Mortgage free by 2023 (!)

Options

Comments

• debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Been thinking about my long term goals. The savings to the month in hand fund assume that we will never touch this money as I've increased the targets year on year.. so it will be more like a long term savings goal, so I might amend this to long term savings and build a seperate month in hand fund of £3k..

I do find myself mulling over money a lot at the moment and will be glad when normality returns a bit after Christmas so there is no more expenses as such.

We would like to get a back door put in next year, so plan to get a few quotes early in the year to see if we can get this going.. if they do an interest free repayment option, then I'd be happy to take that as we are pretty desperate for this door to go in.

30p picked up on 1poll whilst I'm sitting here playing hairdressers with DD. it's a pleasure / pain experience with her as she removes a fair amount of hair whilst 'brushing' my hair!
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone (02/19)
    MFW (08/08) £118k Gone (09/23)
  • SueP19
    SueP19 Posts: 1,876 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Try Fleabay for a door, loads cheaper :j
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.. only issue is we need it actually putting in, so a wall being knocked through and window taken out and then everything made right again.. it's a bit beyond my usually handy hubby.. if we could do it ourselves, we absolutely would do..
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Just completed a 80p surey on p- so hit payout on there again with balance at £10.10.

Really tempted to track this survey earnings next year. the other thing I'm planning to do is to buy Christmas presents throughout the year with these earnings.

As usual, I've gone over with the few weeks leading up to Xmas in terms of spends.. I also want to start buying one nice present for people instead of several ones.. hence maybe spending less?

I am determined 2016 will be the year of the scrooge in our house, but I need to do it discreetly because DH is on board with the OP's and the scrimping and saving, he gets frustrate sometimes if I suggest not doing something because of finances.

I really have to get into the mentality of whether I absolutely need things and if so, how cheaply can I get them. I didn't sign up to slimm1ng w0rld and have requested a refund from We1ghtw@tchers and instead will use myf1tnessp@l as it's free.

I really want to sell loads as well, so again may keep track of that as well to see what I make.

Having thought about the CC's / OP's - I am clearing CC2 with payday.. even though it was cleared a few months ago with money sitting in out account, that money then went towards the blasted car bill. So that one is going. Next up is the everyday one with (being honest) about £700 worth of stuff on there so I will clear that to the point that we only spend what we have on it to gain the points.

Then finally, poor old CC1 that I so desperately want rid off. Clearing it in 2016 will be virtually impossible, but I will do as much as I can to pay off as much as possible.

Sorry I've waffled and in the middle of this took a call from the tumble drier replacement messing me about with delivery days.. who will only deliver the two days I'm not here after cancelling their deliveries twice and then demand that one of us is here.. I can't take holiday and no way is DH taking a day holiday when they have messed me about twice already with delivery dates.
  • SueP19
    Options
    Thanks - I hadn't thought of that.. only issue is we need it actually putting in, so a wall being knocked through and window taken out and then everything made right again.. it's a bit beyond my usually handy hubby.. if we could do it ourselves, we absolutely would do..

We are complete DIY novices but last summer we re roofed a flat roof, blocked 2 windows up, made a window hole larger and inserted a nearly new window, if we can :D
    Debt Free Diary - Second Chances! Life in a Tourer........Tilly Tidy Founder in 2016, Tilly Tidy 2023 £17.43, NSD Jan 2023 9/10, Debt £13,491.65
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    SueP19 wrote: »
    We are complete DIY novices but last summer we re roofed a flat roof, blocked 2 windows up, made a window hole larger and inserted a nearly new window, if we can :D

Food for thought then, thanks SueP
  • sarahevie1
    Options
    I think DIY is definitely an area you can save loads in, the ex was never handy and I daren't. The prices they charge, coupled with some shoddy work I've had done in the past really puts me off
    HOME
    Original mortgage free date Nov 2037
    Mortgage free August 2018

Additional properties
    Mortgage 1 £108,000
    Mortgage 2 £45,000
    Teacher pension - DB scheme
    LGPS pension - DB scheme
  • SueP19
    edited 22 December 2015 at 2:05PM
    Options
    I started with easy stuff this summer, painting, skirting boards, coving :mad: then rewire a light..........tip take a picture of the wiring when you remove the cover, not easy to put 8 wires back in right holes after the event and electricians will use opposite colour wires to create a loop, then came tiling :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

OH did the window and it was easy, hardest bit is getting the window level both horizontally and vertically so it opens etc.............we even had to take double glaze glass bits out at one point............google it Yo*T*be is fabulous.

The flat roof was replaced using a rubber kit very easy to do :T:T:T

Next project is bathroom, I have some of the bits but are waiting for a B*Q voucher from mum and dad for xmas for the tiles :D:D:D
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Well you convinced me to ask DH again and he is going to have a go, so a result there. First up we need to find a door. Need to identify what colour the rest of our glazing is as I'm all for saving money, but we have a dark UPVC double glazing everywhere else in the house, so need to match up. Thanks SueP.

Joy - my everyday CC got refused today, I knew we were close to the limit, I've sent a payment and it obviously hasn't reached there yet.. Anyhoo, spending is finished on there.. I just got the fuel on my DD card instead, I've the money in the account..

Started to sort things out to sell, as I've said massive clearout coming up in 2016 and I will log it all to see how much I make.

DH isn't working this arvo, so he can supervise the littlies whilst I try to clear out some of their toys for selling in February in all honesty as they won't really sell in January as everyone is skint!
  • debtfreeoneday
    Options
    Ending up blitzing our room.. still can't find the missing book I got for their Xmas eve box.. grrrr.

Chucked out some stuff and have a little pile of stuff to sell. have tons of kids books to sort through next year, we went to the library for some peace and quiet today which was nice. Came home with 12 books though!

Anyway, payslip arrived and finally I have my back pay. So month in hand fund up to £100, (need to think of a better name for this), so I obviously didn't meet the target for this and I have to say, I'm still debating whether to save for one of these.. I think I would rather pay everything off because I know once it gets to £300 / 400 - I will want to put it towards debt...

Mortgage won't go out for a few days so I'll do a final post about that towards the end of December
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport