge, a tin of tomatoes and whatever else I can find.

Anyway Nanny duties calling
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen
    April - nothing
    May - 
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have totally under estimated my grocery budget this month, as i forgot the children are home for 2 weeks. So can i please add another £100, making it £350 this month?
    Thanks. They are eating me out of house and home already, and its only the 2nd day! We are off out to the beach for a few hours, to burn off some of that junk food. I'll be packing a picnic, so shouldnt need to spend any money.
  • bmma
    bmma Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    Hi April's budget -starting on the 6th is for £40 per week thank you :j
    :hello::coffee:Penny Pincher in training
    Keep Calm Keep Vegan:):staradmin
    year's food budget £1,920
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well I came in under budget on March Challenge by £3,50 (lol), but it seriously killed me mentally. Im gonna try £60 again for the month, which runs from 1st to end. Last month I did buy unnecessary stuff like ys sarnies, etc. Im hoping I can meal plan better out of stores, n freezer n mainly spend the money on fridge stuff. This will not include easter eggs or the 4 birthdays I have coming up.
    Hello. Been missing for ages, I was seriously ill in hospital for two months (Dec and Jan) and my recovery is horribly slow. I'm due to drop to half pay and lose my working tax credits :eek: so I really need to get a grip on my spending. I can't drive at the moment or walk very far so am restricted pretty much to online shopping and the local shop (not cheap!).
    Sorry to hear all that, good luck with everything.
    Can I join in at £25 a week, I really need to get this down to around £15-20 a week,/QUOTE]
    I think starting off higher is good, so you can see where to make savings, but it really is doable. I think the key is building up a store cupboard and maybe a couple of times a week really eating cheaply, like pasta etc while building it up. Doing a rough meal plan also, which includes stuff already in. Good luck to you.

I swear I used to be on a thread/challenge where it was something to do with your purse, you had x amount to spend on groceries but then a bit in the purse to put aside in case you bought for next week? (Along those lines!) I can't remember what it was called!
    It was motherships second purse like PennyGrabber said, I didn't really find it too easy (lots of people did though), but I do have an easy system I use. Certain things on offer I will stock up on, so what I do, I buy them, mainly washing liquid/fabric conditioner, toilet rolls, and I will put them in stores with a sticker price on them. When I need them, I will then incorporate the price into that months budget, as if i was buying them from the shop.
  • Hoipolloi
    Hoipolloi Posts: 663 Forumite
    Options
    Soon will write up a shopping list from my fortnightly meal plan i made up. :beer:
    :staradmin: June NSD's 2/19:staradmin: Sealed Pot #460 :staradmin: £/day £185 saved :staradmin: W.S.C 2015 #45 :staradmin: F.P. 2/24 months :staradmin:
  • GettingOrganised
    Options
    Back in for April - looking to stick to £220.
    SPC # 348 2014-£169.07/2015 - £156.89
    GC 2014 Feb-Dec £2931.62
    GC 2015 Jan £216.93/£220 Feb £291.97/£215 Mar £213.64/£220 Apr £207.62/£220
    DFBXmas2015 #40 - £3,474.61/£4,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business